I didn't recognize myself.....

Options
Someone gave me a picture they had taken at a party. I was in it. I was speechless. I look in the mirror all the time. I try to look at myself how I really am. but I was shocked at this picture. I didn't even look like 'me' anymore. It''s not like I've gained a lot of weight recently or anything. I know I've gained, but I haven't really 'seen' myself. I feel embarrassed.
I've used this site before, but this is a fresh start.
I feel like I've got to make this work, or I'm just going to be doomed to being fat, and probably fatter as I age. it's not just normal middle age spread. I don't expect to have the body of a 20-something. I can handle aging, but I can't handle 'fattening'.
I am almost 49, 5'5" , and probably 205 lbs.
I will weigh in officially tomorrow.
And I don't even care that it's the holiday season. I am not waiting till January.

Replies

• oligard
    oligard Posts: 141
    Options
    im sure its not bad like that.welcome to mfp.feel free to add me
  • IDCY843
    IDCY843 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You will get there with the determination that you have. Stay strong and positive...feel free to add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow never comes

This is YOU, start eating smart NOW,
    Be aware of what your eating always
    it is shocking how many calories we
    eat when we do not watch it.
    Do not give in due to holidays,
    eat smart, you will be glad you did
    (for example say your eating 4,000 calories, you drop to 2,000
    that is a start!)
  • Dreamcatcher49
    Options
    I know how you feel, I'm there myself. I can deal with aging but I hate being fat and I can't stand it when someone says 'oh that's part of life' because it doesn't have to be. About 20 years ago I went from 184 to 115 and I have around 50 more pounds to go. It will take longer to lose this weight then it did in the nineties (It has taken me four months to lose 19 lbs.) but it will be worth it! Hang in there and add me as a friend if you want.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    :happy: you can do it!!! feel free to add me if youd like
  • Tunkabean
    Tunkabean Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience with some pics of myself I recently saw. I was shocked at how horribly overweight I've become! I'm starting back tracking at MFP from today as well. All the best!!! I wish us both good luck & positive experiences =)
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, it was a picture I didn't recogize myself in that started me on this journey. I'm 51 now and down 40 pounds. You can do it, add me if you like.
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    'And I don't even care that it's the holiday season. I am not waiting till January"

Good for you! Just start logging, take it one day at a time. Good luck!!!!!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I will weigh in officially tomorrow.
    And I don't even care that it's the holiday season. I am not waiting till January.

That is a GREAT attitude! Why put of till tomorrow what you can do today!!

Good luck!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    My aging joints hate carrying my big fat body around. It's really a damn shame, but at least I (and we) are doing something about it. I got started in September.
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Someone gave me a picture they had taken at a party. I was in it. I was speechless. I look in the mirror all the time. I try to look at myself how I really am. but I was shocked at this picture. I didn't even look like 'me' anymore. It''s not like I've gained a lot of weight recently or anything. I know I've gained, but I haven't really 'seen' myself. I feel embarrassed.

I can relate to you. I feel embarrassed and ashamed that I let myself get so big, especially since 2 years ago I lost around 30 pounds. I have since gained it back, plus another 30.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a shock treatment to make people do something. Good luck on your journey.

Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.

There will be tough days but there are plenty of us on here to help and guide you on your way x
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I really know how you are feeling. I turn 50 in April. It was right after my birthday last April that I got serious about this. I don't even know what woke me up but, I am damn sure I am gonna make a permanent change. For me, there is no turning back. I am making a lifestyle change and it will always be. You can do this. If I can, anyone can. Friend me if you would like.
  • eastcoastlisa
    eastcoastlisa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As you can see you are not alone! I too go along thinking I look "ok". And then I see a picture and I'm like OMG is THAT what I really look like????
  • jigglebox
    Options
    I'm so glad so many can relate. Needless to say, I will keep that picture and take a good hard look, every time I think it's ok to over eat, or eat empty calories.
    Thanks for all the comments and support. I've sent friend requests to some of you . But if I didn't send one to you, please feel free to add me.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Good luck, you can do it if you want it bad enough :)
  • Cindib13
    Cindib13 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had the same shell shock. I still avoid being in pictures. I'm planning to have family pictures done when I get to my goal weight. I was 207 at my heaviest and I'm done to 172.8. It's been a long process and I still have a ways to go but I'm getting there and so will you. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck and welcome.
  • mj698
    mj698 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site. Your topic caught my eye because I experienced the same thing. I have been trying to keep from gaining weight since I quit smoking, but it's just not working (13 lbs so far). Hopefully, with a little help from this site, we can find the motivation we need to battle the bulge.
  • codylee98
    codylee98 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had to respond. I joined this site over a year ago and never did anything except gained 6 more lbs. I need to lose 50 lbs. I'm 51 years old 5'2" and weigh 176. I hate seeing myself in pictures and I feel the same way about not waiting until after the holidays...I want to start NOW. I hope you don't mind if I add you as a friend, since we have similar stories, are close to the same age and have similar weight loss goals. Let's go, US!
  • Calm_Lotus_06
    Calm_Lotus_06 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    First off I can say great job for getting on the band wagon now and not waiting until January 1st! If you ever need a buddy feel free to add me! Just get to it.. and know this is a great place and there are amazing supportive people everywhere!