Thanksgiving Meal ..... It's coming!!

Options
Okay, as we all know...Thanksgiving is literally right around the corner. I am curious as to how members are going to handle that day considering that the average plate of food on that day is approx. 3000 calories. YES...that many. And....I don't think that includes the pie. SO.....just wondering how you will handle it, and what tricks you may want to share with the rest of us. I am so going to try to eat and cook healthy that day....hopefully my family won't notice when I slip the "whipped tofu pumpkin pie" in the menu!! Let us all know what you plan on doing different this year...or what has worked best for you in the past!!

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Cycling to work every day next week, about 18 miles round trip a day. I also plan on eating well under my calorie goal every day with a deficit of approx. 700 calories per day for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. With the rain and cold weather, this should allow me to comfortably eat that level of calories on Thursday without feeling totally stuffed. I also plan on bringing my food scale to dinner and logging what I eat. I don't plan on making any "healthy" choices, I'm going to indulge in the traditional meal, I just am curious how much I can put away in one sitting. :bigsmile:

I could potentially start a bulking cycle right after the holiday weekend. I think the Thanksgiving meal would be a decent start to a bulking cycle, but I'll have to be sure to have the time in my schedule for all those hours at the gym.
  • tarahale78
    Options
    Before I go to my mother's for dinner I am going to eat something healthy here at home. That way when I get there, I'm not hungry and don't want much of anything. When I do get a plate, I will be taking my own portion size plate that I got when I was pregnant to help me with my gest. diabetes. Also, I will be drinking water instead of pop, tea, juice or milk.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I am going to go for a 4 mile walk in the morning, then eat what I want during the day.

It is one day a year. The days coming up to it and after it, I will eat at my normal calorie intake.
  • Christylee76
    Christylee76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am glad you mentioned this. I am dreading that day too calorie wise. My husband says to just let it go for one day, however, I cannot.
  • kayla1125
    Options
    I was worried about Thanksgiving coming up but have decided that I am disciplined enough now to just eat one plate and not over do it. I plan on making healthy choices with the exception of the Turkey and Dressing that my mom makes, but it will be portioned out. I will not take any leftovers home either. I also plan on exercising that day and not getting off my schedule that I have set for myself as far as exercise is concerned. I love all the food at Thanksgiving, but I have come so far that I am not going back with this meal.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm going to indulge like normal ;) but I load my plate with the veggies from the relish tray my uncle always brings, the cornbread casserole my mom makes, potatoes, and homemade sausage dressing...mostly the relish tray veggies! I don't eat the turkey (not a fan of it unless it's mixed into gravy and drenching mashed potatoes...not a healthy choice so I'm avoiding that), I don't like ham, and my mom won't make any chicken. I know, not great choices, but I know the calorie count in my mom's potatoes pretty well, the corn casserole isn't that many per serving, and the dressing is just freaking AMAZING.

I'm limiting myself to one slice of peanut butter pie (and saving myself some cheesecake for Friday) and having raspberry tapioca as dessert.

Oh, and this is probably all I will eat on Thanksgiving, since we eat at an odd time. I'll still workout like normal, but I wont beat myself up over it if my calories are over (if I even bother to log them).
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference this year is that I can no longer eat bread, so there will be no stuffing. :( I'm hoping that the alternative rice dish I make with all the same spices and other ingredients will satisfy the traditional flavor craving. Other than that, I plan to eat as much as I want and enjoy it.

I look at my calories on a weekly basis, so I will be restricting Sunday through Wednesday to some degree and hitting the gym every day. In the end, shouldn't be much different overall than any other week.
  • AngelsheriHackley
    AngelsheriHackley Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't plan to eat that much different maybe one cheating item that's it I have come too far to mess up now.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm going to eat whatever I want. Life is supposed to be pleasurable. I'll increase my cardio and weight lifting in the week prior to and after that day, and cut my intake to1200 calories the next day.
  • dleg6380
    dleg6380 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Last year I made a good sized salad with veggies galore and a small amount of turkey on top and balsamic dressing. This filled me quickly and I was able to eat a small sliver of pumpkin pie, which is my favorite that I could not deny myself. But I felt OK all day, not stuffed like the turkey on the table!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I seem to have established a pattern of one splurge meal a month so Thanksgiving will be it. We haven't planned the menu yet, but sweet potato casserole, stuffing and gravy will definitely be on the list. Other than that, i might replace lunch with a light snack so I don't feel so guilty about dinner. Lots of veggies, salad and a 9:30am Zumba class to get me revved up.
  • Allihexen
    Allihexen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Most of my stuff is made to be diet savvy. I've also decreased my calories for the time being. We'll see how it goes.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Im going to eat whatever, in quantities that will leave me full. Then ill drive two hours, repeat, drive two more hours, repeat.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm an apocalyptic eater (one "slip" or indulgence often leads to a WEEK of crap and gym aversion) so I'll be having a plain baked sweet potato sprinkled with chopped pecans, a hefty serving of baked turkey breast, and a bunch of water :-) Pretty much food as usual for me...
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Basically I'm not going to worry about strict calorie control BUT...

I will make choices. Some things I really really really like. I have it. If it's not on my OMG list, it's okay to skip it even if I do like it.

I will limit my portions. It's about tasting and enjoying. It's not about over stuffing ourselves. Save that for the turkey.

I do not have to eat absolutely everything. I also do not have to eat a lot of anything. Nor do I need plates and plates of food. One is enough.

Chill. Socialize. Enjoy the day. Don't make it all about the food.
  • rosesigil
    rosesigil Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm planning what I will make and eat ahead of time: turkey, stuffing, candied sweet potato, cheese potato, whole cranberry sauce, peas, pecan pie, diet iced tea, coffee. I know the calories and yes they are about 3000 for just that dinner. I'm counting and I know I will be way over for that day. Just that day. I won't extend it beyond that day. I've prelogged it and actually I may not be able to eat that much when the day comes! We'll see, but I'm just going to enjoy and then back to normal on Friday! Oh yean, I forgot crescent rolls! Hope I didn't make evryone hungry! I did my own self! :happy:
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm all alone, so I'll eat whatever I have here, and maybe rake some leaves. Yippee.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on eating a light breakfast, whatever I want at lunch and dinner (we have 2 families to celebrate with) and get back on the wagon on Friday...hope it won't be too bad!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the mature avoidance route and working Thanksgiving Day and the day after.

There will be no temptation, it's the best way for me to deal with it.
  • Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm an apocalyptic eater (one "slip" or indulgence often leads to a WEEK of crap and gym aversion) so I'll be having a plain baked sweet potato sprinkled with chopped pecans, a hefty serving of baked turkey breast, and a bunch of water :-) Pretty much food as usual for me...

YES!! I am exactly the same way. Just one slip-up and it all goes out the window. I am so horrible at recovering!