How bad is this breakfast?

Options

Replies

• ChublessBunny
    ChublessBunny Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian, I eat Morningstar Farms products often. I make a breakfast sandwich similar to this several times a week. The only difference is that I use a whole wheat english muffin and two egg whites...makes it a bit healthier.
  • Does it fit in your cals/macros?

Yes = it's good
    No = it's bad

falls into my cals...not sure what macros is though.

Macros are protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll point out that McD's Sausage McMuffin with Egg is 450 calories, and that's a single egg on an english muffin. Double your egg intake and add that roll, and you are possibly adding up to 200 calories to this total, so instead of 470, you might be going all the way up to 600+. It's risky to guestimate sometimes. Have you tried the Jimmy Dean D'lights? Frozen premade sandwhiches, most of which are under the 300 calorie mark and pretty darn tasty, and portable, if you have a microwave at work.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Not bad; but why not cut out one egg and add some fruit or don't but add a tomato slice to the sandwich to make it a more balanced breakfast...it's lacking "LIVE" food.
  • muffle1969
    muffle1969 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Farms makes a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit which is really good. I don't like the bacon version much, but their veggie sausage is really good. It is 270 calories, and thaws/heats in the microwave in 45-52 seconds. I bring them to my office and eat one for breakfast when I get here about 2-3 mornings a week.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'll point out that McD's Sausage McMuffin with Egg is 450 calories, and that's a single egg on an english muffin. Double your egg intake and add that roll, and you are possibly adding up to 200 calories to this total, so instead of 470, you might be going all the way up to 600+. It's risky to guestimate sometimes. Have you tried the Jimmy Dean D'lights? Frozen premade sandwhiches, most of which are under the 300 calorie mark and pretty darn tasty, and portable, if you have a microwave at work.

These are premade so I have no choice in what's on it...but if i make myself I just have the turkey bacon that's 35 calories a slice.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me sad, swiss on a egg and sausage sandwich, veggie sausages, turkey bacon!?

A breakfast sandwich is not unlike any other sandwich, start with high quality bread, then use quality, well thought out ingredients that work together on the sandwich. In no reality is veggie sausage or turkey bacon a quality ingredient and they don't belong on any sandwich
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    If your macros end up ok at the end of the day don't sweat it! If your losing don't worry about it, if you stop... Have a look at it! X
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

These are premade so I have no choice in what's on it...but if i make myself I just have the turkey bacon that's 35 calories a slice.

I actually quite like the turkey bacon x
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

You could try making something the night before if you are pressed for time. I hate mornings, but have a few emergency 'grab and go' options that are decent. Starbucks ham and egg sandwiches are good, well most of their morning sandwiches are pretty decent. Honestly in the world of breakfast food, ham and bacon will ALWAYS trump sausage.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Farms makes a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit which is really good. I don't like the bacon version much, but their veggie sausage is really good. It is 270 calories, and thaws/heats in the microwave in 45-52 seconds. I bring them to my office and eat one for breakfast when I get here about 2-3 mornings a week.

Jimmy Dean makes something similar that I keep on hand for times when I'm out of real/good stuff.
  • nmkb
    nmkb Posts: 2
    Options
    Try making these. web site is
    http://www.neatpins.com/2012/03/breakfast-omelette-muffins.html

They can be frozen, but in our house they don't last that long. Also, I make them with egg whites mostly and you
    can add any ingredients you want really. This is just a base recipe. Make them in the evening and throw them in the fridge, then nuke them for a couple of secs and you're off!

Breakfast Omelette muffins

Ingredients
    1 pound Italian Sausage (sweet, mild, hot variety depending on your preference)
    1 cup broccoli florets (or other veggie)
    8 large eggs
    1/4 cup milk (or half and half depending on how you're feeling that day)
    1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese as needed

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
    2. In a large saute pan, over medium high heat, brown Italian Sausage for about 5 minutes, or until the sausage is no longer pink. Remove from heat and stir in broccoli.
    3. Whisk together eggs, milk, oil and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper.
    4. Lightly spray a 12-cupcake pan with oil.Spoon out the sausage and broccoli mixture evenly into each cupcake.
    5. Ladle the egg mixture over sausage and broccoli.
    6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    7. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

You'll want more than one! I personally recommend the pan linked above, extremely easy to clean and no stick whatsoever.
  • Technut
    Technut Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Obviously making your own breakfast sandwich and controlling the ingredients is the better choice.
    But, If you HAVE to stop for a "Fast Food" breakfast sandwich try the Breakfast Jack at Jack in The Box.

Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size 1 sandwich (125.0 g)
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 290
    Calories from Fat 108
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 12.0g 18%
    Saturated Fat 4.5g 23%
    Cholesterol 220mg 73%
    Sodium 760mg 32%
    Total Carbohydrates 29.0g 10%
    Dietary Fiber 1.0g 4%
    Sugars 4.0g
    Protein 17.0g
    * Based on a 2000 calorie diet

And it's only $0.99 +tax...
  • Pelly57
    Pelly57 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    When my hubby was working I would make up a weeks worth of breakfast sands at a time on Sunday morning. Stack them all but one back into the english muffin bag and he would take them to work with him. Leave them in the fridge at work to warm up one per day. They kept fine for the week. You could make up a stack and take them to your brothers.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Its alright depending on if you feel stretched for calories the rest of the day...
    also it might be better if you brought an apple or something along for the ride ;)
  • vice350z
    Options
    well now that I think about it...yeah, its probably closer to 600 calories for a darn sandwich. One piece of bread is usually 80-100 calories..i don't think a roll is only 170..and then the sausage.

I ended up going grocery shoping tonight and getting my lower cal breakfast stuff while away at my bro's during the week. I'll save money and know exactly how many calories i'm eating. It comes out to about 300 calories.
  • vice350z
    Options

I actually quite like the turkey bacon x

Pam olive oil in a skillet and turkey bacon crisped up...is friggin good!!!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Its not great, but not going to hurt to have it occasionally, especially if it fits in your macros. I have ate some rubbishy food as well today, but hey at least our food had decent protein and fit in our macros :)
  • vice350z
    Options
    This thread makes me sad, swiss on a egg and sausage sandwich, veggie sausages, turkey bacon!?

A breakfast sandwich is not unlike any other sandwich, start with high quality bread, then use quality, well thought out ingredients that work together on the sandwich. In no reality is veggie sausage or turkey bacon a quality ingredient and they don't belong on any sandwich

looking at your pic I'll assume you know what your'e talking about. I just read "low calorie" and think its good. How is turkey bacon bad at only 35 calories for one lil ol' slice?
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

looking at your pic I'll assume you know what your'e talking about. I just read "low calorie" and think its good. How is turkey bacon bad at only 35 calories for one lil ol' slice?
    Can't get turkey bacon here, but I would guess at mega high sodium. Not to mention a poor substitute for real bacon ;)