Under by 1493 calories

Options

Replies

• starjumper12
    Options
    it happens sometimes. i wasn't feeling too hot yesterday afternoon when i came home and was out during the lunch-ish time, and i had a hard exercise session in the morning, so ended up with very few net calories by the end of the day. don't be too hard on yourself, i planned out a full day of food AND snacks for today to get back in gear - i know i need my energy for the early morning workouts!
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Confused...how is it 7pm if you live in SC? I'm on the east coast and it's 2:22pm at the moment...
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    Confused...how is it 7pm if you live in SC? I'm on the east coast and it's 2:22pm at the moment...

I live in Scotland...
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with an occasional fast. That's basically what being that far under is. Just don't string together days like this. You're already at a deficit by hitting your calorie goal.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat after 7pm so I don't feel stodgy when I go to bed but I'll take cmriverside's advice and have some toast when I get home.

Try eating some real food like fruit or something with more protein. Basically anything that isn't a bunch of highly processed carbs. You might find that you feel better when you go to bed then. Even chocolate has more health benefits than toast.

Keep in mind that if you don't get adequate protein while dieting, your body will burn off lots of muscle along with the fat which isn't good! So make sure to get plenty of protein while you're losing weight. I doubt you're getting enough protein if you're under your caloric goals by almost 1500 calories!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotland and it's 7.15pm

Well that makes A LOT more sense. Well yeah, if it's just one day, then you will be fine. Just try not to do it real often.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning your meals and even if you didn't eat back your exercise calories you'd be in much better shape...54 calorie soup for lunch? Come on now?

BTW, I lost 44 pounds eating after 7 because I planned what I was going to eat all day and reserved calories for a snack before bed, which makes it so I don't want to eat the soap in the shower when I wake up...LOL :laugh:
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Your not even eating enough to go to bed! Your body burns 1200 calories just in 8 hours of sleep! So you need to eat more. . I don't always eat all of my calories, i don't even log my food, but.. I calculate EVERY bite of food i put in my mouth. Its 230 pm, and i have eaten 925 calories already, I'm allowed 1700 a day. . So i leave room for my nightly Greek yogurt! (yum!!) Any way.. Just take in more calories during the day.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat after 7pm. I get home from work at 5:30 at the earliest, but usually around 6pm. Then if I run, I don't start making dinner till 7pm...which puts dinner anywhere from 7:30-8:30pm. Definitely better to watch your nutrition and not the clock. Something light and healthy shouldn't make you feel like crap. For instance, last night I had a bedtime snack of grapes in greek yogurt with pecans. It was my end of the treat after a great exercise day.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Wow..... Not everyone is American. This is the second post that has assumed that. You know what they say about when you ASSume stuff. :-)
  • Psychoanalytic
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie is a calorie.... no matter what time of day or night it is.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're pretty new on MFP... It can be exciting at the begining when you're getting a new routine going and looking forward to seeing some results really soon. That makes it easy to over-do things like cutting back too far on calories. I'm glad you are logging your food! That is a huge first step! Maybe start looking at your food diary and see if you see any patterns. Are you eating too little early on in the day? Are you having a balanced mix of foods? I didn't see much in the way of fruits or veggies in there (I don't count tomato soup as a veggie since its so processed).
    Thinking logically about the things your body needs to function just on a basic level, do you think that a meal which consists of only one packed of tomato soup would fuel you for several hours till the next meal?
    I think you are going to find that the routine you are currently on is not going to be sustainable. You can and will lose weight if you eat at the calorie level given by MFP. Maybe you could also check out the diaries of some of the people posting on this thread for some ideas. Feel free to send me a friend request. I'm far from perfect (I eat ice cream way too often!), but willing to help and give honest oppinions.
    Good Luck!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Wow..... Not everyone is American. This is the second post that has assumed that. You know what they say about when you ASSume stuff. :-)

My clue that she didn't live in SC was all the Tesco stuff. :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to eat if you're hungry, even if it's late, or don't eat if you're not. Don't stress over whether you have extra calories remaining. You can always eat them tomorrow or even a few days from now, and you won't die of starvation if you never make them up. I don't know why everyone makes this so complicated.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    First off, your profile says you are in South Carolina (unless I'm reading that wrong). You've got 5 hours until 7pm. Secondly, it does not matter when you consume food. Your body doesn't recognize time... only your mind does. Thirdly, you should always make an effort to eat at your calorie goal at least, and try to make those calories protein-filled. Eating under one day won't hurt you, but this timing thing isn't a very good excuse for it.

Be prepared to get the verbal lashing from this community. Don't take it too personally though. They are just looking out for your best interests.

I'm guessing by the Tesco and Hovis entries, that she's in Falkirk, Scotland. So yeah, 7pm makes sense.

OP - Thank you for having an open diary. It helps, especially with posts like this. Sometimes I forget to eat, but from the looks of it, based on what you've logged so far, I'm going to guess that you're not eating enough or not eating enough of the right things on a regular basis.

If you're afraid to eat (because you're trying to lose weight) not eating enough is probably NOT going to help you reach your goal. If you're like some of the rest of us, you go a few days of not eating enough and the next think you know, you have a crap day, you're elbow deep into a bag of crisps, the Hobnobs are gone, and you're doing straight shots of Ribena (or whatever your vices are).

Your body needs a certain amount of fuel to function and to physically get you from point A to point B. Not giving it enough fuel isn't going to facilitate getting you where you need to go and if it does, it's probably not going to be a smooth ride.

I'm not sure about the whole "Starvation mode" argument, but from a physiological point of view, your body does need food at regular intervals in order to regulate your blood sugar and insulin levels. Not eating enough doesn't do your body any favors.

I think you're right in having a piece of toast when you get home. Maybe put a piece of cheese on it too. ;)
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I looked over your diary, and it looks like under-eating is the rule rather than the exception. Please don't go down this path. Eat more early in the day if your rule is no eating after 7 PM. I understand that - my rule is no eating between meals, ever, and save 100-200 extra calories for dinner and a bedtime snack. I'm more interested in eating later in the day rather than earlier.

Best wishes to you!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough calories during the day.

Your breakfast should be around 350, so your lunch and dinner

Your snacks should be 75-120 calories

less than 500 calories is not enough for your brain to function sweety this is serious....you should be consuming at least 1200 calories per day otherwise your organs are not getting enough calories to function. They will start utilizing other parts of your body to function...not fat, they will utilize bone and hair, etc. Please eat more
  • healthymebetterme
    Options
    SyntonicGarde - Thanks for your comments.

I thought an open diary would be the best way to go about this as other people can read it and help or shout at me...

It's not even that I'm afraid to eat, I was at college today 11-4 and din't have anything to make for lunch or any money to buy something but by the time I got home I only really fancied a cupasoup till I got the the other halves house.

I'll definitely be planning my days better so I know when and what I'll be eating!

I'll be putting some peanut butter on it! :)
  • purrywinkle
    Options
    Wow... you should really watch your sodium intake.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    wow. Eat something.... This isn't healthy.

^^^^^^ THIS....eat now!!!!