Breakfast is becoming a problem.

Options
I'm having some trouble with breakfast meals, I did oatmeal for weeks and I got tired of it then I did half egg sandwiches I completely cut the bacon and sausage . Eating the same thing everyday is very boring :sad: . Don't get me wrong I know what I would LIKE to eat for breafast and includes some fluffy pancakes eggs, cheese some bacon perhaps!. Obviously that is not very healthy so if anyone out there can give me some Ideas of what you eat for breakfast that is healthy and help you be under your calorie goal I will really appreciate any fresh ideas. I'm trying very hard to put more fruit in my diet, I'm not a fruit person it's hard to understand.. It's not that I don't like it I just don't crave it.:ohwell: But I'm willing to try anything that changes my routine a bit. Thanks!

Replies

• chelsea_therese
    Options
    If you really like pancakes, get the whole wheat mix. I like the flapjack mix that's all natural, no preservatives, etc. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the brand is. There is probably more than one brand, but there was only one brand of that kind and the store I shop at. I was making the mix of that, pouring a pancake on the griddle, and then putting fresh blueberries scattered around it. You could use strawberries or pretty much an fruit too. Since the mix is still liquid while the bottom is cooking, the fruits sit nicely right in the middle. When the one side is done, flip it over, and cook the other side. The blueberries have juice inside of them that kind of takes the place of syrup. I would put real butter on them because that was free on the plan I was doing, and usually eat them just like that. If I really wanted some syrup, I would put the real maple syrup on it. I like it because it's more natural and has a much stronger taste. I would just have to dip my fork in the syrup and then take a bite of the pancakes and it would be plenty. That way you end up using a lot less syrup. I hope that helps.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake in the morning.
  • ibcausa
    Options
    I've had the most success when I eat a variety in the mornings. My favorite, though it may seem boring to some people, a piece of wheat toast with a little butter, a hard boiled egg and strawberries. I try to eat carbs in the morning (the good kind) with a bit of protein and it holds me over till lunch.

Good luck!
  • bajangrl29
    bajangrl29 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Check out fitness.com and shape.com for some of their on the go and quick meal ideas. Unfortunately my stuff is boring, egg and turkey wraps, oatmeal w/protein powder...however today I did something different and used 1/3 cup of complete pancake mix, 1.5 scoops of vanilla protein powder and wheat germ to make 2 pancakes. I then scrambed some egg whites on the side and used some sugar free syrup. That was a nice change for sure and it tasted great :drinker:

Michelle
  • telephone
    Options
    Hi , I do a great omlet, one egg, 1/4 c.egg white, 1 prepackaged 1 inch lite chedder(60 cals.) onion, and a slice of thinly sliced deli ham. approx. 210 cals.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake in the morning.
    Me too. I have different flavors and I add SF Torani Syrups to the Vanilla to get even more flavors. Sometimes I add fruit too.
  • lillitululu
    Options
    I like to go with a hard boiled egg and a banana or other fruit. 1/4 cup of almonds and a piece of fruit or even just malt-o-meal.

I agree that eating the same thing every day is boring, but at breakfast I ususally have a default breakfast so I don't have to think about it and it's quick. Mornings are too busy for me to cook much.
  • BigdaddyJ
    Options
    I like to have smoothies, just keep different kind of frozen fruits, mix them up...add an egg, any kind of yogurt and real fruit juice! You can also add protein powder, Orange creamcicle is a personnal favorite of mine!! And with having a few diferent kind of fruits the possibilities are endless for variety!

you can even prepare them the night before and have them on your way to work....there great!!
  • ambercole
    Options
    I eat breakfast at 3am because I have to be at work at 5. I have the same thing every morning and I still love it and I actually look forward to it. I have a packet of sugar free instant oatmeal with 1tblsp peanut butter and 1 smashed banana mixed in. I get off of work at 2pm and that is the first time that I get a chance to eat anything and it keeps me full until then.
  • Ashia1317
    Options
    I love cereal!! Unfortunately it's not always the smartest choice! But I love Kashi!!!

Kashi Go Lean Crunch (instead of Granola) with Vanilla Non Fat Yogurt and thawed frozen fruit

or

Kashi Cinnamon Harvest Wheat with skim milk!
  • jmdolan
    jmdolan Posts: 128
    Options
    sometimes I like to have an oatmeal pancake.

1/2 cup Dry oatmeal. Mix with 2 egg whites a little cinnamin and Vanilla..

then I cook in a pan just like a pancake. I like to top with a tsp of natural peanut butter and a tiny bit of syrup but you could top with anything. It does the trick and its a perfect carb/fat/protien to start of the day. All for about 250 cals.

YUM!
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    omelets - 1/2 cup egg beaters with spinach and mushrooms or broccoli with a tiny bit of 75% reduced fat cheddar (cabot brand)
    oatmeal with 1/2 cup frozen fruit - peaches, raspberries or blackberries
    fiber one pancake mike with frozen fruit added in
    oikos greek yogurt with 1/2 cup kashi cereal or fiber one cereal
  • leeslim4life
    leeslim4life Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain about the oatmeal but, I add fresh fruit in mine, 1 week strawberries, 1 week blueberries, 1 week mixed berries & 1 week a 1/2 of banana. I mix it up to keep it fresh! I love hot cereal on cold days & have been eating it for breakfast since Jan 4th.
    I have no time for cooking in the morning!!! Good Luck to you!
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Protien shake...my fav...good way to go
  • meagankelly
    Options
    i like to mix it up

I love bran flakes so I usually have them with soya milk around 2-4 times a week. Other days I have a boiled egg on rye with spinach, or an ommelette - keeps it a bit interesting - although I have to get up 5 minutes earlier if I am cooking!
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I think if your really craving pancakes, bacon, and eggs, you should have it!

Either make it a treat meal for yourself one day, then go back to something healthier, or look for healthier alternatives and reduce the portion sizes so it fits in with your caloric needs. For example If you made a couple of small wholewheat pancakes, with reduced cal margarine and syrup, a slice or two of turkey bacon, or peamale, its not too bad, and an egg, you could get your fix and not feel bad about it =)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    ** sorry double post
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast because I think it provides the best healthy options
    - eggs cooked almost anyway. I like to make scrambled eggs with abit of cheese and a lot of veggies
    - oatmeal or oat bran with fresh or dried fruit and nuts
    - cereal usually with fruit (I like Kashi, Multigrain Cheerioes, Crispix)
    - Whole wheat muffins, toast or bagels
    - Cottage cheese with fruit
    - Tapioca pudding with fruit
    - Homemade waffles or pancakes (kind of hard for eating at work though)
    - Protein shakes with fruit and sometimes oatmeal for the days when I know I won't have much time to eat.

I love breakfast so much that I usually have 2 of them in a day... around 250 calories each :smile:
  • lizeth004
    Options
    Thank You all so much these are all great ideas. I might start with a protein shake because I don't have much time in the morning either and I need to put a bit more protein to my diet anyways. I will probably switch from that to the fruit and oatmeal suggestions from time to time. I really appreciate it, you guys are great!:flowerforyou:
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Every once in a while I change up. I enjoy the whole grain low fat frozen waffles.
    I throw 1/2 cup of frozen assorted berries in the microwave to soften them. Put it them top of the warm waffle, it is delicious.