Do foam rollers work

Options
13»

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I dont use the rollers, I use a Morfam Massager with variable speeds. This thing will light you up. It's powerful and gets deep into the muscle and stimulates the blood flow to the point that you get an insatiable itch if you use in one place too long.

I use it before and after running and I have yet to have strains or pulls. (I dont have to stretch) It will reduce a knotted muscle to jello.

It also takes care of painful shin splints. For those not familiar, shin splints are inflammation where the tendon attaches to the shin bone; and because of the lack of adequate blood supply, it takes forever to heal.

I also use the Morfam on calves, thighs, quads, hams and it does great on loosening up my Achilles.

When doing my calves and Achilles I sit on the floor and turn the massager upside down and lay my leg on top. It beats a roller by a hundred miles.

I dont see too many of these massagers with variable speed, though I highly recommend that feature.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Massage-/36447/i.html?_nkw=morfam+massager
    I use a rolling pin on my achilles and shins.

GAWD! A hard rolling pin on shin splints? You must be a masochist. I cringe just thinking about it. LOL
    It feels wonderful! In a terrible, painful way.

I am afraid of ladies who say that. Im a sissy and pain makes me cry. LOL Dont ever think of touching my shins!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love my rumble roller. My wife uses the blue one and I use the black one. The black is firmer and gets in a little deeper. I swear by it. Especially when work out two or three times a day.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! They work.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As a method of self-induced torture to help loosen up tight muscles: yes.

I use mine after every run (missed 6 weeks of running last year with ITBS, I don't want to repeat that ever.....)
  • childrenrus
    childrenrus Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    As a method of self-induced torture to help loosen up tight muscles: yes.

I use mine after every run (missed 6 weeks of running last year with ITBS, I don't want to repeat that ever.....)

The foam roller is the only thing that helps with my ITBS! I do the other stretches and strength training my PT recommended, but the foam roller is amazing.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered the rumble roller...but in blue, because my husband is going to use it too (he is a bit of a baby) and I want it primarily for my teres major...I hope I didn't make a mistake, seems like everyone here is raving about the black.

I've got a black RR. It's a good hardness for me. Normal foam rollers do nothing for me anymore so I upgraded to PVC pipe also. Some things the RR is better for ie. shoulder blades whereas a hard PVC pipe is still the best for legs IMO.
    I saw the picture, and I must say I have never seen this roller. Can someone give me a little bit more info. My current roller is good, though I have though about moving up to the PVC pipe. Is this roller a better option?
  • KatLifter
    Options
    I went ahead and ordered the rumble roller...but in blue, because my husband is going to use it too (he is a bit of a baby) and I want it primarily for my teres major...I hope I didn't make a mistake, seems like everyone here is raving about the black.

I've got a black RR. It's a good hardness for me. Normal foam rollers do nothing for me anymore so I upgraded to PVC pipe also. Some things the RR is better for ie. shoulder blades whereas a hard PVC pipe is still the best for legs IMO.
    I saw the picture, and I must say I have never seen this roller. Can someone give me a little bit more info. My current roller is good, though I have though about moving up to the PVC pipe. Is this roller a better option?

Check out The Stick. It was also recommended to my by my PT. My sister, the marathon runner, swears by it. https://www.thestick.com/
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have a regular white foam roller and the small version of The Stick. I use the foam roller more to open up my T-spine and lumbar regions. I use The Stick for massage. I love using it on my neck, calves, quads, IT bands, even my feet. I'd really need a longer one for shoulders, but the small one allows me to take when I travel. It fits easily in my suitcase. I also use a tennis ball for my glutes/piriformis. Now that's brutal.

I'm thinking of giving the Rumble Roller a try. I find the price to be pretty nauseating, considering my other foam roller was less than $20, but at least it's just a one-time cost. It's been recommended to me a number of times because I have trigger points between my shoulder blades that a normal foam roller just can't do much for.

I also think deep-tissue massage is pretty critical to muscle and joint health, but I realize for some this has to be considered a luxury and not a regular expense.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    I have a regular white foam roller and the small version of The Stick. I use the foam roller more to open up my T-spine and lumbar regions. I use The Stick for massage. I love using it on my neck, calves, quads, IT bands, even my feet. I'd really need a longer one for shoulders, but the small one allows me to take when I travel. It fits easily in my suitcase. I also use a tennis ball for my glutes/piriformis. Now that's brutal.

I'm thinking of giving the Rumble Roller a try. I find the price to be pretty nauseating, considering my other foam roller was less than $20, but at least it's just a one-time cost. It's been recommended to me a number of times because I have trigger points between my shoulder blades that a normal foam roller just can't do much for.

I also think deep-tissue massage is pretty critical to muscle and joint health, but I realize for some this has to be considered a luxury and not a regular expense.

Check this out, http://www.amazon.com/BLACK-ROLLER-DEEP-TISSUE-MASSAGE/dp/B008NEFDK2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353441146&sr=8-2&keywords=rumble+roller
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    After running the warrior dash on a saturday and a 5K on sunday (the next day) I woke up Monday unable to walk without wanting to scream because my IT bands were pulled so tight I could grab some arrows and literally shoot from the hip.

2 days of ABSOLUTE HERE'S THE MICROFILM TOTURE with the foam roller Before work, after work and before bed and I was completely OK. I still use it after runs but it's definately a matter of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I prefer a good massage any day over those things!
    Well, yeah... but the foam roller is cheaper and you can do it by yourself ;-)