Time to get healthy

Options
Hey everyone!

My name is Tyler and I am tired of feeling like crap. I am 29 years old, 5'11" and 310lbs. I would like to get down to the low 200's by the end of the year. I am hoping this tool and community will help. Now that I am pushing 30 and the weight has not magically disappeared on its own - I really need to do something about it. I have insulin resistance, not sleeping well, lethargic, and generally feeling like a much older man than my 29 years. I have never really attempted to lose weight in spite of being heavy most of my life, so here is to new beginnings!

Tyler

Replies

• Alexandra888
    Options
    Dont worry. It's never too late to lose weight and get healthy so you've come to the right place. The people on here are very understanding and will help you with whatever you need. So its nice that your getting motivated and are ready to have a better life. Good luck with everything and dont be afraid to ask anything. :)
  • Moothandella
    Options
    good luck, I've only just started using this site but am finding it very useful.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

My name is Tyler and I am tired of feeling like crap. I am 29 years old, 5'11" and 310lbs. I would like to get down to the low 200's by the end of the year. I am hoping this tool and community will help. Now that I am pushing 30 and the weight has not magically disappeared on its own - I really need to do something about it. I have insulin resistance, not sleeping well, lethargic, and generally feeling like a much older man than my 29 years. I have never really attempted to lose weight in spite of being heavy most of my life, so here is to new beginnings!

Tyler

Hi Tyler, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
  • czarcaustic
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Everyone!

After two whole days of logging everything that goes in my mouth - it is pretty eye opening to see the large amount of hidden calories in a day. Who knew those quick handfuls of cashews here and there were so bad!! I guess that little habit has been broken already. :)

I have a general question about whether I should just jump right into a work out routine - or ease into something as my body gets used to a different caloric intake? Any suggestions?

Tyler T
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Everyone!

After two whole days of logging everything that goes in my mouth - it is pretty eye opening to see the large amount of hidden calories in a day. Who knew those quick handfuls of cashews here and there were so bad!! I guess that little habit has been broken already. :)

I have a general question about whether I should just jump right into a work out routine - or ease into something as my body gets used to a different caloric intake? Any suggestions?

Tyler T

Do whatever YOU feel comfortable doing. :wink: :smile: Me, I HATE exercising, :grumble: so I don't do anything TOO strenuous. :noway: I love dancing to my oldies, jogging with the Wii, and walking when the weather cooperates. :bigsmile:
  • kerilorene
    kerilorene Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making a fresh start. I just started myself but so far I really like it. I like that the more exercise I do, the more calories I have available. The suggestion about logging everything you eat is a great idea. I am trying to stay away from foods that I know make me feel crappy - like pastries, potato chips, and other junk. I call it the "Love my body diet" - the things that make me feel good I try to eat more of like fresh fruit and vegetables.

Good luck!