why do people think carbs are so bad/evil?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is the type of carb. Ill eat brown rice but not white rice, and wheat bread but not white. Its all about what has the best nutrients.

That's just being silly
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To the poster who said "only those who don't run think carbs are evil"
    not true. I ran 2 half marathons this summer while pregnant doing VLC. You CAN be an athlete and run efficiently on "alternative fuels" ;)

Hey, I have to say, it's not alternative.. If we think of our bodies as a fire, and we put carbs into the fire to burn, with all this extra fat on us.. carbs and simple sugars will be our main fuel. if we put fat into the fire, once it runs out of eaten fat.. it turns to the stores of fat all around and says "SNACK TIME!"

Wishful thinking...

I know, but.. in my heart of hearts, I see a glimmer of hope. Even if it's false hope it's still better than despair. =)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    not true. I ran 2 half marathons this summer while pregnant doing VLC. You CAN be an athlete and run efficiently on "alternative fuels" ;)

Hey, I have to say, it's not alternative.. If we think of our bodies as a fire, and we put carbs into the fire to burn, with all this extra fat on us.. carbs and simple sugars will be our main fuel. if we put fat into the fire, once it runs out of eaten fat.. it turns to the stores of fat all around and says "SNACK TIME!"

Wishful thinking...

I know, but.. in my heart of hearts, I see a glimmer of hope. Even if it's false hope it's still better than despair. =)

.....What?!
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are bad & not everyone on a lower carb diet are idiots. Many people have medical reasons.
    I'm on a low carb diet supervised by my Dr. I eat a healthy amount of carbs, by choosing whole foods and complex carbs.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options

Wishful thinking...

.....What?!

LOL bean.. I know that hanging on to the notion that my low carb diet probably has no extra effect on my weight loss, aside from helping me stay away from soda and fries.. my weaknessess.. But I still hold hope that one day a doctor will go "there's the fire right there, and it's got sugar in it. needs to be fed fat.."
  • freckles_cmj
    freckles_cmj Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat a plant based whole foods diet so it is very high in carbs, very low in fat and lower than average protein, and it is working for me. I think a lot of people also confuse simple carbs (breads, bagels, sugar, ect) with complex carbs like vegetables, grains and beans, which are also sources of protein and fiber and low in calories compared to the simple carbs.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/medical_nutrition.html
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Wishful thinking...

.....What?!

LOL bean.. I know that hanging on to the notion that my low carb diet probably has no extra effect on my weight loss, aside from helping me stay away from soda and fries.. my weaknessess.. But I still hold hope that one day a doctor will go "there's the fire right there, and it's got sugar in it. needs to be fed fat.."

OK....it really doesn't matter if there's a mythological sugar burning fire- if low carb works for YOU, which it sounds like it does, than go with it. What does it matter if it has advantageous effects on other people? There's no need to pretend to believe in some metaphor. hahaha
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I eat a plant based whole foods diet so it is very high in carbs, very low in fat and lower than average protein, and it is working for me. I think a lot of people also confuse simple carbs (breads, bagels, sugar, ect) with complex carbs like vegetables, grains and beans, which are also sources of protein and fiber and low in calories compared to the simple carbs.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/medical_nutrition.html

Sugar is a simple carb.
    Bread and bagels are complex carbs.
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    Because when I eat bread or cake, it isn't very filling. But it is a fair to large number of calories. If I were to eat the same number of calories in vegetables, I feel full.

When I don't eat grains I also don't have cravings for more grain products which makes it easier to stay on target. May not be the same for everyone, but it is how it works for me.
  • justcallmet
    justcallmet Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Not sure if this has been mentioned, but check out a movie called Fathead on Hulu. There is a GREAT explanation in how carbs affect your body in it.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it's 100% bs that myth that "protein keeps you full" and "protein is the secret to weightloss". I'd always be hungry an hour later or feel deprived not eating carbs.

Now I eat as many carbs as I want, which is still less carbs than I ate when I wasn't vegan? Weird huh? But I don't feel deprived or anything. I still lose fat. In fact I lost weight most easily now.

It's not the protein that keeps me full. It's fat. I ran 22km a week and was endlessly hungry whether I ate 1200 calories or 2000 calories daily.

Choosing to be keto. I can eat 1200 calories and run 22km a week and not be hungry. The source of my calories has made a huge difference.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    To the OP: Not sure if this has been mentioned, but check out a movie called Fathead on Hulu. There is a GREAT explanation in how carbs affect your body in it.
    i'll do it now :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    so part 2 of the question.. if i have an excess of carbs does ny body not use fat for fuel?

Your body always uses a combination of fat and glucose for fuel.

Yes, the amazing thing is that your body can chain together fatty acids and lipids and create simple glucose from them. the process is EXCEPTIONALLY inefficient, but you can survive trapped with the donner party with just meat if you *had* to
    And there lies the problem.

