would you consider this a "binge"

Options
would you consider it "binging" if it is with healthier foods?
for example.. say you sat there and stuffed yourself with like, 4 large apples, and a few handfuls of grapes, and some carrot sticks or a banana until you were stuffed. would you still consider this a binge if it's fruits/veggies?
I've ALWAYS wondered about this and I'm interested to hear what you all think!

Replies

• jaaayyxo
    jaaayyxo Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would consider it a binge, especially if I was eating cause I was bored/upset. That's what classifies it as a binge to me anyways, not necessarily what foods I eat.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I believe eating in excessive portions is a binge, regardless of whether its healthy or not
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I consider bingeing to be emotional- if you are eating and feel as if you've lost control and can't stop yourself, it's a binge, regardless of what you eat.

ETA: I think there's a difference between eating because you're bored or upset and a binge, too. That's just emotional eating. Emotional eating is not necessarily binge eating.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't. If I binge, I can eat over 3000 calories in one sitting. Since it's probably impossible to consume even 1000 calories in fruits and veges at one time (without seriously hurting yourself), then I would say that is not a binge.
  • cindl24
    cindl24 Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm glad you are eating healthy foods, but that quantity would make me very sick.

The best thing to do is to limit the amounts so you do not get overfull.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you had ate that day and the last time you ate. If you reached your calorie intake goal for the day and decided to eat something else then ate all of that I would call that a binge.
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, a binge is a binge no matter the quality of the food.

I am curious why you use the word "binge" and why you are concerned about it (being a recovering bulimic myself). Is everything ok with you?
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Agreed...^^^^^^^^^^ :wink:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    If you felt like you couldn't stop and control yourself then yes it was a binge.

If you made yourself a bowl of fruit, messed around online while munching...then realized it was all gone...

...thats just something that happens sometimes :laugh:
  • trblmakr23
    Options
    I consider a binge doing something out of your control and you can't stop yourself..for example cleaning out the cupboards eating 3k plus worth of calories in one sitting.. Yes I do think you can go overboard with healthy foods on binges, but I don't think eating 4 apples and some carrot sticks as a binge..but that's just me. :)
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Depends....was that your MEAL or just UNNECESSARY/SNACK eating?? If it wasn't one of your meals the, Yes, I consider that a binge. Regardless of the type of food, it is a binge when you compulsively eat a large quantity of food...especially if you're not really hungry.
  • BuhbyeBooty
    Options
    Accoding to the Merriam Webster dictionary, the definition of the word binge is: an act of excessive or compulsive consumption. I would say that eating that amount of food in one sitting would certainly be excessive, even if not compulsive (which it may or may not be).
  • prioritizinghealth
    Options
    just to clear things up - I DID NOT DO THIS!! I was just curious because it's something Ive wondered about.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it! while it may be technically considered a binge and is probably best to get in the habit of not doing so, its definitely the best kind of binge to have...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    binging isnt about what you eat or even how much you eat, just the feeling of being out of control when you eat it
  • username_1998
    Options
    it is only considered a binge if you lose control of what your eating, whether its healthy foods or not. if your conscious of what your eating and you can actually stop when your happily full, then its not considered a binge. hope this helped :)
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    bingeing is when you're eating but not even hungry, doesn't matter what food it is. Over eating unnecessarily
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Smoking something?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

The best thing to do is to limit the amounts so you do not get overfull.

i think the whole point is that a 'binge' is eating in an uncontrolled manner there for not being able to limit the amount you eat and stup yourself getting over full....