Dear Vegetarians and Vegans,

Options
frando
frando Posts: 583 Member
Dear Vegetarians and Vegans,

The majority of omnivores, myself included, completely respect your choice of diet. I have many people in my life, on and off this site, that are dedicated vegetarians but I only know two vegans (I had photography class with them back at college). In my experience vegetarians and vegans are kinda in groups;

*Moral - the object to eating animals, they're treatment during slaughter etc.

*Taste - literally they don't find it appealing

* Inability to Digest- they lack the enzymes to actually break down protein

A few of the people I know who don't eat it on moral grounds, whether it's religious, on the grounds of their treatment or just the idea of it they find objectionable. Some people don't want to know that their burger used to be a cow and other people just won't eat it as they object to this or the other. I am lucky enough to live in a village with its own butcher, whose family also run the farm, I see the animals I eat as they amble about in the field- and I like the fact they lived a nice happy life before hand.

The majority of the vegetarians and vegans I know just don't like the taste! My cousin practically went off meat over a week- she's been a veggie for the past part of five years now.

I only know one person whose a vegetarian as his body lacks nearly all but a small amount of the enzymes that break down protein. He has to monitor his income from vegetable protein as much as animal protein etc.

I am positive I'm not the only omnivore that has a similar set of friend and family. Never once have I tried to force meat on them and those with moral objects haven't tried to force their life style up on me- that's why I respect them.

That's where the big issue comes along; remarks made by some with little or no evidence trying shock tactics to scare people into vegetarianism. I do not like being told the meat I eat 'hasn't seen the light of day', actually, I walked passed the beef I ate tonight probably three or four weeks ago whilst on my way to work. Not many others can claim this but I'm sure they buy their meat from reputable sources with organic and welfare declarations on the packaging where they can. In the UK (and the EU) there are several law's that make sure that animals welfare is paramount, and from posts on other threads there are similar animal right laws in other countries.

What I'm trying to say this isn't the place to convert people, if you do try to horrifying people into it that's when the abuse will start. The calls of proof etc., and when people start to be unfriendly. Though healthy questioning, and presenting of your life style to people who are genuinely interested is great- there are times with aforementioned friends- were I ask about how they do it and any good recipes (I like some veggie dishes over their meat including variations sometimes!). Thinking about it during a college trip to Venice the vegan I knew and the vegetarians had a hell of a time coping with it all. The vegan lost like half a stone as other then side salads there were very few things she would eat- and I respect her for that I wouldn't have the same determination.

I, like many people here, prefer scientific peer reviewed journals and sites over documentaries (which are easily edited to peoples agendas or use reductio ad absurdum), hearsay or biased websites. I am more then willing to read anything you present, one can not learn without questioning things.

Yet again, I have no irk, rancor, or issue with the majority of vegetarians and vegans and completely respect your choice, but don't force it on me.

Have a nice evening

frando

x

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Nicely put and well written!
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    This is well said. I have been mostly vegetarian in my adult life with occasional returns to eating some meat. For a long time now I've eaten turkey and scale fish, but eating less turkey all the time. I'll probably end up a pescetarian. My reasons are mostly that I love animals and object generally to the idea of them being farmed for food; but I appreciate very much all efforts to give the animals that are raised for food a better life and a less horrible death. Whenever possible I opt for eggs, dairy and turkey that are raised this way.

I have never pushed my preferences on others or made a big hairy self-righteous deal out of it, and I try to avoid situations where they will interfere with social occasions. I do wish that more meat eaters were like you, because I've had a lot of omnivores in my life be outright ****y about deliberately not accommodating my diet (choosing group outings at barbecue joints where even the coleslaw has bacon in it, etc.) ridiculing me to my face for not wanting to eat pig, beef, etc., and making a big nasty show of savoring their meaty meals and even being more animalistic in eating them just to gross me out.