You mention two key points:

1. It's inefficient
    2. Your body only turns to fatty acids and lipids if it had too.

I use to be scared of carbs... until I finally did some research. Now, I hate eating UNDER 300g a day. Not only do I feel tired, my hunger is crazy.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I think it's 100% bs that myth that "protein keeps you full" and "protein is the secret to weightloss". I'd always be hungry an hour later or feel deprived not eating carbs.
    I am with you on that.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I am going through school for nutrition right now, and I'm gonna lay it all out for you okay? :)

Carbs get a very bad reputation, but the unfortunate thing is that all carbs get grouped together, and this is not good! Carbs SHOULD account for around 60% of your calories. This is because it is our main energy source, and if we do not have proper carb intake your body will go to proteins first, which should be used to build up muscle instead of giving you energy

these are in all pasta, rice, bread, flour, legumes and many fruit and veggies in varying degrees. BUT, it is the refined version of these that are the problem... white bread, white pasta, white rice, and the number one problem: sugar.. (and some would argue - potatoes but I am not one of those people) When you take grains and strip them of all their nutrients and fibre you get something that goes through digestion so quick, then to blood sugar, then to fat, while also spiking your insulin and putting you at risk for diabetes. Sugar is by far the worst in the list of carbs because it provides no nutrients, and goes straight to the blood.
    But the whole grains, 100% whole wheat (not necessarily 'multigrain'), and other whole/intact grains, go through your body so much slower and give you so many critical nutrients like B vitamins and other minerals, that whole grains and beans are really very important.
    Carbs also help with:
    satiety - keeping you fuller longer
    whole grain carbs have a ton of vitamins and minerals and are a good source of protein as well
    a good source of fibre (soluble and insoluble)
    sustaining a happy relationship with food ( if you feel robbed of carbs all the time, thats only going to make you resent your diet)

Moral of the story:
    whole grains and natural carb sources ( like fruit and veggies) are critical for good heath
    refined grains and sugar are not good for you (but IN MODERATION can help you feel happy about what your eating)

I hope that wasn't toooo much information, if you have any questions or are confused about anything, just let me know:)
  • AntWrig
    Options
    I am going through school for nutrition right now, and I'm gonna lay it all out for you okay? :)

Carbs get a very bad reputation, but the unfortunate thing is that all carbs get grouped together, and this is not good! Carbs SHOULD account for around 60% of your calories. This is because it is our main energy source, and if we do not have proper carb intake your body will go to proteins first, which should be used to build up muscle instead of giving you energy

these are in all pasta, rice, bread, flour, legumes and many fruit and veggies in varying degrees. BUT, it is the refined version of these that are the problem... white bread, white pasta, white rice, and the number one problem: sugar.. (and some would argue - potatoes but I am not one of those people) When you take grains and strip them of all their nutrients and fibre you get something that goes through digestion so quick, then to blood sugar, then to fat, while also spiking your insulin and putting you at risk for diabetes. Sugar is by far the worst in the list of carbs because it provides no nutrients, and goes straight to the blood.
    But the whole grains, 100% whole wheat (not necessarily 'multigrain'), and other whole/intact grains, go through your body so much slower and give you so many critical nutrients like B vitamins and other minerals, that whole grains and beans are really very important.
    Carbs also help with:
    satiety - keeping you fuller longer
    whole grain carbs have a ton of vitamins and minerals and are a good source of protein as well
    a good source of fibre (soluble and insoluble)
    sustaining a happy relationship with food ( if you feel robbed of carbs all the time, thats only going to make you resent your diet)

Moral of the story:
    whole grains and natural carb sources ( like fruit and veggies) are critical for good heath
    refined grains and sugar are not good for you (but IN MODERATION can help you feel happy about what your eating)

I hope that wasn't toooo much information, if you have any questions or are confused about anything, just let me know:)
    The mental aspects of eating carbs are so underrated.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    When you take grains and strip them of all their nutrients and fibre you get something that goes through digestion so quick, then to blood sugar, then to fat, while also spiking your insulin and putting you at risk for diabetes. Sugar is by far the worst in the list of carbs because it provides no nutrients, and goes straight to the blood.

I'd do a little more research on all the above...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It's the same as people saying that Chinese food is bad for you. (or so many other foods)

Smoking tobacco is bad for you. Food is not. :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Now I eat as many carbs as I want, which is still less carbs than I ate when I wasn't vegan? Weird huh? But I don't feel deprived or anything. I still lose fat. In fact I lost weight most easily now.

It's not the protein that keeps me full. It's fat. I ran 22km a week and was endlessly hungry whether I ate 1200 calories or 2000 calories daily.

Choosing to be keto. I can eat 1200 calories and run 22km a week and not be hungry. The source of my calories has made a huge difference.

For me, it's all three. I get three solid meals with carbohydrates, protein, and fats and rarely feel hungry. I also usually have a dessert and a snack or two, but not always.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not bad! I love carbs and I've lost 100 pounds eating carbs. This is a lifestyle change for me and I can't live the rest of my life on low carbs. Thank goodness it's worked for me so far.