ilovekickboxing.com

Options
So, I've been taking classes at a local martial arts school with the ilovekickboxing.com program, and they say you can burn up to 800 or more calories per class. I recently also bought a Fitbit One, and it's only registering about 150 calories burned per class. I feel like this is wrong. Can anyone offer some insight? ie: have you taken classes with a heart rate monitor and found an average amount of calories burned? I'd love to know!

Some info about me:
SW: 137
CW: 131
GW: 115

I'm currently eating about 1200 calories a day (give or take a few every day, I'm not too too strict as long as I know I'm eating healthier and not over-indulging) and I have lost 6 pounds in the past 2 months so far.

Replies

• catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM during kickboxing classes and I can easily burn up to 500 calories an hour. But I don't do the ilovekickboxing.com program, I'm with a local club. I also help at the kids class and walk to and from training so I can get a burn of up to 1200 calories in 3 hours if I work hard.

I think this is a really good burn considering there will be times when it seems we aren't doing alot, for example, waiting for a turn to spar, watching others sparring, holding pads (although that can be tiring) etc, but when we are doing pad drills or sparring my heart rate can be in excess of 170 easily, so I suppose you could count it as HIIT.

150 calories does seem way too low. Do you feel like you're getting a good workout?
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I'm definitely getting a good workout. I don't think I've ever been as sweaty and tired as I am after a class (and I was a dancer for 15 years! lol)

We do a good 10-15 minutes per class of kettle bell drills, and in between different drills with the bags, we usually do squats, pushups, situps, etc. I feel like the Fitbit doesn't pick those things up. The class is broken down (approximately) like this:

First 3-5 minutes: running laps, sprinting, etc.
    Next 10-15 minutes: kettle bell work
    Next 30 minutes or so: bag work
    Final 5-10 minutes: stretching

I know I'm definitely working hard and putting the effort in to get results, I'm just not sure how many calories I'm ACTUALLY burning.

Thanks for the insight though. It definitely helps! :)
  • MelanieAG05
    MelanieAG05 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i do a kickboxing class at my gym and burn between 400 and 500 per hour it is a very fast paced cardio based class though and mixes kickboxing with circuit training so perhaps not quite the same.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    The women in my kickboxing class with HRMs register 500-900 calories in an hour. I think there's a problem with your fitbit.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    a fitbit won;t measure kickboxing, it's best for walking and running. I have a fitbit ultra, and it's basically a fancy pedometer, which works for me because i like to run.

Ultimatley, you can use the calorie estimates on here for kickboxing, find an online calculator, or buy a HRM, but there is nothing wrong with your fitbit - it's just not made to measure kickboxing.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 500/700 cals per 90 mins session, depending largely on how much tuition/demonstration there has been, the less of these 2 things and the higher the burn, the more of these 2 things then the less we are actually doin ourselves. Not sure this is much help? Xx
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    a fitbit won;t measure kickboxing, it's best for walking and running. I have a fitbit ultra, and it's basically a fancy pedometer, which works for me because i like to run.

Ultimatley, you can use the calorie estimates on here for kickboxing, find an online calculator, or buy a HRM, but there is nothing wrong with your fitbit - it's just not made to measure kickboxing.

This. The fitbit only measures equivalent steps. It does not measure heart rate or anything else you are doing (punching and kicking). If you log the exercise separately, the fitbit will back out the calories it thinks you burned during the logging time, and you will have your more accurate count.
  • kaceelawlor
    kaceelawlor Posts: 184 Member
    Options

This. The fitbit only measures equivalent steps. It does not measure heart rate or anything else you are doing (punching and kicking). If you log the exercise separately, the fitbit will back out the calories it thinks you burned during the logging time, and you will have your more accurate count.

Thanks! That's what I was thinking about doing, but then it gives me a negative calorie adjustment for the Fitbit. I even figured out how much time during class I was "active" for the fitbit to register (ie: running) and subtracted that from the total class time to adjust the amount of time spent punching, kicking, etc. We'll see. I mean, I'm seeing results, slowly but surely, so I can't really complain. I'm just a numbers person and would like to see accuracy and coordination with everything. lol