School girl error in cal counting?

Options
I feel like a bit of an idiot but when I measure out brown rice or wholewheat pasta, should a 70 gram serving, suggested on the packet, be at the cooked or uncooked weight. I thought I was being good with my calorie counting but this may explain why I struggle to loose on a consistant level. Its just not clear on the packet !:embarassed:

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I think it's normally the uncooked weight. 70g would be a good-sized portion of dry weight pasta.
  • leslieirving1970
    leslieirving1970 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yeah I thought that, until I noticed 70g of cooked brown basmati rice is quite a big portion. Just seems alot of food. Fantasic if it is!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    With pasta and rice it's normally dry weight.

My rice says 1/4 cup (45g) makes 3/4 cup prepared.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    good question, i have a lot of trouble figuring that stuff out. for example, when weighing a chicken breast or strips that come frozen, do you weigh it frozen, raw, or once it has been cooked?
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey Leslie

Doesnt it say on the pack?

The rice I use says that half a bag is 220 cals cooked and thats bout 60something grams (125g bag)

So it maybe is right and as far as I know isnt rice quite low in cals but high in carbs??

Vicky xxxxxx
  • leslieirving1970
    leslieirving1970 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I dont use bags...I just use it as Im going. Thought I was measuring 70grams of basmati brown but I have now discovered thats what I should have cooked, not measured dried! Looks like ive regulary been eating tonnes more cals that I thought! That must be why my weight loss has been so inconsistant! Numpty!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    don't worry. I think most of us have been there. cous cous, falafel, rice, pasta, they have all fooled me.
  • moraldd
    Options
    Perhaps contact the manufacturer to confirm but my guess would be calories per 70 grams of what you eat which would be the cooked food unless you have a strange addiction to raw rice.