HOW do I plan a workout schedule

Options
I saw a previous forum about how far people plan their work out schedule. But how exactly do you know what to do? I'm starting to get into the fitness and I dont know where to start or how to begin to see what I can handle then plan from there.
I want to thin up and tone up. I have about 50-60 lbs I would LOVE to lose and am doing okay tracking and staying wtih my food plan on here but now its time to kick up the exercise to enhace my weight loss.
If anyone has any advice or would be willing to help me plan a work out for a week, or a month message me! I could use the help!

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Not knowing how to plan a schedule is a good indication that you need to start with a proven program. What type of program you chose depends on what you want your focus to be.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should look to do a full body strength training routine 3 x a week and if you want, cardio 2 or 3 x a week.

Look into Starting Strength, Stronglifts or New Rules of Lifting if you have access to weights.
  • leblanc_kelly88
    leblanc_kelly88 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I will have access to weights at my gym. I just never know exactly what to do when I am there and how long I should do things.
    I will look into those! The starting strength things I have found already look like they have a good amount of information! thank you!
  • leblanc_kelly88
    leblanc_kelly88 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What kind of proven program may you be referring to Fire?
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    look for 5x5 strong lift for example?

or New Rules of Lifting for Women?

Coutch 2 5k?

30 day shred (or any of Jillian Michaels dvds)

Turbofire? Beach body.. :) or look through the forums and see what names pop up most often
  • GetDemGainz
    Options
    It all depends what your goals are. I'm new too. If you want to lose weight and build strength than I suggest 3 days a week weight training (broken down into body parts). I also do cardio (treadmill) every night but I am more focused on weight loss than anything right now. Good luck.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    If you are a true novice it would probably be worthwhile to meet with a trainer, even if only to say "this is the program I want to do, please walk me through proper form on these exercises."
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I saw a previous forum about how far people plan their work out schedule. But how exactly do you know what to do? I'm starting to get into the fitness and I dont know where to start or how to begin to see what I can handle then plan from there.
    I want to thin up and tone up. I have about 50-60 lbs I would LOVE to lose and am doing okay tracking and staying wtih my food plan on here but now its time to kick up the exercise to enhace my weight loss.
    If anyone has any advice or would be willing to help me plan a work out for a week, or a month message me! I could use the help!

You should start slow (and talk to your doctor if you think you might have restrictions). If you think you want to join a gym, some of them will offer one free personal training session to new members where they will show you the equipment and answer questions. I wouldn't hesitate to ask for help when you use a machine for the first time even outside of a personal training session either.

Over the course of a month I have worked up to strength 3x a week (but it gets my heart rate up--kind of like circuits) and cardio 2x a week. I do yoga (either yin or moderate-paced flow) once a week and rest once a week. That seems to be the right mix for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for me i determine what my #1 fitness priority is going to be for that week or month and then take it from there.

so for instance, since priority is strength training and muscle retention, i start with a foundation of strength training using compound lifts 3 days a week. the other 6 days i think about rest and other workouts that are going to complement the main focus but not have an negative impact on it. so on those days (if my priority is strength) the other workouts will be non-HIIT cardio training, some type of active rest or yoga.

i also find it's good (for me at least) to switch up my priorities. every now and then
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    There are three ways to go:
    1) Buy a pre-made program
    2) Work with a coach/trainer to develop a custom plan for your needs
    3) Buy a stack of books and set aside months to learn all the concepts behind fitness, weight loss, and physiology

I've done all three... and I would recommend #1 for most normal people.