Soooo what happens when...

Options
... you stay under your calories but not your macros? Will you still lose weight?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is calories in/calories out
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Calories is what determines weight loss/gain

Macros are important to give your body what it needs to maintain muscle and have energy to function. Being over on one or two macros will not hurt weight loss. MFP settings are a generalized ratio so make sure they are set to your personal needs.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I go way over sodium....I gain pounds for a few days. Blah. So I try to stay under sodium and calories but those are the only two I personally worry about.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There are many different body types out there, and many of us have different goals, and ways of achieving fitness. For most people, the calories is the biggest thing to worry about for weight loss, but depending on your body type, and methods for fitness, your macros can make a big difference in how you achieve your weight loss, and how your body is transformed.

Without the proper macros, you may lose weight, only to find yourself "skinny fat".
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    the only thing i really watch closely for overages is sodium. only for the reason that if i go over i hold on to a lot of water. im usually over on sugar and carbs and ill be honest going over on carbs makes me a little uneasy but when im under i find that i get weird smells in my nose after i work out. im not intentionally trying to do low carb, couldnt care less about that in fact but i definitely dont want to go WAYYY over

also i try to get enough protein :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    The only two things I care about are calories (to make sure I'm staying under) and protein (to make sure I'm going over). I don't really care about carbs or fat, I eat them, I just don't care if I'm over or under.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The only two things I care about are calories (to make sure I'm staying under) and protein (to make sure I'm going over). I don't really care about carbs or fat, I eat them, I just don't care if I'm over or under.

That's pretty much me right now too.

I do like to track the carbs (and processed carbs in particular) and monitor how they affect my overall feeling of hunger/satiety though.

As a former low-carber I know that if I push the boat out too much on the processed stuff then it makes maintaining a calorie deficit a lot more difficult for me.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you'll lose weight, you just wont be as healthy. It really is calories in/calories out.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I go way over sodium....I gain pounds for a few days. Blah. So I try to stay under sodium and calories but those are the only two I personally worry about.

that is just your body retaining water due to the sodium.. i should avoid it more myself, but it is nice to see all that extra water weight from salt fall off and reveal your fat loss since the last time too.. :P
  • eratess
    eratess Posts: 19 Member
    Options

^^this. I know my calories are a bit low, on here, compared to my rough estimate for what a deficit from TDEE would be. So, I'm not even HORRIBLY concerned about the calories if they go over by 150-200 or so on any given day.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I don't really pay attention to my macros; I just make sure I don't go over on any. Between following the MFP "plan" and heavy lifting, I'm seeing a lot of progress.

Heavy lifting is what will keep the skinny fat thing away.