The paleo diet and calorie counting

Options
2»

Replies

• LemonMint6
    Options
    Hello :)

From today I'm starting the paleo diet except for at breakfast, can't be without my porridge in the morning :)
    I'm lactose intolerant already so it's mainly the grain products I'm also avoiding, my stomach doesn't seem to be handling them that well...
    Anyway, I've heard that if you follow this sort of diet like paleo or lchf, you shouldn't calorie count.
    Just wondering if that is true? And if yes, should I still do it cause I'm still having oats?
    Maybe a stupid question hehe.

The Paleo diet is NOT a weight loss diet. It is a "way of life" diet. It is meant to be healthy (I don't have a comment as to whether it is or is not). It is not meant to make you lose weight.

That said, some will likely lose weight on it because they will automatically eat fewer calories. Some will not lose weight on it.

To lose weight, count calories.

This.
  • svallie
    Options
    Kristen: I just started the Paleo diet a week ago, so take this for what it's worth ...

I am counting calories in order to keep track of my daily calorie deficit. My protein target is 150g/day or more. Personally, I'm finding if I hit my protein target, the calories take care of themselves.

So true. I feel like I'm having to force feed to get my 117g of protein/day.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a Personal Paleo Code (Chris Kresser) style of Paleo since January 2nd and I never did the 30 day intro and I'm down 16lbs without exercising (due to back issues). In the beginning I did not give up my dairy (cheese, yogurt and butter) but lately I have cut it way way down as a result of possible intolerance. I may even have to cut it totally but I'm taking it day by day. I have had to adjust my macros several times in the process as well as my calorie intake. I'm only tracking because in the beginning I found it hard to eat enough (700 cals felt like thanksgiving!). I just had no appetite but I think part of that was my body making the change and resting. I still don't have much of an appetite but I don't force myself to eat either. I've started to listen to my body. Eat when I'm truly hungry (not just out of boredom or habit) and stop when I'm almost full. I agree that this style of eating is more satiating and therefore you do not need to eat as much food to feel full. However, as others have said QUALITY of food matters just as much as QUANTITY. The reason the SAD makes us fat is because we're never truly satisfied and keep looking for the next food item to fill that void and 90% of those calories are empty liquids that have nothing to them (aside from the HFCS and all the other crap they put in foods, but that's fodder for another forum lol)

In the beginning track calories if you want to or feel you need to just to see where your hunger level is putting you. The first week or two you may still feel like you need to eat more or you may be like me and have no appetite. It will balance out. If you're still worried about the calorie thing and deficit for weight loss, then don't eat back exercise calories. Your body will tell you what it wants and when it wants it. There are times when I need a little protein snack before bed especially if it's been awhile since I've eaten dinner. I usually have a tablespoon of homemade almond butter or about 4-6 Brazil nuts depending on how I feel.

Personally I have learned the following about myself - I do better emotionally, physically and mentally if I have a high protein breakfast and a lighter dinner. I don't do well, feel well, or lose weight if I eat over 100g carbs daily even if from veggies. I don't always need to eat 3 meals a day and some days if I'm really busy or out for a long time I need 6 meals. It's ok to eat ONLY when you are hungry and not at a set time of day. I log my calories but I don't worry about going over. If I'm hungry I'll eat something (I also use the android app to keep track of nutrition totals for the week as this is not available on the desktop so this helps me see where I'm at long term and it usually shows that I've been low in some areas so my body is trying to make up for it.)

1. Quality of food
    2. Listen to your body
    3. Focus on meeting macro settings but don't be afraid to adjust them to what your body naturally is craving.

Everyone is different and this is not a one size fits all standard diet plan like everything else out there. Oh, and I agree, it's not a DIET per se so you don't really come off of it, but a lifestyle so focus on improving your life and food choices and the calories will take care of themself.

Good luck to you!
  • sarahford09
    sarahford09 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Give this recipe a try for kinda paleo porridge. You won't miss oatmeal anymore.
    I make up big batches at a time then I can grab some for eating at work, or if I'm hungry in the evening

http://marmaladeandmileposts.com/archives/21240

Nom!! :)
  • smand2000
    Options
    I understand that a lot of people think it's "calories in, calories out" but that doesn't change the fact that 1000 calories of carbs is far worse than 3000 calories of protein. Just continuing to say it doesn't make it true. Your body does not do the same thing with protein and fat that it does with carbs. Replacing simple carbs with protein and fat will cause your body to stop storing fat and start using fat as energy. Yes, you can lose weight by working with a calorie deficit, but a lot of the time your body is using whatever calories are available as energy and that includes muscle. So what would people rather do, just lose weight or lose fat? Because if you want to lose fat than your weight shouldnt matter.

The video is pretty long but I find it really interesting. It explains the general idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDneyrETR2o

The whole "calories in / calories out" vs. devil carbs debate reminds me so much of Darwinism and Creationism. You can decide for yourselves which one is equivalent to which ...
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've lost a shed load of body fat and gained muscle in cut and bulk cycles. Eating shed loads of carbs.

I also eat a lot of Paleo foods, but I'm not on a Paleo diet.

Calories Calories out folks. Science innit.

If you've lost fat on a Paleo diet, it's because you've been on a deficit, planned or coincidental. The few pounds lost at the beginning is water and glycogen loss.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat oatmeal, it's really not the paleo diet, so don't call it that. I believe if you are going to follow something, follow it, don't make up your own rules. If you are going to make up your own rules, eat what makes sense (high protein, lower carb, whole foods, etc). And yes, to lose weight you have to be at a calorie deficient. Just like on Atkins you can eat a pound of bacon and 4 12oz steaks a day (which by the way, so not healthy) and not lose weight because you ate too many calories.

My suggestion is to not follow a particular plan. You don't need to. Eat your fruits and veggies, lean proteins, limit unhealthy fats, limit white carbs and eat at a calorie deficient. I say this because as soon as you "get off" the paleo diet (even if it does work for you) you'll slowly put the weight back on. If you eat healthy and "bad" things in moderation you can keep the weight off forever. Which to me sounds like a much better plan...

OMG 5 (yes that's all) posts in and the 'it's not the right name brigade' are posting up their anger at somebody either doing a diet which is incorrectly named, or not following the rules to the letter.

Sorry, just needed to get that out of my system!!!

The answer to your question is absolutely you can count calories and do your diet.

I personally eat a style of paleo called the Primal Blue Print. My diet is self regulating (for me) and therefore I do not log my food or count my calories, however if somebody on the diet wishes to do that then its more than a sensible option.

So if you want to count calories then great - crack on.

Please can I ask though that in future reference you refer to the diet as the Paleoatmeal diet.:smile: