protien drinks after a workout

Options
I know you are supposed to eat you calories that you burn off after a workout.
Is a protein drink okay? Will it make your muscles bulky?

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    no they wont make you bulky....protien is needed for muscle build....and can help with weight loss
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Sufficient amounts of protein are great to have after workouts because they can aid in lean muscle mass. For your lean muscle mass you will not get bulky just by having a regular protein drink. You aren't drinking like some huge amount for body builders right? Around 20 grams is usually plenty for me. And make sure to stay away from the sugary drinks.
  • bekarutt
    bekarutt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    no body building!! i heard from my sister that it would make your muscles bulky, good to know its the other way around..lean muscle!!!
  • Mommy08
    Mommy08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you are doing like protein powders, I would highly suggest whey protein. I have been using that and really love it. That promotes the build up of lean muscle mass. You won't get bulking from eating alot of protein. It's the other stuff in some of those mixes that puts the bulk on.
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that you can't really "bulk up" muscle while losing weight. The only way to really add muscle mass (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) is to eat an excess of calories (and in very specific percentages of carbs, protein and fat) while doing strength training.

When you're losing weight (eating at a calorie deficit) and toning muscle, you're not really adding mass to the muscle (even though you get more definition, and it may appear that your muscles are bigger) what is really happening is that you are engaging more of the muscle fibers and increasing functional strength.

I think SHBoss has a thread on this topic. If I come across it, I'll post a link. He really knows what he's talking about.
  • bekarutt
    bekarutt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    thanks!