started off with 115 lbs to lose, now its 125lbs

Options
I started this journey weighing 305 lbs, I am now 315lbs...due to stress and the addiction to eating. I stress over so much, I am having a hard time to learn how to deal with it. I have not started exercising, which is my first reason I am not improving. I also have been using the "I will start my diet tomorrow" saying everyday for at least a month now, second reason. I am so disappointed in myself, but am wondering, am I the only one dealing with this?
Doing something about my obesity is the HARDEST part so far...I just cannot seem to get the motivation I need!
But in my mind I crave it, I want a healthier lifestyle....Just need motivation to get me started and keep pushing me, better yet, shoving me each day.
But, my body doesn't move like a 21 year old body should, my joints ache from doing absolutely nothing. I need to change, but how can I without pulling a muscle or causing something to break. I don't know if I should start out with intense cardio or mild. I just do not want to make a mistake and wind up hurting myself rather than improving myself. I know the saying "No pain no gain" but that is for muscle burning, not bones!! Please, if you have anything or any advice to say to me, feel free to share!

Replies

• Babsvii
    Babsvii Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i have never been overweight so i cant say i know what you are going through... but i think where you need to start off is by doing things slowly... for you a little is going to go a long ways! I would first start off by looking at what you are eating! you might not be able to do intense cardio because of your weight but you CAN control what you eat!

Wanting to be healthy should be motivation enough for you to make the right choices, you have gotten into this downward spiral and now you have to start small to work your way out.

Focus on diet and light walks and work your way up to more intense workouts. Lift weights, it doesnt have to be something heavy just a small weight with lots of reps.... You will be surprised at how a little does go a long ways for you...

Its not going to be fun and its not going to be easy and this isnt going to be a quick fix... think of how many years its taken you to get into this mess, its going to take you long to get out but its possible a little at a time. Eventually your body will get stronger and you wont hurt so bad well working out, but nutrition is going to #1 for you right now!

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and own it! no excuses just do it! Its not a diet or exercise its a lifestyle change to a better healthier you!
  • kasalot
    Options
    Start doing light exercise every day to at least get your body moving & you can build up from there. I made a bunch of small changes early on - all the things they say you should do but that most people don't - parking as far away as possible, walking to the grocery store & back with my bags, taking the stairs instead of the elevator in my building. I built that up to either a 40-min cardio dance workout or hour+ elliptical plus weight lifting at least 5 times a week. Honestly, only you're going to be able to motivate yourself - I was the same way as far as exercise & diet went but one day, it just clicked that my old lifestyle & rigidity re: exercise was slowly killing me & that I didn't want that for my life. You have to want it for your own health. I would also say start by doing active things you really enjoy - I used to dance (& loved doing it) so I started with a dance workout video at home. Trying to force myself into an intense workout to start never worked for me in the long run, but the ability to build on the previous days'/weeks'/months' workouts [& see myself do so by tracking it daily] was immensely helpful.

I also purchased a fitbit which helped show me how active I was during the day & helped me adjust my overall activity. It also syncs with MFP & has been a big motivator for me to get close to my final weight loss goal. I have about 5 more lbs to go to hit my goal, but even if I didn't hit it, I'm down to a healthy weight & feel the best I have in a very long time. Ultimately, that was what mattered most to me.

Hope some/all of this is helpful for you. Good luck with your weight loss journey!
  • freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would say just start with walking ,and make little Changes maybe just start with taking out the goodies and Replace them with something healthy..do that for alittle bit say a week if you mess up.that's ok just start over next day .we all make mistakes and we all will move forward .log everything and be honest with every thing.get some freinds and ask for advice about what your dealing with. Like you.are now .
  • heatherdrinkstea
    Options
    I do understand where you are - I have been there myself and just despaired at my situation.

Please don't give up. Start now by making a plan of some small changes you can make which will help. Things like taking a walk every day, make a meal plan, cut out some snacks, replace fizzy drinks or alcohol with water or tea.

Look for some motivation too, I love reading other people's success stories because they really fire me up, some people use the fat picture on the fridge, find something that works for you.

It can be done because others have done it therefore you can too.

Good luck.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Little changes will make a big difference. But you have to start NOW. This very second. Don't waste one more minute not living the life you want to live. Start small and don't give up if you screw up...and you will. We all do. Be honest with yourself. Be patient with yourself. But take the first step and don't wait to start your journey.
  • IansNonnie
    IansNonnie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You and I are rowing the same boat. We just have to make up our minds to DO IT. Friend as many people as you can on here.. including me! and draw inspiration and motivation from wherever you can from everyone. I always feel so overwhelmed and don't know where to start. That is when I am reminded of the old saying- "How do you eat an elephant?... One bite at a time" Baby steps, girl... baby steps. Walk to the end of your driveway and back- and then message me when you get back to your house. YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    I had to go to a health coach because I did not know where to begin my change in lifestyle. The university where I work provides wellness programs for free.

