I NEED HELP!

Options
So I started this journey a little less than a year ago. The bad news is that I've only lost 27 lbs. The good news is that I've kept it off! But, I need some help, advice, a kick in the *kitten*- whatever!

I go to the gym between 4 and 6 days a week depending on the kids schedule. I am there for about an hour and a half. I do an hour of cardio and half hour of weights. I do mix things up. I change from the elliptical to the bike to the treadmill. And, I play around with the weights and reps. I've heard not letting your workout get repetative is something you should do. (So that's what I am trying to accomplish with that).

I eat within my calories. I have learned to take smaller portions and pick healthier choices.

I do have somewhat of a stressful life now. (But who doesn't? So I try and not let that interfere but...) My marriage is very rocky (on the verge of a divorce- weight is a big issue), don't get a lot of help from husband with kdis because of his job and because of the lovely economy my school might be closing, so there goes my job!

I have been at this plateau (or however you spell it. I'm a horrible speller by the way!) for about 3 months. I'be tried to change my calories, workout more, workout less, stop all together for a week then start again. Nothing is working. I've even gone to the doc to see if there's anything medically wrong (I do have a blood disease).

Lie to me and say that things will start to change soon. Because, I can't take this much longer. Any advice??? Please

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    There is no bad news in this post...give yourself credit. Keeping it off is harder than losing it...take your left hand and pat yourself on your right shoulder...Good Job.

1 foot in front of the other, plus if you keep going at that pace you will lose another 27 this year and that is 54 lbs...see you are doing it just slower.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I have lost 42 lbs and 44.5 inches in FOUR months on a program called Food Lovers. You can go to foodlovers.com and check it out. I eat every 2 to 3 hours, cook the food differently and eat according to the nutritional portions allowed. I have so much more energy and go to the gym every day. This website is great for tracking what you are doing but it doesn't actually give you a plan which it sounds like you need. I started at 294 and am down to 252 and my end goal is 140. I've consistently lost 2 to 5 lbs every week since I started and am hoping to get my goal by the end of the year.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    First of all: Congrats on keeping the weight off in such a stressful time in your life! That in itself is a big accomplishment.

I don't know what your intake and output of calories is in an average day. In order to keep loosing the weight you still have to manage a calorie deficit (you may have met your match in poor spelling....) in order to continue to loose weight. For about 4 weeks or so try taking in around 1200-1500 (never go under 1200) calories daily and really focus on eating enough fruits and veggies. With this low amount of calories you don't really have room to eat junk food so go for nutrient dense food and take a multivitamin. Have one meal weekly where you can eat whatever you want to keep your sanity :)

On your cardio - increase the incline and resistance on the elliptical for a more difficult workout. Treadmill: walk on a steep incline. You don't need to do a hard workout everyday.... have 3 good hard workout days, and an easy mercy day when you need one. Take a couple of recovery days off.

Hope this jumpstart gives you some results :)
  • sillysallyf
    sillysallyf Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Losing 27 lbs is better than losing none. You are still winning this battle. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will eventually accomplish your goal. There is nothing wrong with losing the weight in a slow pace. As long as they are coming off.. that is my opinion. Like ckmama said give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it. You can do this.

I am sorry to hear about your relationship with your husband.
  • badkittee76
    Options
    Like ckmama said, it sounds like you've done well. Just at a slower pace then you would probably like. One thing I would suggest if you're going to the gym, is to take a couple of those aerobic classes once or twice a week. I noticed my heart rate went up and I sweat a little more doing the Boot Camp Conditioning at my gym rather than an hour on the elliptical and some weight training. It seems like even though I cycled through the treadmill, bike and elliptical, my body was still becoming too used to it to get the benefit. Just a thought.
  • ANGELAWHALEY
    Options
    I AM GOING TO THE DOCTOR TOMORROW TO ASK ABOUT GETTING SOME WEIGHT LOSS PILLS. THEY ARE LIKE $26 A MONTH FOR THE GENERIC. HAVE YOU ASKED YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU MIGHT QUALIFY FOR THIS?

I AM VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR MARRIAGE I AM DIVORCED AND RE-MARRIED AND MY CURRENT HUSBAND AND I BOTH HAD VERY UGLY DIVORCES BEFORE WE MET SO I UNDERSTAND. JUST PRAY AND ASK GOD TO HELP YOU GET THROUGH THIS EMOTIONAL TIME IN YOUR LIFE.
  • TAMMYGREENE
    Options
    congratulations on the weight you have lost, look back at what you were doing then that is different than now, if you are maintaining your weight as you say then you may need to cut back your total daily calorie intake and up your cardio work outs for long duration. Also what kind of calories are you eating? if you are eating a 1200 cal per day diet of high sodium, fatty foods it will make weight loss much more difficult.
    The stress in your life is not helping you with your weight loss - another thing you might give a try is yoga, along meditation these work wonders. Good luck, and I hope you and your husband can find the happiness you once had.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I really appreciate it.