Thanksgiving Meal

Options
For the first time in years, I'm not hosting the family Thanksgiving meal, I guilted my brother into hosting at his home. That said, I'm making the turkey and gravy. There won't be any low-cal options at the table, even veggies get a butter/fat treatment. I'm thinking in advance about my meal, aside from some skinless turkey breast, I can't think of anything I'm going to want on my plate. Is it too weird to bring my own plate of steamed veggies LOL

What are YOUR plans? Feast or not :-)

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm canadian. but if I were American - I'd be enjoying myself at t-giving dinner. keep it tight and go a little lower all week - lots of exercise. then enjoy yourself!

my two cents
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    If you treat Thanksgiving as ONE meal (not a DAY, a meal)--then as long as you don't eat until you are stuffed I think you are ok. If you exercise, try to make time for a workout on Thanksgiving morning or add an extra one into the week somewhere--or increase the length of a workout you already have planned.

That's what I am doing anyway--not fretting about going over on one meal as long as I'm not going crazy! And I am working out in the morning.
  • Kateswalsh
    Kateswalsh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree. Eat what is there, treat it as one meal and watch the portions. It is more than you usually eat but as long as you are cognizant of what you are eating, keep up with exercise, etc., I don't see a problem with enjoying your family and the meal.
  • sherryberry038
    Options
    I have made my mind up not to track on Thanksgiving or Christmas. I have spent the last 3 years 'dieting' and trying to watch what I ate, to overeat anyways. I just want to enjoy the day with my family and not worry about tracking or measuring anything!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Step 1. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/800412-for-everyone-freaking-out-about-thanksgiving

Step 2. Relax

Step 3. Eat ALL the goodies!

Step 4. Get back on regular routine.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am making so lower cal things for thanks giving along with some crazy high cal things. It is all about balance. Even if you don't cook anything low cal, it is only 1 meal and will not set you back as much as you think!

1 Brined Turkey (Alton Brown Recipe), Skinnytaste.com Sweet Potato casserole, Brussels Sprouts Roasted w/ pancetta and Skinnytaste.com no bake pumpkin cheesecake(Modified to be nearly sugar free). And for the BF family: Roasted veggies with white truffles (eggplant, yellow squash, zuccini, shallots, garlic and red bell peppers with truffles and truffle cheese) and Martha Stewart's Mississippi Mud Pie (More like crazy mud cake!)
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I will be home for Thanksgiving at my cousin's house. She has the least amount of pets and it is large enough to accommodate my entire family. The menu will be turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, and a whole bunch of veggies. Desserts will be pies and cookies.

Im gonna skip the ham and have turkey. I will indulge in the sweets and will log everything from the day but will keep myself a reminder to not be upset if I go over. its only one day a year and I have not gained anything since Ive started this journey.

I have 2 teenage cousins and a younger cousin (9 years old) that will definitely keep me busy. Whether it is playing outside or going for a walk.

Turkey day is not getting me down this year :smile:

Animated_Happy_Thanksgiving_turkey_sign.gif
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you treat Thanksgiving as ONE meal (not a DAY, a meal)--then as long as you don't eat until you are stuffed I think you are ok. If you exercise, try to make time for a workout on Thanksgiving morning or add an extra one into the week somewhere--or increase the length of a workout you already have planned.

That's what I am doing anyway--not fretting about going over on one meal as long as I'm not going crazy! And I am working out in the morning.

That's what I'm doing too. I'm not going to gorge myself but I'm not going to worry too much about it either. I'm also going to log every morsel, even if it's just in the notes section of the food diary (in case finding calorie counts is a huge chore). I've found that I'm a lot better about having smaller portions if it's a holiday meal since starting MFP, so let's hope it holds true on Thursday!

Good luck!
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you would feel more comfortable bringing your own veggies so that you are not tempted to go overboard, do it! It is entirely up to you how you spend your day, and you need to spend it in the way that will make you feel most fulfilled. If you feel like treating yourself will make you have a happy holiday, go for it -- if you feel like you might feel guilty for indulging, bring your own veggies. I had decided yesterday that I would give myself this week off to have fun and get into the spirit of Thanksgiving and yummies, but I woke up this morning feeling more motivated than ever to knock of some pounds! Consider your options throughout the week and make a choice that will make you look back on your holiday with happiness, comfort, and a feeling of goodness.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding cheesy, this "journey" that we're on is for life. Having said that, it's Thanksgiving! Give thanks that you've decided to do this for yourself, and dig in! Take a nap, and work out the next day. You could also just work out Thanksgiving morning if you're feeling especially guilty about taking a day off. :)
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    I'm not leaving to go anywwhere that day until 1pm..planning on a good run in the morning possibly, and enjoying my day. i am going to log, but not worry to much if I end up going a little over. Like everyone said, do a workout in the morning if you can fit it in, enjoy your meal, get back to it the next day..most of all, have fun..remember we are all human. :bigsmile:
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Pretty much eating what I want - but I am making the food and not going nuts with loads of side dishes, etc. I also plan on running 6-8 miles on Thanksgiving morning. The problem comes in if you go crazy on leftovers for a week afterwards.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I will be burning a ton of calories, compared to normal, with all the cooking and such. I will eat until I am stuffed, and I will log it all.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    I think that if you bring a plate of steamed veggies, you should bring it as a side dish for others to eat as well. Then you can just fill up your plate with them. I think I would feel awkward bringing my own plate of food, not to share, but just for myself at thanksgiving.

I plan on going all out and enjoying my day. Even if I do gain, I'm not going to fall off the wagon. I'm just going to continue my journey Friday and maybe get some extra workouts in there.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it would be both weird and rude to bring a plate of steamed veggies just for you. But it would not be weird or rude to bring a bowl of steamed veggies (or other healthy side dish) for the entire party.

If you want a healthier option, bring a dish for the table. Don't single yourself out as the "dieter" in the group.
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    LOL. I just spent the last hour trying to see how many calories were in a bacon wrapped turkey? Looks like under 600-900 calories. Going to see some red numbers tomorrow.
    It's just a day. Back on the wagon Friday. :)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    bcattoes wrote: »
    I think it would be both weird and rude to bring a plate of steamed veggies just for you. But it would not be weird or rude to bring a bowl of steamed veggies (or other healthy side dish) for the entire party.

Yep. My aunt always brings a couple of side dishes (steamed veg, no butter) to share.
  • hehlh01
    hehlh01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BRING YOUR OWN VEGGIES! That's what I'm doing, plus I'm having a salad too! I've learned that I can't expect the world to change for me, but I can put my foot down to what I put in my body. Good luck tomorrow!!!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    If you treat Thanksgiving as ONE meal (not a DAY, a meal)--then as long as you don't eat until you are stuffed I think you are ok. .

What will happen if I eat until I'm stuffed?

You gotta go on a liquor cleanse. *nod*