Protein shakes make anyone else's teeth and breath funky?

Options
I use Bariatric Advantage meal replacement protein shakes, and lately I am noticing no matter how I brush and swish my breath is horrific and I have this chalky/grainy residue on the inner sides of my teeth... I am fairly sure this is due to the shakes, does anyone know why this happens and what I can do to make it go away (besides the obvious "stop drinking it" as that's not an option). Any input is appreciated, I want to hear from my fellow protein shake drinking gack mouths :)

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    get a different protein.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Everyone gets gross 'protein breath' from protein shakes, just the way it is.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    It makes my *kitten* make some strange and long noises son

Swag
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Plaque/tarter buildup on your teeth is common with protein shakes. I have found 1 shake per day isn't too bad, but the tartar forms rapidly with multiple shakes per day. You can buy a dental scaler at any pharmacy to keep your smile nice between cleanings at the dentist.
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Plaque/tarter buildup on your teeth is common with protein shakes. I have found 1 shake per day isn't too bad, but the tartar forms rapidly with multiple shakes per day. You can buy a dental scaler at any pharmacy to keep your smile nice between cleanings at the dentist.

Dental scaler... I may have to look it up but I will check it out! Thanks
  • Kalah7Renae12Vera
    Kalah7Renae12Vera Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    As far as changing protein formulas, there's only a select few I can choose from as mine have to be meal replacement shakes. if anyone knows of any that are good for WLS and low in calories I am open to suggestions
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    As far as changing protein formulas, there's only a select few I can choose from as mine have to be meal replacement shakes. if anyone knows of any that are good for WLS and low in calories I am open to suggestions

You need to stick with what your bariatric surgeon and team have suggested.

You are going to have the same problem no matter what you use, it is one of the issues with protein shakes.
  • katolack
    Options
    I just started drinking protein shakes in prep for WLS and my teeth feel disgusting! I've tried several different brands and they all have a similar effect. I have found it somewhat helpful to brush my teeth immediately after drinking, but I still don't feel like they're as clean as they were before I started this diet. I've never heard of a dental scaler, but I'll be looking for one next time I'm at the drug store!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    ...I drink a protein shake everyday and this has NEVER happened to me. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the kind you have.