Ramen noodles

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
One of my favorite foods is ramen noodles. Skip the seasoning packet because of the sodium content.

I was looking at some other Asian noodle foods at Target today. Sodium content is incredible--200-400 milligrams! Unless you're getting just noodles or rice, it seems as though you're getting a huge amount of sodium.

That said, does anyone have any good ideas for using ramen noodles (or any other sort of noodles)?

Replies

• lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For an Asian themed Peanut Butter Ramen

1 Package of Ramen Noodles (any flavor is okay, but we recommend Chicken)
    2 Tablespoons of Chunky Peanut Butter
    1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
    2 Teaspoons of Sriracha Chili Sauce (found in the International food section)
    1 Thinly Sliced Scallion for Garnish (optional)

Start out by prepping the Ramen Noodles as directed on the package. Once it’s finished, drain most of the broth – only leave about a tablespoon or two. While the noodles are still hot, add the chunky peanut butter. Once the peanut butter is melted completely, add the soy sauce and Sriracha and stir until everything is evenly combined. Garnish with a few slices of scallions and you’re good to go! If you want something a little extra, add some grilled chicken. Make sure you eat it while it’s still hot!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've used ramen and rice noodles in place of spaghetti noodles, they were okay, beyond that dunno. Try Allrecipes . com see if there are any recipes on that site. or Cooks . com

Good luck
  • swankyness
    swankyness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love ramen noodles, my mom would always make the chicken flavor when I was sick. Anyway, I doctor my ramen. My favorite add ins are scallions(best by far), frozen peas, carrot shreds, mushrooms, shrimp, and occasionally chicken. If you're looking to reduce sodium just don't add the whole packet which is what I do, or if you're looking for more flavor add some fresh ginger, onion, or sriracha.
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    lucyford22 wrote: »
    For an Asian themed Peanut Butter Ramen

1 Package of Ramen Noodles (any flavor is okay, but we recommend Chicken)
    2 Tablespoons of Chunky Peanut Butter
    1 Tablespoon of Soy Sauce
    2 Teaspoons of Sriracha Chili Sauce (found in the International food section)
    1 Thinly Sliced Scallion for Garnish (optional)

Start out by prepping the Ramen Noodles as directed on the package. Once it’s finished, drain most of the broth – only leave about a tablespoon or two. While the noodles are still hot, add the chunky peanut butter. Once the peanut butter is melted completely, add the soy sauce and Sriracha and stir until everything is evenly combined. Garnish with a few slices of scallions and you’re good to go! If you want something a little extra, add some grilled chicken. Make sure you eat it while it’s still hot!

Sounds good! Is the Sriracha optional? I tried that once, didn't like it.

• Gidzmo
    Options
    swankyness wrote: »
    I love ramen noodles, my mom would always make the chicken flavor when I was sick. Anyway, I doctor my ramen. My favorite add ins are scallions (best by far), frozen peas, carrot shreds, mushrooms, shrimp, and occasionally chicken. If you're looking to reduce sodium just don't add the whole packet which is what I do, or if you're looking for more flavor add some fresh ginger, onion, or sriracha.

I sometimes use ONE packet, but usually I don't use any of the package. Just noodles. I've tried raw eggs, but might switch off to some soft-cooked eggs. The veggies sound like a great idea!

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles have a lot of fat and refined carbs...but I assume you know that and account for that in your overall diet.

The way I used to eat them (I love them too) is to mix in an egg when it is almost finished cooking...you have to keep stirring to make sure it mixes well and you don't end up with big egg clumps. You end up with a thick, tasy broth...similar to egg drop soup. I also use a little less water than they recommend to make sure it is thick.

Also, if you have any leftover chicken, beef, pork...whatever...you can throw it in as well.
  • veronakings
    Options
    watch the first season of "mind of a chef" on Netflix! so much good ramen. ramen for daze.
  • veronakings
    Options
    UnitedNoodle2.jpg
    this is tonkotsu ramen. like the most amazing bowl of soup you will ever eat. this super rich spicy pork broth, smoked pork, tea eggs, pickled vegetables, nori, fish cake, NOODLES, etc. find it and eat it all and drink all the broth haha!
  • veronakings
    Options
    okay also you can buy fresh noodles. the instant ramen is basically deep fried and packaged. and instead of using the bullion packets you can make a broth out of miso, or fresh chicken stock or really whatever you like. this is a bowl of miso ramen with a poached egg and veggies:
    4285173491_2f8e05ae0a.jpg
    really, you can do SOOOOO much with ramen.
  • veronakings
    Options
    this is tsukemon:
    IMG_3383.jpg
    for this one, the dipping sauce or broth is a lot stronger and you take a small bit of noodles and dip them into the sauce and eat them.
    hahah! ah! I love ramen so much.
  • aimeemcnally
    aimeemcnally Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is real, but I've seen this photo kicking around the internet..

2012_4_25_rrn_002.jpg

• TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Agree that the packet is high in sodium...but if you work out on a usual basis, it should be bad for you..in moderations. With that said, I dump the packet in with olive oil and apple cider vin and put it on sliced up cabbage (plus onions, tomatoes and cucumbers). If I'm not cutting, I cumble the noodles up and put on top. Yummy!
  • veronakings
    veronakings Posts: 116
    edited December 2014
    Options
    nope. they don't stick together because they are deep fried. that is a bs internet picture that first started circulating in October 2000. @almeemcnally you should really check sources for this stuff instead of stupidly spreading it around.
  • veronakings
    Options
    god that is so oooo sooo sooo dumb. how do people even spread this around? do you still have an msn account? wtf??? do you pass on the letter that says if you don't tag 15 friends you love you will turn ugly at the stroke of midnight? ughhhhhhhh I am soooo mad rn
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Um... yeah - FALSE on the cancer-causing wax noodles.

Here's the deal: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/noodles.asp
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I love the Samyang or Neoguri ramen noodles but they are incredibly high in sodium so it's a rare treat. I add sliced rice cakes, kimchi dumplings, seaweed (not the nori style), veggies and a scrambled egg. It makes a huge pot enough for 2-3 people.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is real, but I've seen this photo kicking around the internet..

2012_4_25_rrn_002.jpg

And let me guess, margarine was invented to fatten up turkeys (it wasn't, it was invented in the 1800s as a butter substitute for the French Army,) and it's only 1 molecule away from plastic, which is just whoever made that up's way of saying "I don't know what chemistry means."
  • veronakings
    Options
    mmm iggy that sounds wonderful. I love kimchi. sometimes I do a ramen style broth but then simmer kimchi, pork, kombu, daikon and other vegetables then skip the noodles.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

2012_4_25_rrn_002.jpg

And let me guess, margarine was invented to fatten up turkeys (it wasn't, it was invented in the 1800s as a butter substitute for the French Army,) and it's only 1 molecule away from plastic, which is just whoever made that up's way of saying "I don't know what chemistry means."

Robert-Downey-Jr-laughing.gif

UpEarly wrote: »
    Um... yeah - FALSE on the cancer-causing wax noodles.

Here's the deal: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/noodles.asp

z205099164.gif
  • veronakings
    Options
    lol did this board just get animated gif ability or something?