Protein and exercise

Options
Is high-protein a negative if I'm not exercising? I don't have time to exersice over the weekend and my protein's gone over quite a bit both days. Not sure if I should change what I'm eating or not. I'm just starting to diet again after a long time of eating whatever I felt like eating, and I want to know I'm focusing on the right things. My food diary is public if any of you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Protein is a-ok to constantly go over.
  • FCHW
    FCHW Posts: 35
    Options
    Are you supplementing on the weekends? Because then I would say only supplement protein when you are exercising, but if its all from natural food sources I say go for it. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is high-protein a negative if I'm not exercising? I don't have time to exersice over the weekend and my protein's gone over quite a bit both days. Not sure if I should change what I'm eating or not. I'm just starting to diet again after a long time of eating whatever I felt like eating, and I want to know I'm focusing on the right things. My food diary is public if any of you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Generalizing here:

Your protein intake is "probably" not too high if:

1) Your protein intake doesn't cause you to over-consume calories.
    2) Your protein intake doesn't cause your fat intake to sit too low for extended periods of time.
    3) Your protein intake doesn't cause your carb intake to go below your personal needs for effective training performance.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That amount of protein is fine. High protein is really only a bad thing if you have kidney problems. Assuming you're healthy, it's not only fine, but good. Rest easy chica!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    MFP sets pretty low goals for protein as standard.

I generally aim for 1g of protein per lb of body weight regardless of whether I do any strength work that day.

As above - presuming no special conditions, haven't seen any evidence to show that high protein is bad - and a fair bit to suggest it's the one that's best to go over on.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. :)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary your protein intake is set to MFP standard goals which is pretty low. It is often recommended to aim for either 1 gram of protein for each pound of lean body mass or 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight every day, depending what you're reading. Glancing at the last couple of days of your dairy you're getting around the 100 g per day mark which is certainly not excessive.