measuring pasta

Options
Should pasta be measured dry (before cooking) or after cooking for an accurate food log entry?

I would love an answer soon.

Thanks!

Replies

• delights
    Options
    I measure it after cooking
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    after
  • hmr1117
    Options
    in many cases the serving size on the box specifies if it is measured dry or prepaired...I try to go by that otherwise I always measure before cooking it since cooking it adds loads of water to it...
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My boxes always say measure dry.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Good Lord if you do it after, with all the water pasta soaks up, you'll get like 9 noodles for your 210 cals!! Why would you want part of your precious calories to come from water??
    Measure before.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think one should measure before. Thats what I think!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I eat Rozoni Healthy Harvest (Whole wheat pasta) and on the Serving Information it says "2oz dry". I have a little food scale. I'm glad I knew that it was 2oz dry because the serving size is actually more than I thought. I cook for 2 (me and my hubby) and I usually put 4 oz in, and then cut the amount in half afterwards. (Now that I do MFP he's all up on his serving sizes too..haha!)
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    Found this on a different website, its from the biggest loser dietician:- HOPE THIS HELPS!

"Another key point I teach the contestants is the importance of measuring raw vs. cooked foods

When vegetables or proteins (such as chicken) are cooked, they lose water and the calories become more concentrated. This means you need to look up the calories for that food in its raw form if you are measuring it raw (or cooked form if measuring it cooked).

Here is an example:

6 ounces of raw boneless skinless chicken breast - 182 calories

6 ounces of cooked boneless skinless chicken breast - 280 calories

there are 54% more calories in the cooked chicken because 6 ounces cooked started out weighing considerably more than 6 ounces.

Same thing with vegetables

1 cup raw broccoli has 44 calories

1 cup cooked broccoli has 52 calories

After measuring all of your foods for a few days, it will become easier to make estimates by eye (such as when dining out) without having to measure everything. You'll always need to weigh and measure new foods the first time you try them though, so keep the measuring tools handy.
  • Mangoaddict
    Options
    How do I measure pasta? Pasta can be measured before or after cooking. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is that pasta doubles in size and weight when it is cooked. Here are some guidelines to follow when measuring pasta.

* Cooked pasta can be measured by using a measuring cup or a food scale.
    o 1 serving = ½ cup or 2 ounces of cooked pasta

If you would prefer to measure the pasta before you cook so you are not making too much food, the following tips can be helpful:

* The most accurate way to measure uncooked past is to use a food scale.
    o 1 ounce uncooked pasta = 1 serving
    * If you are making strand pasta (spaghetti, angel hair, etc.), they do make tools to measure pasta. Typically on a pasta measure, there are several holes that are different diameters. This allows cooks to know that they are making 1-4 servings by filling the holes. Pasta measures are inexpensive and can be a great way to achieve portion control when making strand pasta! Take a look at my store to see what a pasta measure looks like.
    * Measuring out pasta shapes can be a bit trickier for those who are not using a pasta scale. Shapes vary in size, so they do differ slightly, but a good rule of thumb is:

Approximately ¼ cup of dry pasta shapes = 1 serving for elbow macaroni, shells, rotini, cavatelli, wheels, penne or ziti.

In summary, a good generalization to measure pasta measures is as follows:

1 Serving cooked pasta = 2 ounces or ½ cup

1 Serving uncooked pasta = 1 ounce or ¼ cup

Yes, I know that your thinking…a half-cup of pasta might not be enough to satisfy a hearty appetite. Remember, the average person needs 6-11 servings from the Grain food group per day. So, feel free to have more than a half-cup of pasta at a meal, just be sure to count it as more than one serving. Also, try adding extra vegetables to the sauce, have a side salad or a small chicken breast along with the pasta. This will help you to fill up while keeping your pasta portions in check.

http://www.nutritionwithamy.com/?p=129