Replies

• mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    So many of you say strength training is the key. If I don't have a gym how can I do this? Thanks for your help!

There are exercises/workouts that don't require equipment. I'd probably do a google search to get videos and lists. Exercises like squats, lunges, and crunches.

My suggestion, though, is to invest in equipment and build your own "gym" at home, consider joining a gym, or check out the one at your apartment if you live in an apartment.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing, I walked between 10,000 and 30,000 steps a day. I didn't have a car, and the stroller became my car. I walked absolutely everywhere I went. 1.5 miles each way to my daughter's school, in a very hilly neighborhood while pushing a stroller. Grocery store almost 2 miles away, pushed groceries in a cooler bag, under the stroller, off the handles, etc. all the way home. I went for long walks of about 5 hours on weekends just for the heck of it to explore the city where we lived, kids in tow - oldest on a scooter and youngest in her stroller. The husband would drag me on 30 mile, 8-10 hour treks sometimes on weekends.

I didn't strength train at first, at least not in the traditional way, but if you've ever walked the streets in Tokyo, going a half a block uphill pushing a loaded down stroller can work up a sweat.

Regardless, I didn't lose all the weight because I ate way more than I needed. I am thankful that I pushed that damned stroller around for so long, though, because I think it kept me from losing even more muscle than I did when I got sick. I didn't start strength training until I got the all clear from my oncologist, and it is taking me forever to strengthen and reshape my body. In November 2011, I looked like a 50-year-old from the shoulders down. My skin and fat and muscle just hung off me. Now I look like I de-aged a couple decades through strength training and high intensity cardio.
  • caseydimples
    caseydimples Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    WOW - I love reading all these success stories. So inspiring!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    So many of you say strength training is the key. If I don't have a gym how can I do this? Thanks for your help!

There are exercises/workouts that don't require equipment. I'd probably do a google search to get videos and lists. Exercises like squats, lunges, and crunches.

My suggestion, though, is to invest in equipment and build your own "gym" at home, consider joining a gym, or check out the one at your apartment if you live in an apartment.

The book "You are your own gym" is a really good bodyweight program- all set up for you like a proper strength program.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

The book "You are your own gym" is a really good bodyweight program- all set up for you like a proper strength program.

Thanks so much for mentioning this book. Also, for those with a home gym, this youtube FREE personal trainer is tremendous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlFrVxHp8HU&feature=BFa&list=ULjjIxhdX7xjw

:heart: :drinker: :heart: LOVE this home gym personal trainer, and really love that it's FREE!
  • MelSimba
    Options
    What's the '1200 calorie trap' ?
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dangerouscurvesNZ
    dangerouscurvesNZ Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Got off my *kitten* and started moving and quit eating junk!

LOVE THIS! SAME HERE!!!!

Same here - well still working on the junk bit but now it's 80/20 and exercise every day.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is set at 1700 but I work out a lot and eat back no more than 50% of my exercise calories, usually a bit less than half. Fitness has really been the key for me.
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Plain old changed the diet and started exercising. It is working great
  • ucsdyc
    ucsdyc Posts: 1
    Options
    I set my calories goal at 1200. I dropped 25 lbs in a few months just changing my diet and started exercising. I feel so much better. At first you won't notice the difference and you will feel hungry, so the self control is very important. Cutting out carbs, junk foods to eating more fruits and vegetables will cut down the craving slowly.
  • RyanWilson1993
    RyanWilson1993 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Cleaned my food habits up and worked out 3x a week
  • Shagi
    Shagi Posts: 19
    Options
    I just closed my mouth????
  • jonesie84
    jonesie84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    What did you eat? Did you workout? Did you eat healthy or eat bad but just a certain amount of calories? Did you make muscle after? Do you plan on making muscle?

I love that you post this question because there are so many different answers. i've lost 52lb since January 2012. For the first 3 months i did no working out and just stopped drinking pop and eating fast food. I lost 15lb right off the bat. Then it was counting calories and exercising 5 days a week. HOWEVER, I dont eat as healthy as most people. I have two young kids who are picky eaters. So I make things they enjoy for dinner and if its not a healthy dinner, i eat a very small portion of that (enough to count calories). For example: they love spaghetti w/meatballs. So I would have 1 meatball, 1/2 sauce, and a very small portiong of pasta (maybe 1 ounce). My diet is flooded with fruits, yogurts, and diet shakes during the day though. I have 6lb to go to my first goal, then my plan is to just start toning and maybe i will drop a few more pounds in the process.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I ate whatever I want within my caloric goal. I tried to make better choices, eating a lot of fruits and veggies, not eating foods with high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oil, and for a while, I ate little to no meat. I did a lot of exercising - going to the gym, walking, riding my bike, doing workout DVD's with a friend. I drank booze (but significantly less than I ever had) and had cheat days once or twice a week. And those never hindered my loss. I was doing very well and then I got pregnant. I'm just over 7 months and have only put on 12 pounds. After the baby comes, I plan to get seriously back into it.
  • SexyGorecki
    SexyGorecki Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eat less move more! I lost my first 100 pounds just changing my eating portions and walking. I would walk every day. I started at a mile and as it got easier I increased the distance. I have lost a total of 130 pounds in 5 years... (always a work in progress) I have another 30 to go and it is a PAIN! It's very difficult to lose now. I lose and gain the same 10. So, I stopped the scale watching and just decided to call it a loss... haha I eat healthy and I work out 3-4 times a week. The scale will not distract or deter me from being the healthy me that I am! Some day the pounds may come off... but I can dead lift 200lbs! AND I can run a 5K! I am the healthiest me I have every been!
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I just don't over think it. I just try to eat healthier with more fruits and vegetables and cooking vegetables more healthier. I'm back to working out after a month of not being able to. This is my challenge for the next two weeks to get back to my routine which have been hard these past few days. But I know once I get back on my routine of working out, then I will do much better. Although I didn't work out, I still tracked my food which helped a lot.

I don't beat myself up if I go over my calories or ate something that I shouldn't have. I just make sure it's not a daily thing. I do drink a lot of water which is a great thing to do. I don't deprive myself. If there is something that I am craving, I wait a half hour and if I still want it I get it because if I don't, then I know I will overly indulge in it and eat more than what I started out wanting. I still eat fried chicken, etc...but not as often as I used to and not as much of it. I truly believe it's all in moderation. I try to plan fried foods though so I can make sure that I work out more or eat less during the day and put the calories more so for the meal that I will have it.

This is a lifestyle journey not a diet anymore. Just like all journeys, you have your ups and downs going through it. The key is not giving up on yourself just because you may have had a bad day or a few bad days of eating and not exercising. Just get back on the routine and take it from there.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I work out and cut portions... just started counting calories..but I eat whatever I want.. I don't deprive myself of anything..

Almost exactly the same for me. I cut down rather than cut out. Am eating healthier food too and exercising more than i used too.

67lbs later, it hasn't harmed me.
  • vmarie74
    vmarie74 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    bump/save
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!