On the first visit, my health coach set one goal for me and that was to maintain a food diary. I didn't have to do anything else, so this was easy. This is when I joined MFP. The following weeks, I was supposed to set goals for my self. Instead of one goal, I ended up choosing two goals. So far I have lost 19 pounds. I have been logging on to MFP for over 75 days. This website has helped me tons.

The sequence of my goals are as follows:

Week 1 - Food diary
    Week 2- Stop eating chips and eat breakfast
    Week 3 - Give up regular Coke (this was harder than hell); take my lunch to work and cut back on chocolate
    Week 4- Twenty minutes of exercise four times a week. (I began working out to "Yoga for Complete Beginners" which is on Youtube. It's kind of easy.)
    Week 5 - Eat at least two pieces of fruit a day and have a salad at lunch or dinner along with an entree.
    Week 6 - Exercise 45 minutes a day. I increased this because I got hooked on Yoga
    Week 7 - Cardio (not much luck)
    Week 8- Cut back on beer. I've been having a glass or two of wine a week.

I found that I started doing some things on my own like cutting out fried foods, eating multi-grain bread, reading labels, and drinking eight glasses of water a day. I bought a Nutri-Bullet so I can make smoothies for breakfast. These will fill you up.

Take it slow and don't beat yourself up if you overeat. Start over the next day.
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    girl just start walking! walking is great and you don't have to go walk 5 miles the first time, you can walk for 5 mins... then 10 mins...then 12 minutes... just keep walking and one day you'll love walking. once you feel more comfortable add some other things you like to do - your profile says you want to be able to dance - well you can dance your way to that thinner healthier body! there are tons of games and work out dvds with dancing, I like to play just dance but there are literally millions of dvds with every type of dance and you can start off slow and keep going. its going to be hard but you have to push through, log all your food (even if it is bad!) and drink lots of water. allow yourself to gradually get off certain foods or even just eat them less - if you eat a certain unhealthy thing everyday, try eating it every other day...then leave more days in between. it gets easier, trust me. you just have to be dedicated and try your hardest.

feel free to add me if you want some friends, i just turned 22 so i'm about your age :)
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! Like others said, small changes add up!

When I first started losing weight, I worked on my emotions, on eliminating ONE calorific/empty calirie item at a time. It gets slower results but it lasts and you wont rebound as hard when you indulge. It takes time!

Honestly - take it ONE thing at a time. Drink more water and eliminate sweet drinks. If you avcomplish nothing else for 6 months but this, you will see a difference. Then eliminate processed junk food, or sugary treats, etc. One at a time..

As for exercise, I feel you. At my heaviest 65lbs ago it was an effort to walk slowly up a hill nevermind exetcise at a moderate pave for 45 minutes a day!
    Even today you cant pay me to run or push myself to sprint. Will I lose weight faster? Yup. But I will hate it. I will want to hsve an indulgent food afterwards (and be very inclined to do so because Im resentful of the aches and pains). So I walk. I love walking. I dance. I lift weights. I cycle.

I take it slow because it has worked and I am happy. I am not conplacent, I track my food and get my exercise in but I keep myself happy doing it so I know I will continue. Dont listen to anyone who says doing things sliw or not exercisinf at an insane pace is a waste of time. The only thing that is a waste of time is not doing anything at all or doing something only to destroy your hard work in the end.

*hugs* Feel free to add me for support. Either way, good luck and know that you can do it!
  • MissLotte
    MissLotte Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Walking. If you are not used to moving around, walking is the best. You can do it as vigorously or gently as you like, you can swing your arms or put your hands in you pocket, you can walk on the flat or on hills. This is something you can really vary if you want to but when you have finished your walk, however long or gentle, remember to do some stretches afterwards, this will help you feel more flexible and less achy.

As for motivation, only you know the reasons for which you are truely wanting to lose weight. Make yourself a bit of list, most people do this in their profiles, reasons for why you want to lose weight; to be healthy, to be fit, to reduce the risk of heart disease, to buy cute clothes etc... Whenever you feel you are lacking motivation it's a good reference point to come back to and remind yourself of your reasons and of any goals. It's also great for your MFP contacts to be able to help and hold you accountable and encourage you.

