Gym routine

Options
Hello,

I have been going to the gym for the past 5 weeks. Basically, I do 45 minutes cardio and 15 minutes on weight machines.

I would like to change my routine a bit, is there a website or apps that can suggest some new exercises?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • darkdanita
    Options
    When you put the weight machine exercises on your myfitness ap, does it show any calories burned? Mine doesn't.
  • Pinkyivy
    Options
    @wellbert : Weight loss for now

@Darkdanita: no it does not... I track it with my polar watch and add it manually.
  • mell6355
    mell6355 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like the Skimble work out app for my spart phone, there are a ton of different workouts and step by step instructions so you do them the right way.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have been going to the gym for the past 5 weeks. Basically, I do 45 minutes cardio and 15 minutes on weight machines.

You don't say what your goals are but since you're using the weight machines I can only assume you are hoping to "tone up" (i.e. build/strengthen muscles). If this is the case then I would recommend reducing your cardio and starting to use free weights and/or body weight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, etc).
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting For Women (sorry, I'm assuming you're female) there is a ready to go routine.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting For Women (sorry, I'm assuming you're female) there is a ready to go routine.

Many people on this site have had much success with that book. I suspect it'd work for men as well as women, especially if you're new. Good luck!
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    45 minutes of weights and 15 minutes of cardio
  • Pinkyivy
    Options
    I mentionned it in my second post... sorry about that... for now I mainly want to lose weight. (currently at 237 pounds... hoping to reach 140 pounds... I give myself 10 pounds goals at the time)

You don't say what your goals are but since you're using the weight machines I can only assume you are hoping to "tone up" (i.e. build/strengthen muscles). If this is the case then I would recommend reducing your cardio and starting to use free weights and/or body weight exercises (push-ups, pull-ups, etc).
  • hockeyd11
    hockeyd11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason's program on bodybuilding.com. I haven't actually done the program yet but looks great and I can't wait to try it!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason's Live Fit program is a great way to start. I finished it a couple months ago and since then have continued strength training on my own. If you don't want to try her program, I suggest 45 minutes of weight training followed by 15-25 minutes of HIIT (high intensity interval training) 30 sec walk/30 sec sprint.

cutandjacked.com also has some really good workout programs and splits. This is the schedule I'm basically following right now, though I don't do the exact exercises listed to keep changing things up. Usually takes me about 35 minutes to complete, not including a 10 min warm up before hand, and then I'll finish my workout with 15 min HIIT, and then cool down by walking home from the gym.

http://cutandjacked.com/Workout-Download-Angela-Leong-IFBB-Bikini-Pro
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Many people on this site have had much success with that book. I suspect it'd work for men as well as women, especially if you're new. Good luck!

DOOOO ITTTT! Best use of 12$ I've ever spent. Can't even describe the changes I'm seeing since reducing cardio and focusing on weight lifting.