Bells Palsy...should I still work out?

Options
Surely there has to be some that have gone thru an ordeal like this. This past Tuesday morning I woke up with the right side of my face paralyzed...out of the blue...Yes I woke up with Bells Palsy. Im still on medication for a few more days. This will go away and I will get better in time, but everything Im reading and hearing is that I should be relaxing and taking it easy while I recover. Aside from my face...honestly Im feeling fantastic and full of energy. Is working out (in my case running) going to hinder or slow my recovery? Anyone?

Thank you ! :ohwell: <---my lopsided face

Replies

• GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,327 Member
    Options
    About a year and a half ago the same thing happened to hubby! He just woke up one morning and his side of his face was paralyzed! Everyone thought he had a stroke but it was Bells Palsy! The doctor told him to MAKE SURE HE TOOK HIS MED but he only had to rest for a couple days! Now he is 100% better, you can't even tell in his face. GOOD LUCK HON! :smile:
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    thank you so much Jackie ! I think I am going to keep at it, and continue to run, just not overdoing it !!
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When my Dad had Bells Palsy he rested a couple of days, then he was round the golf course as usual 4 times a week. I guess as long as you feel ok, don't push yourself too hard. Hope it gets better soon :smile:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Wear sun glasses or a visor to protect your eye.
  • myth4ever
    Options
    Talk to a physician first please.......I would hate for the situation to worsen. Take their advice into consideration before you go forward.
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wear sun glasses or a visor to protect your eye.

True! My husband had Bells Palsy when he was in his mid 20s and still has issues with his affected eye when he is outdoors or in a dusty environment,
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I would take a few days rest, and then get back at it, but just scale back the workload. You'll be back at full force in no time.
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    great suggestions and advice...thanks y'all !
  • smor27
    smor27 Posts: 87
    Options
    I had this a few years ago. I went through it without even going to the doctor. There were times that I could really tell something just wasn't right. I took a couple days off from work but I continued to function like I normally would. It was gone and I had full recovery within about a month, i think. I think pushing myself made the symptoms less noticable and go away quicker. As for a work out at that point in my life I was not doing what you call a workout but rather just my normal every day routine. If this is your normal every day routine I would continue, with the exception don't over do it. When your body is stressed, depending on the stress it can cause a relapse. I have read some where that once you have had Bell's Palsy you don't normally get that again, however I don't always believe what I read.
    Take care.