Appetite suppressant

Options
Does anyone have any tips for food to eat that helps suppress appetite? Or any supplement they have taken that works?

Its not that im actually hungry...I just get horrible cravings usually after dinner. I do great eating healthy all day then 7 or 8 at night the cravings hit, and hard! Alot of times I just give in, but I cant do that anymore!

I dont keep junk in the house (cookies, cake etc...) but there are things like frozen fries bread and lunchmeat etc because my husband has to have stuff to eat and he doesnt need to diet. So ill just snack on those things! Like last night I made a ham sandwich loaded with cheese and mayo! And its not really what I want (I crave sweets the most...which is why I dont keep cookies etc in the house) so the craving stays which leads me to keep eating until I find something...anything that will help the craving go away! Even if I did have cookes in the house...Some people say just eat one...its moderation etc...I cant. I have a problem with controling my portion when it comes to sweets...I cant eat just one, one bag maybe! lol

Ive tried apples, gum, brushing my teeth, even drinking large amounts of water to fill me up...none of that works. There has got to be something out there to help!

Anyone have any insight WHY I crave like this???

Replies

• SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    You don't need an appetite suppressant. You need to get to the root of WHY you feel the need to eat if you're not even hungry. Could it be stress, boredom, etc?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • PibblesRun
    PibblesRun Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I dotn know why...not bored, its not stress eating etc. Im perfectly content and happy at night.

I eat 1200 a day. Which is what MFP reccomended for me to lose 1 1/2 lbs a week. I have a sedentary lifestyle since im a stay at home mom.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Do you use diet versions of drinks or artificially sweetened things?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Save some of your calories for after dinner. Also if you go to 1,300 you will not gain weight.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    Do you use diet versions of drinks or artificially sweetened things?

Nope...A few months back after reading an article on here about splenda I cut it out completley! Scared me LOL...So I havent been using artificial sweeteners for a few months now. And I did get rid of all my "low fat" "Light" "low sugar" things because they all contain artificial sweeteners.

I have mostly started eating all unprocessed foods. Accept things like yogurt, almond milk, oats etc...that I cant make at home. I eat alot of veggies, ill have a salad most days with lots of spinach romaine grilled chicken etc...at least 2 servings of veggies with dinner I even scramble eggs with onions and peppers some mornings or have oatmeal made with almond milk and fresh fruit in it.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    up your calories, set your goal to 1lb or 1/2lb per week
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    You have a baby are you breastfeeding?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I read in a book once that if you are sitting and watching tv in the evening (which is common for most people), you get cravings because of all of the tv commercials promoting McDonalds and COKE and PEPSI and LAYS CHIPS and just junk food. Sometimes we don't even notice how many of these commercials are towards food, but it is quite surprising if you ever keep track one of these evenings. Be more conscious of it....avoid it too.

If you don't watch tv in the evening - disregard everything I have just said.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    No im not breastfeeding. Shes almost 9 months. I did for afew months but had alot of trouble so went to formula
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i take two green tea extract capsules per day and it helps me. but it seems like you're not taking in enough calories to begin with. 1200 is the bare minimum. i think you may need to up your calories a bit and move your goals around.

are you tracking your fiber and protein intake? fiber is very filling and protein will usually help you feel fuller faster.

also, not sure how many carbs you're taking in but if it's a fairly high amount, that could cause you to have cravings more often. carbs are a killer for me!
  • rickybluntjr
    rickybluntjr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same cravings. I started taking a fiber supplement called Konjac Root (Glucommanan). I take it 30 - 60 minutes before I eat and now I get full off of less food and no more cravigs in between meals. It works for me. Most vitamin stores have it.
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    I read in a book once that if you are sitting and watching tv in the evening (which is common for most people), you get cravings because of all of the tv commercials promoting McDonalds and COKE and PEPSI and LAYS CHIPS and just junk food. Sometimes we don't even notice how many of these commercials are towards food, but it is quite surprising if you ever keep track one of these evenings. Be more conscious of it....avoid it too.

If you don't watch tv in the evening - disregard everything I have just said.

LOL...Yes I watch tv in the evenings. but not until...around 7 or 8. UMM Hmmm...I think you might have hit something there! i dont watch tv at all, all day. Dont want my girl raised in front of a tv so its always off. Until my husband comes home that is...and im busy cooking dinner etc then when I finally sit down after my girl has gone to bed and watch tv with my husband I start craving!

