Supplements and such...

Options
I really want to get some feed back on supplements, protein powders, green tea pills etc. What is the load down on such things. Is it good to use supplements like Fat burners or Green Tea pills. Do protein powders help? I want to do my weight loss as natural as possible and have heard good and bad things. But also need a boost here and there. What are some good ways to help my immune system, metabolism, digestive all of that? Do these things help? I have been told of a website for this exact thing but what can I trust? Some of the products I have seen I feel are a scam and very bad for your health. What/ how are some ways to help my process along but without risking my health. Should I invest in a protein powder for befor or after workouts for mucle support? These day i don't trust companies becuase I feel like all they want is money!

thanks for any feed back!

Replies

• sleepygirl38
    sleepygirl38 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I just ordered advocare. Im starting their 24 day shread. I dont know if it will help or not but I sure hope so. I will add you as a friend so you can see if its helping me or not. At the mixer event went to, I met other people that stand by the poduct saying it helped them to loose weight and gain energy
  • craycrayhair
    craycrayhair Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like using protein powder after a weight training workout. Some people say you can get enough protein by just eating it after a workout - but it is just so easy to fill a water bottle, shake it, and go when you're leaving the gym. I've never used it after just doing cardio (running, elliptical). And I've never tried anything beforehand - just making sure I'm eating enough during the day. On days I don't eat enough calories, I can tell that I'm weaker.

The only other supplements I take are a generic women's daily vitamin and flax seed and/or fish oil. If you are eating the right foods, you shouldn't need much more in terms of "supplementation" to your diet.

Eating the good/whole foods and drinking lots of water will also help with your immune system and digestion. You shouldn't need to take a pill.

There is a lot of hype out there about how often you need to eat/how much at a time in order to boost your metabolism. Some people swear by 5/6 small meals a day (basically eating within an hour of waking up and then every 2-3 hours). Others don't think it matters WHEN you eat, just that you get the right ratio of carbs/fats/protein. Play around with it and you can probably figure out what works best for you. Eating small meals several times a day - rather than waiting several hours between meals can help you make sure you don't overeat just because you feel super hungry, for sure.

Fat burners and pills that "boost your metabolism" usually just raise your heart rate and make you feel jittery. That isn't any fun.

There are a lot of resources on MFP and elsewheres on the internets about all of this. Just one woman's opinion/experience here. Try different things, see what works for you. But I would try to go about it in the most natural way possible.