Where are all my vegetarians/vegans?!?

Options
2»

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Have any of you tried Quorn products? It is a 'fungus' like mushrooms are a 'fungus' with a texture and flavor similar to chicken. I happen to really like it and the fungus aspect doesn't bother me a bit...

My local Publix carries some of their products in the organic frozen food section, with the Amy's stuff (another product that I love!!)

http://www.quorn.us/
  • Jerzeebabie04
    Options
    I use morning star meat crumbles to make chili, with kindey beans and tomato sauce, some chili powder, and some peppers.
    I'm also into mexican food so I'll use the crumbles with some black beans & a little taco seasoning to make some really good tacos once in awhile.
    Or if you like wheat pasta, sometimes I use the meat crumbles, with some elbow wheat macaroni, a little tomato sauce. My friends who aren't vegetarians will even eat it & call it the vegetarian beef-a-roni lol
  • PinguimPraiero
    PinguimPraiero Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That's it, I'm done. From now on, I will be transitioning into a vegan diet. :heart:

I already use flax seed and olive oil for the fatty acids. I use table salt. I will have to buy a B12 supplement, I understand. Vitamin D is not a problem where I live. Anything else I need to look out for?

:noway: Oh, but the loss of my tastily-crafted cappucino each morning. :ohwell: Right now it seems that will be the only severe change I will have to make to my diet.

And I am sure my grocery bill will go down! :bigsmile:

Why such an about-face today? Well, not really so drastic for me, but I have been considering it after this my second bout of food poisoning (both times derived from eating poorly handled meat, I believe) within recent months. And then there is the still lingering trauma from breaking open an egg that was just-purchased but rot (a mound of rotten potatoes could never match that stench). Plus, I have a series of women on my mother's side who have died from cancers. Oh, I am sure that lying around while sick this week and googling videos about common day animal farming had something to do with this decision.:frown:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    That's it, I'm done. From now on, I will be transitioning into a vegan diet. :heart:

I already use flax seed and olive oil for the fatty acids. I use table salt. I will have to buy a B12 supplement, I understand. Vitamin D is not a problem where I live. Anything else I need to look out for?

:noway: Oh, but the loss of my tastily-crafted cappucino each morning. :ohwell: Right now it seems that will be the only severe change I will have to make to my diet.

And I am sure my grocery bill will go down! :bigsmile:

Why such an about-face today? Well, not really so drastic for me, but I have been considering it after this my second bout of food poisoning (both times derived from eating poorly handled meat, I believe) within recent months. And then there is the still lingering trauma from breaking open an egg that was just-purchased but rot (a mound of rotten potatoes could never match that stench). Plus, I have a series of women on my mother's side who have died from cancers. Oh, I am sure that lying around while sick this week and googling videos about common day animal farming had something to do with this decision.:frown:

I'm right there with you!

I have a friend who is very active with many organisations. He posts alot of info on factory farming. I also just finished the book "Skinny B****" and I'm ready to make the change.

I was never really a big animal rights person, but after learning so much about how those slaughterhouses do things, it just turns my stomach. For me, its become more than just not eating meat. I don't trust anyone anymore. And I now feel the need to join the animal rghts movement. I doubt you'll ever catch me spilling blood on celebs:laugh: but I think there are other places I can be of service. For starters, taking a stand against factory farming, by not giving them my money.