I do notice how many food commercials there are...my husband likes to say ohhh pizza, mmm tacos, ohhh fried chicken! LOL Alot of times he turns the channel as soon as commercials come on though...but maybe the few I do see are the cause! I will have to NOT watch tv tonight and see how that works!
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    i take two green tea extract capsules per day and it helps me. but it seems like you're not taking in enough calories to begin with. 1200 is the bare minimum. i think you may need to up your calories a bit and move your goals around.

are you tracking your fiber and protein intake? fiber is very filling and protein will usually help you feel fuller faster.

also, not sure how many carbs you're taking in but if it's a fairly high amount, that could cause you to have cravings more often. carbs are a killer for me!

Yes I track those...I always get double the amount of fiber and at least 100g of protein. Carbs I try to stay around 80-100 and I never eat carb foods with dinner like potatoes rice etc, I eat all my carbs for breakfast lunch and snacks. I eat heathy snacks in between meals too. My dinner is 1/3 protien adn 2/3 fresh veggies
  • desiree7hanson
    desiree7hanson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you aren't making your meals very satisfying. You should be eating 3-4 food groups each meal between 250-400 calories each, otherwise you might not be fully satisfied at night.

It sounds like you are eating out of habit. My problem is munching when sitting in front of the TV. If that is your problem, limit your TV time. I have my snack calories, and when I'm done, I shut off the TV.

Things I do to satisfy when I have no more calories-take a bath, drink hot tea, go to bed. It's all about learning what you can do to keep your mind off of food. If you aren't hungry, then you just need to break the habit. When you get the trigger, start doing something else instead of eating. After a little while, your body will adjust, and your cravings should lessen. SELF CONTROL is the main key-you really want this, so you can do it!!! Good luck!
  • PibblesRun
    Options
    I had the same cravings. I started taking a fiber supplement called Konjac Root (Glucommanan). I take it 30 - 60 minutes before I eat and now I get full off of less food and no more cravigs in between meals. It works for me. Most vitamin stores have it.

I have heard about that recently...was wondering if it acutally did what it claimed because ive tried alot of things that dont do what they claim!
  • canadakim17
    canadakim17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought some de-caf sleepy time tea...works for me!
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Definitely might ask yourself the "why" question. There are reasons for our behaviour. I understand as once upon a time, I ate after dinner and the choices for me were not that great. I found that I just liked comfort food and TV. So, I turned the TV off and spent more time with my dear wife. There were other "issues"...but that's for me to know.

Just a thought and good luck!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I do think that, over time, your self control kicks in, and you will decided not to do it.
    Doing other things, such as getting ready for the next day, is also a good idea.
    I like a hot drink at night, usually tea sweetened with stevia.
    I have used the appetite suppressant hoodia herb extract, and that worked! The brand I used was Source Naturals. I have read that not all brands have the active ingredient in it.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tips for food to eat that helps suppress appetite? Or any supplement they have taken that works?

Its not that im actually hungry...I just get horrible cravings usually after dinner. I do great eating healthy all day then 7 or 8 at night the cravings hit, and hard! Alot of times I just give in, but I cant do that anymore!

I dont keep junk in the house (cookies, cake etc...) but there are things like frozen fries bread and lunchmeat etc because my husband has to have stuff to eat and he doesnt need to diet. So ill just snack on those things! Like last night I made a ham sandwich loaded with cheese and mayo! And its not really what I want (I crave sweets the most...which is why I dont keep cookies etc in the house) so the craving stays which leads me to keep eating until I find something...anything that will help the craving go away! Even if I did have cookes in the house...Some people say just eat one...its moderation etc...I cant. I have a problem with controling my portion when it comes to sweets...I cant eat just one, one bag maybe! lol

Ive tried apples, gum, brushing my teeth, even drinking large amounts of water to fill me up...none of that works. There has got to be something out there to help!

Anyone have any insight WHY I crave like this???

I don't see how a stay at home Mom who's caring for an infant is sedentary. Sedentary involves sitting around 8hrs a day. I'd reevaluate that. Anyway, I can relate to wanting to eat because of a craving you can't satisfy. I'd recommend leaving a little room in your calorie budget for some evening snacking, and keeping things like Smart Pop (or other light popcorn) and very dark chocolate on hand. 1200 is very low to be living on, and I'd raise that if I were you. You need this to be a lifestyle change you can live with.