Male HRT -- Pros and Cons...advice?

Options
Good morning.

Does anyone here know anything (based in fact and not opinion) about male HRT?

I am a 31 year old male and I am having a hard time with losing weight. I was reading about HRT and even though I have yet to get my testosterone levels checked, it seems to me that some of the symptoms of low testosterone describe me and my life. Before I go to a doctor and ask about it, I was hoping that maybe some guys on here have dealt with this issue already and can give me some advice that the doctor might not tell me. I have never been "skinny" and I doubt that I ever will be. But I really want to do everything in my power to be and look fit...for once in my life. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Replies

• LMick1986
    Options
    What is HRT?
  • almostgoodbye99
    almostgoodbye99 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    HRT stand for hormone replacement therapy. For males, that would be testosterone.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I have read some of Lyle McDonald's studies/research...I think bromocriptine is the one that balances out the hormones, in males and females...take a gander at his stuff, it is interesting...there was an article that he points to by an obese male who took various simple supplements to aid weight loss...they worked...I am not sure about full hrt unless you are talking anabolics and they obviously have some benefits and some serious side effects (but am sure under medical supervision this will all be discussed)...
  • almostgoodbye99
    Options
    Yeah, I have no clue what any of that means. Can it be dumbed down for me?
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I really want to do everything in my power to be and look fit...for once in my life.
    Are you doing this?

Are you logging everyday?
    Logging everyday makes you aware of your eating habits and the calories you are consuming. Log everyday for at least 3 months and check your progress.

Are you exercising?
    Exercising on a regular basis is beneficail for fitness and weightloss. Diet is far more important, but exercise shouldn't be overlooked.

Are you learning about nutrition?
    Learn about: foods that are dense with calories, good fats, empty calories, the importance of fiber, the role of protein. Learn all that you can about the type of food you eat.

Are you patient?
    Losing weight takes time - a lot of time. Being patient is critical. Appreciate the small victories, 1lb lost in a week.

If you do all these things - in your own words, "Everything in my power" and you still don't lose any weight then you should consult the advice of your physician. If you've been at this for less than a month and expected signicant results by now then you're expecting too much. That's not how it works. You shouldn't seek hormone treatment as a quick fix.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is something you have to discuss with a doctor. There is a lot of information out there, some of it false, some true. That is why it is important to talk to a medical professional about this.
  • almostgoodbye99
    Options
    I have been on this site for almost 2 months now. Some days I do not log, but most days I do. I exercise at least 5 times a week (cardio). I don't always log that on here, but I do it no matter what.

I've been fighting with my weight all my life. I can't remember a time that I didn't have a "weight problem". The difference now is that I'm getting older and my job depends on it.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    well, with a brief look at the symptoms of low testosterone: "They come in saying they feel excessively fatigued, weaker, depressed, and that they have lost their sex drive -- all common symptoms of a drop in testosterone."

A lot of that can be remedied by getting in better shape. 146 lbs ago, I was weaker... fatigued... and didn't have much of a sex drive either. Getting up off of my butt, exercising, eating healthier, and losing the weight has made a HUGE difference. You're 3 lbs in for loss, give it time. Not everything requires some sort of therapy outside of just moving more and eating better.
  • almostgoodbye99
    Options
    I appreciate all the comments. However, no one has really talked about HRT directly. Have any of you guys (not girls, sorry) had any kind of HRT? Are any of you doctors and know a little more about it?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Even if some of us are doctors, we're not YOUR doctor. From what I can tell, it seems to be an easy diagnosis to place blame for not feeling well and not wanting to exercise or eat better. Not saying that it isn't an issue, but this forum may not be the best place to get medical advice.

My .02? If you're dead set on getting HRT, talk to your physician. Have your levels checked... but looking at some of the days that you do log on here, I'd personally recommend a healthier shift in the diet.