Using a sauna as part of your health routine?

Options
I've heard that you can burn 250 to 600 calories just sitting in a sauna for 30 minutes each time. has any one tried this? like it? hate? what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    no idea if that is correct but id rather do some kind of cardio for 30 minutes.
  • Winwin101
    Winwin101 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't know about calories burned but i use the sauna to detox my skin, flush out toxins and get rid of spots. It is great for the muscles and joints after exercise. It is also a great way to relax and de-stress after a long week or a hard day's work.
  • tiffanypettyjohn
    Options
    Not really sure about the health benefits but I sit in the sauna for 15-30 minutes after a hard work-out. LOVE IT!! :)
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yesterday I were in steam sauna. I let the steam filled the room completely . it was so hot. then I get out and took a very cold shower. It was irritating.
    After shower I walk out of for 3 or 4 steps and ssuddenly I faint.!!!!

Please do not do it.
    by the way using sauna regularly may result in lack of some minerals in your body.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    yesterday I were in steam sauna. I let the steam filled the room completely . it was so hot. then I get out and took a very cold shower. It was irritating.

Please do not do it.
    by the way using sauna regularly may result in lack of some minerals in your body.
    Well I think it happened because you put your body in "shock" when you just got out of a hot steam room then suddenly took a very cold shower.

I go to sauna for 3-5 minutes to cool down the muscle after a hard core weight lifting session. However after that, I take a shower in lukewarm water. So far so good.
  • cjfitnessme
    cjfitnessme Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have read that a sauna can burn as much as 1000 calories or more in an hour, but those are claims from companies selling them, I also read that those type of calorie burn are not the same as say, a 1000 calorie burn in a cardio workout.
  • cjfitnessme
    cjfitnessme Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and mostly seem that I lose water weight, and gain it all back after getting thirsty and drinking lots of water.
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I found the sauna very relaxing and a way to detox :smile:
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Great place to stretch after a hard workout and I've heard great for your skin.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've read it does sweet FA
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I always go to sauna. It's my beauty regime. People need to learn how to use it properly and it will be their favorite moments ;) In my culture we go to sauna every week, it's more like socializing even. Women spend half a day there on weekends, gossiping and having beauty days.

In my gym we have sauna, Turkish bath (hot steam room in marble), Roman bath (warm very light steam marble room), salt room (very good for breething), Russian bath (very hot steam wooden room), ice sauna, and some others. We also have cold water bath to use after hot rooms, also some special showers with steady water temperature.

Usually once a week, after exercise and shower, I go to the sauna first, for 5-10 minutes 2 sessions with a little break in between. After that Turkish bath for 10 minutes or so. I use some kessa gloves and coffee scrubs there to exfoliate my skin. For extra pay I can have Turkish or Moroccan peeling done but I prefer to save money on it.

After that I have shower, my pores are open and skin feels very clean and healthy. And I go to the Roman bath, lay down there for a like 15 minutes, put some oils on my face and body skin to feed it (Almond oil with Shea butter and some essential oils, I always made my own mix). It's optional to add some oils to the bath and then the air smells divine.

Or it's very good to have a massage with oils after that, the body is so soft and beautiful.

I finish with some tea. It's important to drink enough after sauna.

I don't think about it calorie wise. Yes it's possible to lose weight with it, but mostly water weight from the sweat. It's main strength is health and skin care benefit.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    While there may be some benefits to saunas, if it's for weight loss reasons, keep in mind that the pounds/kilos that you may lose from just that are mostly water.
  • YaGigi
    Options

Please do not do it.

The main rule using any sauna is never push it hard. You should enjoy it, not struggle with it. If you fell you don't like it, not feeling well there, to must leave immediately! It's a big pressure for your heart!
    And you should start it very slow, not too ht, not too steamy.
    And no cold shower for the beginners after that!

And in our big cities lives everything can cause lack of minerals or vitamins. In sauna people lose lots of water and sweat, with toxins, of ourselves you need to drink tea or water, eat some nice fruits, maybe fresh juice.

I am having a wonderful spa day on Sunday at the les bains du marais, looking forward to it, after steam room they give Moroccan tea (black tea with mint and sugar or honey) and fruits.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use a sauna when I go on my spa days ( roll on next Sunday! Lol) but just see it as a way to chill, no other reason. Where I go, the workers come in with you and throw ice over you..it's great!
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    I don't know about calories burned but i use the sauna to detox my skin, flush out toxins and get rid of spots. It is great for the muscles and joints after exercise. It is also a great way to relax and de-stress after a long week or a hard day's work.

^^^ this

plus it helps reducing DOMS, as I don't feel the after effects of training so much. Burning calories is a nonsense, I read somewhere it'll burn 1 calorie per hour which sounds about right to me.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

How?
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Interesting, sauna is everywhere but no one really knows what is the benefit of it
    I am a heavy sweater. why shoul I use it?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Its a good way to burn off extra water weight.
  • YaGigi
    Options
    Interesting, sauna is everywhere but no one really knows what is the benefit of it
    I am a heavy sweater. why shoul I use it?

Everybody knows the benefits, you see people writing bout this? It helps to detoxicate your body, clean everything, skin, lungs.

I often go to sauna when I'm sick to warm up my body and get the bacterias out of my body. I add some lemon and mint essential oils to the stones to ease the breething.

It's very god when the muscles are sore after work out. Ts good jst when the body is tired.
    And I can never stop talking about skin beauty benefits of saunas, especially Turkish and Roman b ath, it's amazing.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You cannot burn THAT many calories, but because you are sweating, some calories are burned. Sauna's are generally for cleansing (mentally) and general relaxation as well as unwinding muscles