Beginning Zumba

Options
Need Tips!!! I bought the white case (I think it's the older set) of Zumba, with hand weights. I am going to start "zumba-ing" tomorrow. One problem. I have NO rhythm and I CAN'T DANCE to save my life!! While I am not expecting miracles, I am wanting a realistic starting time trying for around 15 minutes, but I need TIPS. Any Zumba experts help me out with how to stay upright and encouraged?

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    If your doing it on carpet and plan on wearing sneakers get an old pair of pantyhose and cut the ends of so that you can cover your shoes with them.. They will help with the pivots and slides.. and don't be disappointed if you can't do more than 15 mins to start with..

You will have fun... I love it!!
  • Guamybear
    Options
    oh, even if there are moves I can't do right.. I imagine that I look just like those skinny girls on the tv and keep going..
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba but looked like Frankenstein when I first started out. My only tip: Fake it til you make it! :smile:
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    oh, even if there are moves I can't do right.. I imagine that I look just like those skinny girls on the tv and keep going..

atta girl!!!! :wink:
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I just tried Zumba out the other day as well (at home). I remember feeling awkward. I did the "Step-by-step" tape...and that even got me sweating! You nor I should expect to be an awesome dancer after 1 day of Zumba...I would imagine the trainers have been at it for a loooong time.

I think it is best just to get the basic idea - then like the others have said "fake it until you make it". The music is awesome though...i was craving a trip to mexico and some tequila shots by the time I was done the zumba tape.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I have no rhythm at all. I just smile and laugh at myself when I mess up and just keep moving. I go to a class and my zumba instructor is the nicest person ever, so much fun. Her 2 rules she stresses in class are:
    1. do zumba 3 times before you decide you don't like it.
    2. just keep moving, even if all you do is march in place.

Drink lots and lots of water, wear sneakers that fit. Arm movements burn more calories and shouting burns extra calories too. Just have fun with it!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Totally want to do this at the gym. I hate working out in my living room. but I am so self conscious. Anybody go out and do it at the gym and look like a moron and still return again????:happy:
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Totally want to do this at the gym. I hate working out in my living room. but I am so self conscious. Anybody go out and do it at the gym and look like a moron and still return again????:happy:

I do I do! lol no coordination once so ever, but I have so much fun trying. I laugh at myself every time I go.
  • BusyLizza
    Options
    The music is what is so hypnotic about Zumba. Don't worry about whether it is "right" ... just dance like no-one is watching (using the instructor's moves as a guideline. It is like being at a party or a wedding and everyone gets up to dance, and they all move a bit differently but they are grooving to the same rhythm and really enjoying themselves. Make it your own, and have FUN and the calories will burn themselves!
  • Guamybear
    Options

I have more than once.. I got the DVDs for days I can't make it to the gym or just wanted a different routine..
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    First time I tried it was at a class full of people. 90 percent of the class looked like me trying to do the moves. No one is going to be great at Zumba for the first year unless you were a professional dancer, or did cheerleading. I was neither. I L-O-V-E-D it!!!! I bought the Wii Zumba 2 and do that at home with no shoes on as well. It is so much fun. It actually makes me feel like I am at a club. Yes make sure you drink a lot of water. I usually drink about 4 glasses of water during a one hour Zumba class. So much fun!
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
  • velmaisvelma
    velmaisvelma Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! I loved the " Fake it!" liner, I know I will have to fake it, for a LONG time! I'm going to come back and post after my first time, tomorrow, let everyone know how it goes. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also kind of nervous. (I've banned my hubby and kids from the living room while I work out!) lol.

Thank you all so much!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I love zumba!! I give zumba a lot of my credit for my weight loss. I do it at a gym and most people are so into themselves that they just aren't going to notice others moves. I have never done it at home. I made it the full hour so don't just assume you can't make it. The whole class thing motivated me not to quit even though I was hurting. Lol
  • kandilynn03
    kandilynn03 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have Zumba on the Kinect. I am by no means an expert, but it is really fun for me. MUCH BETTER than running on a treadmill by FAR! I'd like to go and join the local Zumba classes someday, I want to get my confidence up a little first, though.