Oil substitute

Ok went to a church thing the other night and learned something COOL!! I might be slow at learning something, so if you know this sorry I am excited but I am just learning it. Instead of using HIGH calorie oil to cook with. Grind up and puree a can of beans (water and all) and use it instead. Instead of 1/2 cup of oil use 1/2 cup of bean puree. You can't tell the difference but the calorie difference it will make are HUGH!!!

Before I even know what the meeting was going to be about we were handed a small pancake and a small piece of brownie and they tasted GREAT. HONESTLY they were really good. Instead of oil being used the person used bean puree.

Replies

• tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Do you mean for baking, cooking or both?
    For baking I usually replace half the oil with apple sauce. Beans are definitely a lower cal option than oil, too. I've seen a lot of black bean brownie recipes floating around, yet to try them. Do you taste the bean at all?
  • I am starting to use it in my baking. I have not gotten the guts yet to try it with cooking. Not sure if that would even work. I made my kids FAVORITE pancakes (from scratch) this morning and put black bean puree in it, instead of the melted butter is called for and they have no idea and can't taste the difference.