I have only lost 10lbs so far but I have done this simply by eating a calorie controlled diet and doing more walking (eating my exercise calories back most of the time). I have just started doing 30 day shred as I felt I was ready to tackle something harder but that's for you to decide when. I have taken inspiration from my Mum, Sister and Dad, all who have lost around 30+lbs since August on a calorie controlled diet alone, no exercise at all - not even walking.

Everyday I look on the 'Success Stories' message board, this really helps me as I can see that it really is possible to lose the weight, get healthy and get the body I want, I just have to stick to it.

Sticking to it, that can be hard. I have found myself a routine which works for me. You need to find a routine for planning meals that suits you. Here's a bit of a list of things that have helped me get started and keep going;

1. Logged how many calories I ate before embarking on weight loss
    2. Worked out, using MFP, how many calories I should be eating each day
    3. Eating breakfast for the first time since I started school (so, 29 yrs)
    4. Making time to walk, even if only for 20mins or move my body some other way.
    5. MFP app and Garmin Fit app for mobile phone, keep me in check
    6. Weighing out and planning meals in advance (only 1 day, some prefer to do it weekly etc.)
    7. Routine breakfast and lunch while at work, 30g of cereal + milk, Tin of soup, 2 Pieces of fruit
    8. Very varied and wide range of evening meals, I use low calorie cook books as well as my own recipes to keep things interesting
    9. The MFP success stories
    10. My MFP contacts
    11. Set myself a main goal and mini goals
    12. Discovering that it's working helps a lot
    13. Stretching every day has made me feel more mobile
    14. Cutting out coffee has worked for me

All these things have worked for me, but everyone is different. You will find your own way and the things that work for you. The first couple of weeks were the toughest for me but now it is routine, it does feel good to know I'm doing something about my weight - finally.

For probably the last 5 years I have been saying that I want to lose weight, that I will start my diet tomorrow, that I will start working out when things get less hectic at work, blah blah blah.... Well if I had done it then I wouldn't be here now, needing to lose 63lbs. That's my biggest thing, I kept on saying it and talking about it instead of just doing it. So instead of being healthy for the last 5 years, I've been miserable and unmotivated and unhealthy when I could have been doing this, then.

Remember this isn't about dieting, this is changing the way you see food, the way you cook food, how much food you eat. It's about changing the habits of a lifetime for something new and better. It's about making sure you have a future, getting healthy and fit. It's about your relationship with food, food is fuel - not therapy. Food to a human is like fuel in a car, you only need what it takes to function, but we have the ability to be able to store the excess where we don't want or NEED it.

Maintain weight - Carlories in = Calories burned
    Gain weight - Carlories in > Calories burned
    Lose weight - Calories in < Calories burned

There's lots of different calculators you can use to help you figure these things out, BMR, TDEE, MFP Settings, heart rate monitors etc. Do your own research, this will help you retain the information and change your mindset - long term. People telling you won't help you change as much as finding out for yourself. Gain knowledge and lose weight for the long term. Knowledge doesn't weigh anything.

Don't put off until tomorrow what can be done today. Feel free to add me to your MFP support network. I hope that you find the things that work for you. All the best and don't give up. It's an uphill struggle but the higher you climb, the better at it you get and if you give up now, how will things have changed from any other time before?...
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The most simple answer is to act. Stop making excuses. Start right NOW. Obviously you want to do it, so just do it. I know, "it's not that easy", but I never said it was gonna be easy. It's gonna be hard and it'll suck at first, but at your weight the pounds will fall off at first if you just buck up and do it. That in itself should be enough motivation to start and keep going. Stop making excuses and just start.

