40-something mom getting in shape

Options
Hi. I'm 43, 5'5", weighing in at 165 lbs. I just joined my local Curves last week and had 3 workout days before the weekend. Walked today for some exercise and have been using myfitnesspal to track and plan what I eat. I struggled to control my weight after graduating high school and getting a desk job, where I started eating fast food WAAAAYYY too often. My twenties were a roller coaster ride, with my weight mostly up in the 160-170 range. Finally in my 30's, while living a rural/farm lifestyle, I got in shape, mostly just from the hard, physical labor, and didn't even have to worry about my weight and don't know what I weighed. I was a size 8 or so, and looked healthy and fit. THEN the love of my life entered, we married when I was 38, 2 precious babies by 40, and it was downhill from there! Got up to 190 with the first, back down to 165 by my surprise pregnancy 5 months later - YIKES! and never have made it under 160 since baby #2 came along. I never anticipated how hard it would be in my 40's. My current goal is 145, because my bone structure is a bit large, and historically I look my best at about that weight, but once I get there, we'll see. Since my awesome husband is getting motivated, and encouraging me too, I'm enthused and hopeful I can make it. I'm a people person, and love interaction and encouragement from those around me and I'd love to join with anyone else in this community who's of a like-mind and/or circumstance. So, here goes!

Replies

• SP2Bfit
    SP2Bfit Posts: 114
    Options
    In August of 2011 I was at 168 or so pounds and I'm also in my 40s so I think we have enough parallels to connect--good luck---no matter what keep working to being the healthiest, happiest you possible!
  • invermont25
    invermont25 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Im not quite to 40 (37), but I'm at about the same weight/height at start. I'm down to 160 with 20-25lb left to lose. I'm a big boned girl too and I've NEVER been thin before. (started 3 years ago at 225)This is a whole new world for me. I love having more energy to chase after my boys (9 and 6) and not feel like the "fat mom".
    Feel free to add me.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I am 45. Since July I have gained 10 pounds at 155 and I am almost 5'5. I am doing three days of cardio and two days of Les Mills Pump. I can't seem to get my eating under control no matter what I do. I am hoping to get a treadmill here soon to work out on in the evenings. I have to do something. I can't stand myself and all my clothes are tight. Ugh!
  • webbed1
    Options
    Hi I am excited at with your enthusiasm and while you might think I don't fit in your boat, in some circumstances I do: I want something else, want the best information and encouragement for help, and need to keep up my motivation! You are on the right path and the ONLY thing I will start out with is to take the time and effort to fully understand and accept that to accomplish what you are looking for, you will need a lifestyle change, NOT a program. Doesn't have to be radical, several incrementals will work wonders. Peace and best wishes. Jim
  • cdiele
    cdiele Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I think being in your 40's is the toughest time to lose weight! I mean you really have to work at it. In my 30's I didn't have to work much at losing weight because the pounds would always drop off easily without much effort on my part, but it seems that now even when watch my calories and do a lot of cardio and strength training the pounds just stay on. The worse part is now even when I don't stay on track I gain one or two more pounds so easily. So in the last 7 month I've slowly put on 10 pounds. Some days I want to give up, but I am committed once again to taking the weight off. :smile:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Well, I am over 40 but I lost 35 lbs at the age of 38 (in 6 months through healthy eating and exercise...no gimmicks, no pills...just hard work and commitment)

You can do this...if you have an office/desk job again...the first thing you need to do is plan, plan, plan
    Plan your healthy menu/meals on the weekend and shop for the food you need
    Then prepare your meals/healthy snacks and pack them to work daily
    Squeeze exercise in when you can...a walk at lunch, 10-15 minutes of stretching or weights before or after work
    You can "sneak" exercise into your day...no matter how busy you are...I know b/c I did it while working 60 hours a week and commuting 3-4 hours per day AND being a mom and wife. Because of my long hours, I packed breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks and if I even thought I might have to work late...I packed my dinner (even if it was a Healthy Choice frozen meal and a piece of fruit).

