Meal Plan and Weight Lifting Advice for Female

Options
Hello Everyone,

I am a 5 foot, 23-year old female weighing at about 103 pounds. I've already lost 8 pounds and am now at my goal weight. I don't want to lose anymore weight. I want to gain muscle! I've been lifting weights here and there for the last 5 years, but only started really getting into it when I did the whole P90X program recently.

My question is, now that I want to focus on muscle gain, what should my diet be like? I've done a lot of researching online and what I found from a few sites is that my macro nutrients should be around 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% Fat. Does that sound about right? What I have also found is that I must consume 1gram of protein for every pound that I weigh. With the previously mentioned macro nutrient goals, a daily diet of 40% Protein is 120 grams, so if I follow that, I will be consuming more than enough protein.

As for exercise, I weight lift 3 times a week and run on the treadmill 3 times a week on my off days. I have upped my miles on the treadmill and do interval training 3 times a week during a 5 mile run. Since I am aiming at muscle gain, should I lift 5-6 times a week (of course not working the same muscle groups within 48 hours) and focus less on the cardio? Also, should I lift heavier and aim at 8-10 reps instead of lifting lighter and doing 12-15 reps?

I would really appreciate any advice. I've researched so much online, but most sites want you to pay up if you want more specifics! Thanks in advance to everyone who responds.

-Raneeza

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Eat at a slight surplus over your TDEE to actually gain muscle. I wouldn't worry about %ages for macros. Whole numbers make more sense to me. 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (minimum) .3 to .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight (minimum) the rest whatever you want - is a good basic guideline.

You can still make great gains lifting 3 days per week. Start out with a good beginners' program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Eat at a slight surplus over your TDEE to actually gain muscle. I wouldn't worry about %ages for macros. Whole numbers make more sense to me. 1 gram of protein per pound of LBM (minimum) .3 to .5 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight (minimum) the rest whatever you want - is a good basic guideline.

You can still make great gains lifting 3 days per week. Start out with a good beginners' program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

^This, plus I would decrease the cardio of your goal is muscle gain, rather than increasing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this is good advice
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

^^this is good advice

+1 Yep cant go wrong with that advice.