It would be nice if people wouldn't try to convert each other quite so much, wouldn't it?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The way animals are handled and slaughtered and processed in the US is different from the UK. It really is horrendous to know how commercially processed meat is treated and distributed here. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just pointing this out.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Great post :) from the veggie side of things, not all of us want to convert you, or particularly mind what you eat, as you have pointed out - individual choice. :drinker: The number of people who have tried to "make" me eat meat though.....well, you'd probably be surprised. It works both ways :smile:

I agree with Spud - maybe we should all stick to our own choices. But hey, the boards probably wouldn't be as "interesting" without those people :wink:

Anyway, enjoy your animals :tongue: :laugh:
  • sunshinecollins
    Options
    This was well stated. Members of our family have resorted to lying about their dishes being meat free and it's sad. we don't push our lifestyle on them yet we are always the brunt of their jokes during our family gatherings. Thank you for posting.
  • frando
    Options
    Nicely put and well written!

Thank you, I kinda wrote this in my head at work =^--^=
    This is well said. I have been mostly vegetarian in my adult life with occasional returns to eating some meat. For a long time now I've eaten turkey and scale fish, but eating less turkey all the time. I'll probably end up a pescetarian. My reasons are mostly that I love animals and object generally to the idea of them being farmed for food; but I appreciate very much all efforts to give the animals that are raised for food a better life and a less horrible death. Whenever possible I opt for eggs, dairy and turkey that are raised this way.

I have never pushed my preferences on others or made a big hairy self-righteous deal out of it, and I try to avoid situations where they will interfere with social occasions. I do wish that more meat eaters were like you, because I've had a lot of omnivores in my life be outright ****y about deliberately not accommodating my diet (choosing group outings at barbecue joints where even the coleslaw has bacon in it, etc.) ridiculing me to my face for not wanting to eat pig, beef, etc., and making a big nasty show of savoring their meaty meals and even being more animalistic in eating them just to gross me out.

It would be nice if people wouldn't try to convert each other quite so much, wouldn't it?

One, bacon in coleslaw? What a waste! I love coleslaw, putting salty bacon in it just seems a bit... odd o_O

It would be good if we could all appreciate each others differences instead of critising them, I really do feel sorry on behalf of those rude jerks that force you into those situations. I would love to say I could compare it to when my family goes to restaurants specailising in hot curries and chilli laced salads etc. when hot food makes me feel sick, but I don't think it's on the same level.

*hugs*
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    *yawn*
  • frando
    Options

I enjoy the meat I eat differently to the company my cat gives me ;D
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I'm a terrible person and couldn't read all of this but I feel I got the gist of it and I completely agree!

Where I come from in Asia, we have some of the earliest vegetarians and them and us meat eaters have always lived in peace. They too went vegetarian (even vegan) due to moral reasons but they didn't tried to choke down meat eaters with their believes. They just lived and let live!

Kudos to vegetarians, kudos to meat eaters! Do your thang!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options

:bigsmile: Sadly my cat shuns my company when there is food around, he's learnt I never have anything good :tongue: saying that, there have been times I've considered roasting him. Cheeky sod :laugh:
  • frando
    Options
    The way animals are handled and slaughtered and processed in the US is different from the UK. It really is horrendous to know how commercially processed meat is treated and distributed here. I'm not trying to convert anyone, I'm just pointing this out.

Fair enough, but one can not assume everyone who converses in English is American (or English for that matter), but thanks for pointing it out.
  • frando
    Options
    I'm sorry I'm a terrible person and couldn't read all of this but I feel I got the gist of it and I completely agree!

Where I come from in Asia, we have some of the earliest vegetarians and them and us meat eaters have always lived in peace. They too went vegetarian (even vegan) due to moral reasons but they didn't tried to choke down meat eaters with their believes. They just lived and let live!

Kudos to vegetarians, kudos to meat eaters! Do your thang!