You can do this....but make sure you're doing it for YOU!
  • Super_Pamazon
    Super_Pamazon Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 41 and I started my weight loss journey almost 5 years ago. I've lost 40 lbs. total and have 14 more to go to hit my goal. The last two years I've been bouncing around in a 10 lb. range, but I'm trying to get back into some fresh new territory before 2012 is over.

My best advice about exercise would be to focus your program around strength training. As we age, we naturally lose muscle mass. Muscle burns a lot more calories than any other body tissue, strength training strengthens and builds our bones as we age too! You can get an amazing workout in 15 minutes or less by doing High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) with weights or bodyweight exercises. You will see gains in strength and you will not get bulky or too muscular. That's just not going to happen to the majority of women.

So trade in that cardio, those endless hours on the treadmill or elliptical in the gym, for some resistance training. There are loads of great websites and books out there to help you get started. You don't need a gym either. Check out bodyrock.tv, a wonderful, free resource for people who like to do interval training away from a gym.
  • 1Whitchick
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your advice and encouraging words. So far, so good, in the motivation realm. Think I'm on track with a realistic goal, and intend to make a lifestyle change. Really appreciate all the help on this site, and the inspirational threads, with before and after pics. I CAN do this! Thanks again, and good luck to everyone, at each stage of your journey!
  • alwaysinthekitchen
    Options
    Hi!I'm also looking for friends to support and encourage daily exercise and conscious eating. My youngest just started nursery school and I'm trying to walk away from the Mess at home to take the time to exercise. It's hard! I also just feel very tired on my last child of five
    And I want to lose 50 lbs...anyone who has the app and checks in often want to friend me. Losing weight while Alwaysinthekitchen is it possible?!
  • webbed1
    Options
    People, 1 simple yet true, but for some, difficult rule: Eat better and eat LESS. I eat a little more in the winter (I call if off season) and I gain about 5-7 lbs. I tighten up in Feb and count everything. I feel hungry sometimes, yes it is true. Come May, I am at 9% bodyfat and pumped. I will tell you like it is: unplanned eating against goals and math is intended failure looking for excuses. NOW: Be sure there are no underlying medical issues. Paramount. Also, I will say this from personal experience, anti-depressants will create an additional challenge as the urge to eat is strong. Please, for your sake, don't listen to charlatans. Jillian Michaels had the ideal shape even before she became a fitness nut. Peace, Happy New Year, and for you, and just you, live the tough decisions or AGREE to be happy with how you are. Be happy and content. Jim
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am 44, 5'4 and weigh 170. I would love to help you and help me at the same time. It IS hard to lose it. It seems I always do, then vacation comes, and the next 6 months are downhill untl, surprise, here I am again. I also have a larger frame, and actually look great at 155, but would love to be 145.
  • fiveboymom
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Ali and I am looking to get serious and be held accountable not only to myself but to my family as well. I am a stress eater and after a family tragedy I have gained 200 pounds in 16 years. I am beyond morbidly obese and I know my life will be shortened if I do not get serious. I am 41 years young and I have been married since 1991 with 5 sons under the age of 12 (they are active in martial arts, football, soccer and running and they are at their healthy weight.) I am also a full time college student working on my M.A.I.S (will finish in May) and Masters in school psychology (licensed hopefully by next year). I know I need to lose weight not only for health concerns but also to enter the job market next year when being older is already a challenge. I am looking for a friend (s) to help keep me motivated. I have other friends who are overweight however they have chosen other methods to get their weight under control (Lap Band and Gastric Bypass) I wish them luck, however for me that is not an option because until they invent a Lap Band for the brain and its impulses to eat ,this method will not stop me for over eating. Would someone please help me? If you only knew how hard this was for me to even ask for help and to admit I have a BIG problem. I don’t want someone to whine or make excuses to I want someone who will be honest with me when I am real with them. I hope I can encourage you too! Please help if you can. Thanks so much! :bigsmile: