2»

Replies

• 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and eating better since May and I have lost almost 30 lbs. I am 275 lbs. and I've been doing C25K for a few weeks and I am not ready to move past Week 1 yet and I'm totally ok with that! I believe that I walk faster that I "run" and I'm ok with that too ;) The point is that I am outside in the cold Chicago weather and I'm moving. It might take me a year, but I'll eventually complete this program- MY way! Good luck to everybody!
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thank you all for all the positive feedback.... i dont plan on giving up, faliure is one of my biggest fears lol...

and as for the 5.5 mph being fast for a beginer... i guess i have been pushing extra hard, mostly cause i had read somewhere that in order to hit the 3 miles within the 30 min at the end you should be going at a 6.2mph!!! ahh lol... i have already told myself getting to that (being a non runner) isnt going to be so easy... but it seems like everyone has accomplished it at their own pace, so i think i will stick with my pace until i feel strong enough to go faster!!

and thank you guys again for the awesome feedback...its very incouraging and im more excited for week 3 now :)
  • bdunt2646
    bdunt2646 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

c25k free is what i have
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Does the treadmill have a heart rate monitor/handles on it?
    I would keep following the program -- but if you're finding it difficult to complete, you could be going too fast.

Try using a heart rate monitor to determine what speed you should be running at.
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1044

It takes some guess work, but I basically have two different types of workouts.
    1. Trying to consistently beat my prior speed -- this is what I do with C25k. I just started week 3. Thiis also goes against the advice I just gave you
    2. Trying to maintain a HR -- I do this on the elliptical, exercise bike. The HR to maintain depends on how hard I feel like working, and how long I plan on working. For 20 minutes, 150HR for me is a good goal right now.
  • KourtneyP83
    Options
    I use the RunDouble C25K app on my android.
    What is the ap you all use? I have an android phone.
  • MelBristol
    Options
    I started this yesterday and was wondering how fast people run. I am quite overweight but week one podcast wasn't too bad so I did it again today before jumping in the pool. I'll try and do it every other day in future. So... I put the treadmill on incline 2 (just so used to brisk walking at incline 9+ that no incline felt like going downhill and was a bit uncomfortable). During the walking bit I went for 5.5km/h and during the running bit I varied between 8 and 10km/h. Basically starting at 8 and increasing 0.5 each minute. I felt fine but was wondering if I'm too slow and how fast others go. Thank you for the inputs!

Oh, forgot to say my heart rate goes 120 during the walking, about 155 right after I stop running and it drops to 125-130 before the next run.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have been working out and eating better since May and I have lost almost 30 lbs. I am 275 lbs. and I've been doing C25K for a few weeks and I am not ready to move past Week 1 yet and I'm totally ok with that! I believe that I walk faster that I "run" and I'm ok with that too ;) The point is that I am outside in the cold Chicago weather and I'm moving. It might take me a year, but I'll eventually complete this program- MY way! Good luck to everybody!

lmao glad im not the only one who walks faster than i can run im starting week 5 day 2 if i dont make it threw it i will redo week 5 day 1 which i had a hard time with.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 and i think I'll repeat it, but go faster. Running is SO difficult for me and i was really out of shape. I ran week 1 at 4.0 and walked at 3. I couldnt finish day 1 but i did 2 and 3. It felt so good. Lol
    I am going to take it slow...when i can do week 1 a little faster, I'll move up to week 2 and slow it down again.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I started in May at 219lbs, one month after having my third baby (and I had a horrid sickly lazy pregnancy.) I walked at 3.5 and "ran" at 4.0-4.3mph. I followed the plan exactly as it is written. No repeating and no running more than 3 days per week. I'm now running 4 miles comfortably at an average of 5.7mph. I also spent 5 weeks in an air cast in July/August right after finishing C25K for a foot condition not related to running and am surprised that even with easing back into running very gradually I am at the place I'm at. I'm planning on running a half marathon next summer! You can do it! :happy:

This makes me feel great actually. I run at 4.3 - 4.5 mph.. good to see that's where I can start!!