It is a bit lengthy (part of me misses writing fifteen page essays for English!) but yes, let us do our own thangs ;D
  • frando
    Options

:bigsmile: Sadly my cat shuns my company when there is food around, he's learnt I never have anything good :tongue: saying that, there have been times I've considered roasting him. Cheeky sod :laugh:

Ah, if my cat hears yoghurt pots or smells fish he knows it the right time to purr up to my dad!

edited for spelling mistake, cat is spelt with a c and not with an e!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options

Ah, if my eat hears yoghurt pots or smells fish he knows it the right time to purr up to my dad!

Funny you've said that - my cat licked my yoghurt bowl out for the first time tonight, no tuna in sight :laugh:
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Love this and totally agree with it!
    It does work both ways though, as a lifelong vegetarian and now vegan as of three years ago, please can omnivores not tell me to eat bacon because it tastes good or shove pepperoni pieces/mozzarella sticks in my face (happened before!) there needs to be a mutual respect from both parties and it's a shame when people don't do that... I am by no means a militant vegan, i'm happy with my food choices and I don't particularly care about anyone else's, I do love it when I have a good convo with an omni if they bring it up about the meat/dairy industry and they're willing to listen. Especially when they take something from it (even if it's something like, they're more aware of where they source their meat or eggs from, etc.) (:
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I wish I was around meat eaters the past five years of my life that thought the way you do.

I don't care what others eat, but I just simply do not enjoy eating meat. I now eat vegetarian most of the time (from strict veggie for 5 years), but I will have a meal with meat maybe once a week. Which of course doesn't go well with some vegetarians I know, just a few weeks ago one told me I was the "worst vegetarian I ever met" because I ate a turkey sandwich. But the reason I ate it was strictly because 1) I was hungry 2) I had NO food in my house 3) My friend offered me a sandwich knowing I can't afford food right now and that is what she had to give me. And 4) It sounded tasty. I didn't hate the sandwich, I'm not going to go out and buy meat myself though. So I guess basically, in some cases, I am willing to eat it, but if I have other options, I'd rather not. And there are some meats I just can't do, no matter what. I can get my protein and food from other sources. But, I do NOT care if we are sitting down to eat and you want a steak. If you offer me to try it, I will say no thank you (steak is one thing I can't do nor am I willing to try). But I won't sit there and judge you for eating it, just like I hope you aren't sitting there judging me for not eating it.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well said, even if a little long. :)

And if you that are veggies were to come to my home for dinner, I guarantee you would be able to eat without concern. Accommodating others' dietary needs and wishes is just not that difficult. I look at it as an opportunity to broaden my cooking skills!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    My best friend has been vegetarian since we were in jr. high, and I am an omnivore. Much like you and your friends we respect each others dietary choices. Unfortunately as others have said there are some seriously disgusting places within the U.S. meat industry and I purchase my meat at a small local place because of it. I also won't eat at places like KFC and McDonalds because the idea of whats in there makes me want to run for the hills. There are times when I think Upton Sinclair must be rolling in his grave honestly....
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    please can omnivores not tell me to eat bacon because it tastes good or shove pepperoni pieces/mozzarella sticks in my face (happened before!

This has happened to me more times than I can count. The first major holiday that I went veggie, my family (extended family) put bacon in EVERYTHING. I was going in thinking, I could have a piece of bread with cheese, mashed potatoes, veggies. Nope, everything had bacon.

Then another time a cousin gave me a bowl of veggie soup, and was waiting for me to eat it because he also put a scoop of beef stew on the bottom. I've had people order pepperoni pizza knowing I don't eat it, then told me to pick it off or just "man up and eat it anyway" Or they would just put meat on my plate and told me to eat it "because you are human, and that is what we do".

Annoying. And I never ONCE told them not to eat meat.
  • frando
    Options
    I'm glad to hear there are other omnis (new favourite word :D ) that have the same ideas as me.

Though, the behaviour of other omnis (that have been described and I've seen myself) does shock me - shoving food in people faces or putting them in difficult positions I thought we were grown ups here!

Sorry again about the length, maybe I should do an abstract and conclusion section?