Lifting, gaining weight, losing curves, getting bulky?

124»

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    You look great. The only thing I would say is that every woman is different and may not get the same results. I'm pear-shaped and as a result don't use direct weights on my lower body because I don't want to get even slightly bigger in that area. It would defeat the purpose of my trying to balance my silhouette.

When you start a strength training program it's important to know what you look like, your goals, and to watch how you develop.

When I first started reading exercise books, I thought that everyone would end up looking the same. Eventually, I realized that such books feature exercise models, people who have the right physique for weight lifting. I recall a book and a magazine that showed people who were strong, but whose musculature was not aesthetically pleasing. In the next edition of the book and the new version of the article in the magazine, the models were conventionally attractive.

If you don't start out with a build like the fit models, you won't resemble them no matter how hard you work. If your goal is aesthetics as opposed to strength, it's important to know how to train for your body type.

Have you seen this amazing woman? Sounds like you need to see this woman.

cropped-Picture-45.jpg from gokaleo.com

Also, Lorina, you are absolutely freakin amazing. I have seen your posts since I joined and I just love everything you do and everything you stand for, and your dedication to paying it forward. :flowerforyou:

Edit: the end of that photo was cut off. Can anyone resize it for me?
  • terracotti
    terracotti Posts: 101 Member
    the rest of the image:
    1679ojt.jpg

you look great!
    but I'm confused, people say lifting weights with more than 10 reps will burn fat, can't women just do that if they don't want to get bulky?
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    That makes me feel better about the scale!
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    You need to be my mentor, your photos look very similar to my goals and my starting point. <3

Please head on over my way & drill me to the ground until my butt even remotely resembles yours.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    you look great!

Thanks! :smile:
    but I'm confused, people say lifting weights with more than 10 reps will burn fat, can't women just do that if they don't want to get bulky?

That's what we're getting at... it's a myth that women should lift low weights and high reps. Heavy weights and low reps burns more fat.... and takes a lot less time.

I did the whole five pound dumbbell circuit training thing with cardio. I lost weight. I even lost fat. But my body didn't really start transforming until I started with the heavy weights.

fb-cover.jpg

July 2010: Before starting here. I gained another 8 pounds or so in the months between that photo and December 2010.

March 2011: Down about 20 pounds from my high weight. Was running about 3 miles, three times a week, and doing EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation with 5# dumbbells. It's a "game," but more like a customizable 30DS type workout. Cardio, body weight, light weights.

June 2011: My goal weight, right before doing the Warrior Dash. I started strength training in July. Still running.

Sept 2011: After a few months of lifting. I dropped a few pounds over the summer without even trying, and dropped another couple in the next month. Still running and won my first medal in a race. I went from 9 minute miles to 8 minute miles when I started strength training.

March 2012: Gained a little over the winter between the holidays and being sidelined with a stress fracture, and had just lost a few pounds when I could start exercising normally again.

Then I lost my mojo for a while, slacked on exercise and logging, caught the flu, gained some weight, and realized I hated going TO the gym. In July, I bought weights for home, and now I lift at home and run outside and don't go to the gym at all.

Now: 4 months of lifting free weights at home, two months into Stronglifts, still running, and my mojo is working overtime. :smile:
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Like. a. BOSS!!!! You look fabulous! and not gonna lie, this post totally ignited my obsession with kettlebells that I now own one day after reading your post! I have a long way to go in lifting and strength training but gotta start somewhere right?! And this was definitely my starting off-point! I'd heard that strong is the new seeeexay and you just proved it!

Thanks for sharing!!!!!
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Ladies - please take Lorina's advice!! This is WAY hotter than skinny.

@Lorina - your husband is a very lucky man. Congrats on the amazing results.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Love your posts, Lorina! You were my inspiration to start lifting ;) Wonderful!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Bump! :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!