For everyone freaking out about Thanksgiving...

Options

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think prelogging a few thousand calories sounds like a great idea! I've been trying to decide just how specific I want to try to be with my food diary that day and that really sounds like a plan. I probably will bank a few calories tomorrow and Wednesday which has kind of been the way I've done things all along, as I'm not as hungry some days as others.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
  • thisisiamj
    thisisiamj Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna do a quick work out in the morning and eat all the turkey I want -- plus the extras :) I'm not worrying!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yup - planning to look at it that way on Christmas day. I'm not going to log one bite. I'm going to enjoy what's available, and enjoy my family time.

But ya know what? I discovered at Canadian Thanksgiving that I couldn't eat as much as I used to. So I'm not really worried about going crazy on Christmas. I'll eat until I'm satisfied, and stop there (instead of stuffing myself, like I might have at one time).
  • Brandi1168
    Brandi1168 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great post! :)
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Great post!!
  • SeekingOne54
    SeekingOne54 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, on some days, calorie counting just isn't worth it to me.

Amen, sister. Good advice. Celebrating on occassion is good for the body, mind and spirit in my opinion. Cheers, y'all, and have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy myself and as far as diet to something similar to this, which is what I do for all social eating occasions so that I can enjoy them when I decide to go to something. Thanksgiving and Christmas are too important to miss. We are meant to have feast days (just not every day!). The only thing I will do different compared to this article is I will workout hard because I WANT to --> http://johnbarban.com/whats-your-diet-and-exercise-plan-for-the-next-7-weeks/
    Working out prior to a big feast will only increase your appetite.
  • KathyRed07
    Options
    ....**One BAD meal cannot make you Fat ~ just like one GOOD meal cannot make you Skinny**...
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!!!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    well written
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    AMEN.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Well said, thanks for sharing! :happy:
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Awesome post!!!
  • punkinrn
    punkinrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    CAN I GET AN AMEN!!!!
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Very well said. It isn't 1 or 2 days a year that made us overweight.

I like to have a good long workout or run a race early Thanksgiving morning. Do I do it so I won't feel guilty, or burn more of those Turkey day calories? Nope, I do it so that I'm even hungrier for all the yummy food. My realtives are probably on here somewhere posting about how they know this guy that can eat whatever he wants and stays thin...
  • Lormic98
    Options
    Well said! Thanks, and enjoy!
  • sstoro
    sstoro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your post. I have to admit I've been a little worried due to the fact that Thanksgiving is a few days away and my family is going on a 7 day cruise in a few weeks! Your post makes me feel much better.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options

People hosting parties have enough on their minds without my "special needs" .......

This is so very, very awesome! Thank you!
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    If you have been on this board at all the past few weeks you have likely seen many new topics posted about how to stay on your diet plan during Thanksgiving, how to not overeat, how to tell your relatives you can only have salad, etc... As someone who lost 80 pounds 8 years ago and has managed to keep it off (except for a few minor weight gains in the first couple years as I learned about proper weight maintenance), I wanted to give my completely non-expert, non-professional, non-scientifically founded advice.

Hopefully, you see whatever diet/exercise plan you are following as a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. Now, are you going to freak out about Thanksgiving every year for the rest of your life? I have eaten whatever I wanted at Thanksgiving since I got to my goal weight eight years ago. My family is from the south and absolutely every side items is a casserole, full of butter, cream, cheese, bread crumbs, etc. There is not one single healthy option, except maybe the celery that is under all the cream cheese. I have eaten that food, drank several glasses of wine, had pumpkin or pecan pie, and then had a leftover turkey sandwich for dinner every Thanksgiving. And you know what? It has not hindered my long term weight loss goals. Now, I wouldn't recommend stepping on the scale the next day. But I would recommend not feeling guilty, not trying to starve yourself for days to make up for it, and not trying to throw in hours of extra exercise in an attempt to burn the calories. Just wake up, get back to your normal routine immediately, and your weight will soon be back to normal. Most of the weight you put on will just be water weight anyways.

I have seen posts on here in the last week with people saying they are only going to eat salad and a piece of turkey, they are going to use an extremely small plate, one person even said she was going to ask the hostess to keep all the food wrappers so she could log in the calories exactly. Can you imagine if someone asked you to do that? Not only would I think they were incredibly rude, I would think they were a certifiable nut job.

This is ONE DAY that happens ONCE A YEAR! As gluttonous as it is, it is an American tradition. So please, stop stressing. This is supposed to be a fun time to spend bonding with your family over traditional foods. Don't ruin it with anxiety over some extra calories that are not going to matter a few days later. Maybe watch your portions and pick one dessert instead of all three, exercise in the morning, but enjoy yourself and don't worry about every calorie you take in!

6 days ago, I got back from an all inclusive island vacation. I ate like it was Thanksgiving every morning at the breakfast buffet and every afternoon at the lunch buffet. You would have thought every five course dinner was my last meal. I pretty much drank like I was on college spring break. I did run 5 to 6 miles every morning, but with the amount of food I was eating it didn't matter. When I got back home, I made the mistake of weighing myself. I had gained 10 pounds! I freaked for a second, but promised myself the next day I would just get back into my normal routine of daily exercise and healthy eating. I weighed myself this morning and I am back to my pre-weight trip, in less than a week. That is from 5 days of binging, so I don't think anyone is going to gain 5 permanent pounds from enjoying one Thanksgiving dinner.

I know everyone's body/metabolism/whatever is different, but be realistic here. If you really want to make this a lifestyle change, it has to be doable and you have to allow yourself to relax sometimes and just enjoy life.

Congratulations on your long term sustained weight loss! Thank you for this very sane post, I appreciate it very much.

Happy Thanksgiving to you.
  • joslin2005
    Options
    Love this post........it's a life style change not a diet!!! Enjoy Thanksgiving EVERYONE =)

This!