EDIT: Oh, and for the exercise, just walk. Start with 30 mins a day. You won't break a bone doing that.
  • trumb58
    Options
    All I know is that this site works, IF you journal every day and are honest!!!! I have been overweight practically all my life, except when I was litte and up to age 15!! Less input, MORE output. Get yourself a pair of Size 14 jeans and imagnie what you'll look like in them. YOU CAN DO IT!!!! I am going to do it!! If I eat something that I shouldn't, off I go walking and/or exercising. You can eat anything but CHART it and drink at least 8-10 glasses of water. In fact, drink water when you feel hungry. Nobody but you can make that change! Your desire to change has to be greater than your desire to stay the same :0) I'm here for you if you are here for me!! I have about 100 pounds to lose...I know what I'm talking about :0)))
  • gmp091
    Options
    I started my new lifestyle at 306.6 lbs. I lost 40 lbs by using mfp and walking EVERYDAY....just walking! You can do it too. Drink lots of water and watch your calorie intake...I have gained some weight back because I need to up my intesity for my fitness now that it is a year later. I have faith you can do it soley from walking!
  • caitlyn30
    caitlyn30 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Just start. personally, i would not start with a hard work out - it will burn you out if you are not used to it.
    I have lost 46 lbs since june. all i do is watch what i eat (actually eat whatever I want - but in moderation) stay under your calories / watch your sodium and sugar. thats it. and walk. make it a routine to try to go out walking everyday or night to get some exercise. once you get started, you will be surprised how easy it really is.
  • CindyLRP
    CindyLRP Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The first step to losing weight is to admit the problem to yourself. Finding the inspiration is the individual motivation that is different for everyone, but you are HERE and you are reaching out for help and that is the next step! Stop beating yourself up.

One day something just "clicks" and you feel that today is the day...why can't that be every day's motto?
    Rules:
    1)Don't compare your goals or your progress OR your lack of progress with anyone else. Remember that we are each here because gained weight; we have a common goal and that is to lose weight. No matter how we did it or how often we did it, everyone of us let ourselves down. Bottom line: whether the goal is to lose 10 pounds or 100 pounds, we are each her to want to lose extra weight.
    2) Log everything you eat. If you don't want to log it, don't eat it! Don't cheat, either; being honest only helps ME lose weight and feel great about myself.
    3) Find the real reason you want to lose weight. How I got to this predicament in my life doesn't matter any more than your past does...every single one of us has a common goal: to lose weight. I really liked your comment: I want to wiggle, not jiggle! Be honest with yourself; I am not on a restricted calorie diet because I want to be healthy...I want to be an old, sexy lady! Health is important, but let's face it: I want to actually look as sexy as I think I am!
    4) The dreaded "E" word. Don't overwhelm yourself thinking you have to do it all or none. If you don't like exercising, you can put it off for awhile. Will exercise help to lose weight? Sure, but so will reducing your caloric intake! Lose a few pounds and then gradually add some activity. It doesn't have to be strenuous or even athletic. LOL...it just has to be a start! I have a mini trampoline; I put on the music and "dance". Someday the jiggles will actually be wiggles! :)
    5) One day at a time! Have one good day and see how good that makes you feel about yourself. Make a progress chart, put it on your frig, and give yourself a good star for every goal you meet or 2 stars when you exceed! Then have another good day and keep the stars in mind when the next day is only mediocre because you get another star tomorrow! You have days ahead of you....just keep getting there!

Good luck to you, sweetie!!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    i have never been overweight so i cant say i know what you are going through... but i think where you need to start off is by doing things slowly... for you a little is going to go a long ways! I would first start off by looking at what you are eating! you might not be able to do intense cardio because of your weight but you CAN control what you eat!

Wanting to be healthy should be motivation enough for you to make the right choices, you have gotten into this downward spiral and now you have to start small to work your way out.

Focus on diet and light walks and work your way up to more intense workouts. Lift weights, it doesnt have to be something heavy just a small weight with lots of reps.... You will be surprised at how a little does go a long ways for you...

Its not going to be fun and its not going to be easy and this isnt going to be a quick fix... think of how many years its taken you to get into this mess, its going to take you long to get out but its possible a little at a time. Eventually your body will get stronger and you wont hurt so bad well working out, but nutrition is going to #1 for you right now!

Stop feeling sorry for yourself and own it! no excuses just do it! Its not a diet or exercise its a lifestyle change to a better healthier you!

Thank you so much =) I needed that and your advice helps motivate me!
  • beatingobesityforlife
    Options
    Start doing light exercise every day to at least get your body moving & you can build up from there. I made a bunch of small changes early on - all the things they say you should do but that most people don't - parking as far away as possible, walking to the grocery store & back with my bags, taking the stairs instead of the elevator in my building. I built that up to either a 40-min cardio dance workout or hour+ elliptical plus weight lifting at least 5 times a week. Honestly, only you're going to be able to motivate yourself - I was the same way as far as exercise & diet went but one day, it just clicked that my old lifestyle & rigidity re: exercise was slowly killing me & that I didn't want that for my life. You have to want it for your own health. I would also say start by doing active things you really enjoy - I used to dance (& loved doing it) so I started with a dance workout video at home. Trying to force myself into an intense workout to start never worked for me in the long run, but the ability to build on the previous days'/weeks'/months' workouts [& see myself do so by tracking it daily] was immensely helpful.

