Question from a student...

Options
I was wondering if I should put anything in for sitting in class all day? Not exercise by any means, but still calorie burning... what all should we put in the cardio section?!

Thanks!

Replies

• panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldnt count the sitting but if you wear a pedometer, theres a place to track your steps per day. So when you change classes or walk to lunch or car you can keep track of that. Hope this helps.
  • gypsygal2010
    Options
    Hmm.. that is a very good idea! Also, I am looking for low-impact (I'm prone to stress fractures) exercise that is about as effective as running.. anything helps! Or, even if you have a really good running workout.. I'd be interested in that too! (I'll just need to warm-up really well)
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    are you referring to the energy (calories) used while putting your brain at work?
    I've often thought of this but, i don't know if it can really be counted... i try to just make sure i'm getting the "good" calories and eating enough for brain fuel.
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Here's a website that does calculate calories burned while sitting in class: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=sitting

Funny thing is, when I was a student I could eat tons of food without gaining weight. I guess brain work does use up lots of calories...:wink:
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. that is a very good idea! Also, I am looking for low-impact (I'm prone to stress fractures) exercise that is about as effective as running.. anything helps! Or, even if you have a really good running workout.. I'd be interested in that too! (I'll just need to warm-up really well)

Couch to 5K (C25K) is a great running program for beginners. More info at coolrunnings.com or there are podcasts and iPhone apps that take you through it.

Also, for low impact, the elliptical trainer is great. Gets you going at a runners pace without the impact on your knees.
  • jquintinjr
    Options
    bump to my topics
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    Here's a website that does calculate calories burned while sitting in class: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/calories-burned-by.php?search=sitting

Funny thing is, when I was a student I could eat tons of food without gaining weight. I guess brain work does use up lots of calories...:wink:

Most of my weight has appeared from being a student! I can't believe how much weight I gained in 3 years, almost a stone a year!