Fiber powder without increased gas???

Options
I am ahving some "tummy issues' from lack of fiber in my diet and want to add a fiber powder in my morning smoothie- but I am concerned about having excess gas from the fiber.

Can anyone recommend a brand of fiber powder that won't add a nasty taste to my smoothie or cause excessive gas? :blushing:

Thank you!

forgot to add:

I'm currently trying to get pregnant and am considered high risk, so I can't take anything that is even close to being considered a laxitive... :noway:

another response:

I eat a ton of fruits and veggies-

My issues are beyond diet related- I am/have been on a TON of fertility medications which have messed up my hormones causing the constipation. I drink at least 3 servings of high fiber V-8 and/or eat 2-3 servings of prunes (one of the other) daily and still no help!

Adding fiber powder to my diet is the latest recommendation of my doctors, they just didnt say which kind and how to avoid excess gas!

Replies

• peanutbutterpretzels
    Options
    Not really a fiber powder but I take miralax :) you might want to look into it.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I should have mentioned in my original post- I'm currently trying to get pregnant and am considered high risk, so I can't take anything that is even close to being considered a laxitive-
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I would start with eating more fruit and vegetables.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruits and veggies-

My issues are beyond diet related- I am/have been on a TON of fertility medications which have messed up my hormones causing the constipation. I drink at least 3 servings of high fiber V-8 and/or eat 2-3 servings of prunes (one of the other) daily and still no help!

Adding fiber powder to my diet is the latest recommendation of my doctors, they just didnt say which kind!
  • guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try some Metimucil (orange can) (walmart, kmart, even the grocery store) Start with one serving a day, and you can go up from there? When you look it up on here it lists it as a fiber/laxitive, but it has alot of 'bulking' action. There is a sugar free version, but it tastes like crap. The fully leaded stuff is only 45 calories anyways. And the hormones will screw up your digestion. :flowerforyou:
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking a probiotic for my ibs and for the first time in about 20 yrs got a little constipated. I took some fiber, without bothering to research it, and boy did I regret it. Since then I researched the topic, and the two brands of fiber that reportedly have much less gas as a side effect are Citrucel and Fiber Con.
    Mike