I also purchased a fitbit which helped show me how active I was during the day & helped me adjust my overall activity. It also syncs with MFP & has been a big motivator for me to get close to my final weight loss goal. I have about 5 more lbs to go to hit my goal, but even if I didn't hit it, I'm down to a healthy weight & feel the best I have in a very long time. Ultimately, that was what mattered most to me.

Hope some/all of this is helpful for you. Good luck with your weight loss journey!

Congrats on your success on your journey! Every bit of your thoughts and advice def helps me realize what my goals are and what motivates me. To ensure I apply my motivation everyday will be a hard job, but it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks for sharing def encouraging to me =)
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to where you are coming from.
    I have been overweight my entire life - and I was finally ready to do something about it about 10 years ago. (it took at least 6 months of me thinking about doing something before I was actually ready to DO it).

I started weight watchers at that time, and I lost 70 pounds. I was the skinniest I had ever been in my entire life. I maintained that weight for a few years, and very slowly - it came creeping back on me. Life happened - stress happened, lots of things happened - and I stopped trying or caring. Over the last 10 years, I gained all 70 pounds back plus 20 more.

During that time - over the last 5 years or so, I kept thinking I was ready to try again. I'd start a diet, lose about 15 lbs, then give up and gain it all back, plus more. This cycle went on until March 2012. At that time, I decided I was FINALLY ready to do it for real, again.

I know that nothing that ANYBODY could've said to me would've made me ready. YOU have to be ready to do this for YOURSELF. Not for anybody else - not because of anything anybody has said to you. It has to be when you are absolutely, 100% ready to dedicate yourself to losing weight and eating healthier. Until you are 100% ready, it isn't going to work. I know from personal experience.

Since March, I have lost 34 lbs, and I have about 48 lbs to go to my goal weight. I am much more dedicated this time than I EVER was before. And I know the only reason for that is because I was 100% ready for this. Good luck and stick with it! You will be ready one day :)

the biggest piece of advice I can give you is that you need to be completely honest with yourself!
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I started this journey at 376, and as of today's weigh-in, I'm at 272.2. The last few weeks have been particularly hard with Halloween, and 3 birthdays in my family.

I had a "defining moment" where I realized that SOMETHING had to change. I went to "Moms & Muffins" day at school with my daughter and had trouble just getting to the door. Once in the door, I had to sit down and catch my breath because I was so out of shape.

I've lost the last 100 pounds without exercising - just making dietary changes. I'm now to the point where I feel like I need to add exercise, and just lacking motivation to do it - so I totally understand where you're coming from.

It just has to be something you make up your mind that "I'm doing this, starting now." Know that you're going to stumble, and make peace with imperfection (as it says in "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff"). Just remember that when you do stumble to get back up and dust yourself off - and say, "Okay self....back on track....here we go."

You can do this. We're in it right together now - not very far apart at all in our weight....If I can do it, you can do it!!
  • terrymbradley
    Options
    I started this journey weighing 305 lbs, I am now 315lbs...due to stress and the addiction to eating. I stress over so much, I am having a hard time to learn how to deal with it. I have not started exercising, which is my first reason I am not improving. I also have been using the "I will start my diet tomorrow" saying everyday for at least a month now, second reason. I am so disappointed in myself, but am wondering, am I the only one dealing with this?
    Doing something about my obesity is the HARDEST part so far...I just cannot seem to get the motivation I need!
    But in my mind I crave it, I want a healthier lifestyle....Just need motivation to get me started and keep pushing me, better yet, shoving me each day.
    But, my body doesn't move like a 21 year old body should, my joints ache from doing absolutely nothing. I need to change, but how can I without pulling a muscle or causing something to break. I don't know if I should start out with intense cardio or mild. I just do not want to make a mistake and wind up hurting myself rather than improving myself. I know the saying "No pain no gain" but that is for muscle burning, not bones!! Please, if you have anything or any advice to say to me, feel free to share!

I have gone thru a lot of what you have adding that I have a form of Crippling Arthritis. My Neck, Shoulders, Lower Back and my hips are fused. I have Foot Nerophy in both my feet. I started by walking 10 minutes today was my best I went for 40 minutes I don't measure in steps or miles or blocks I just start the timer and go for a walk. Some days are worse than others maybe next time out it mite only be 20 minutes again but at least I am giving it a go.

Forgot to mention I only have 45% of one lung and 50% of the other due to Blood Clots and my ribs are fused so I can't take a deep breath.

Just take it one step at a time you can do this.

Have a great Thanksgiving