Friends and open diaries!

Options
In the beginning, I didn't use MFP to it's potential. When I first started MFP 7 months ago...I was just thrilled to have an app to help me keep track of my cals and workouts. I was just looking to lose my remaining 30lbs of my 120 pounds. I would read posts on the board about people insisting other people open up their diaries, so others could see what they were eating. I thought that funny, and figured that my diary is really nobodies business. But here it is 7 months later, and I have to say that I am loving my new friends that I have made on this site...they are all active and encouraging (and if they aren't~ we aren't friends for much longer :-))...some of them crack me up with their wordsmith abilities, and others like to compare notes on what we've eaten that day, or how our runs went! For any new person that is on the fence about gathering friends or opening your diary...I would encourage you to do both! It is more fun with friends, and the open diary ultimately helps to keep you accountable...and to help troubleshoot if you're stalling in your loss. I don't recommend gathering a billion friends...but I do recommend some, some that you have commonality with, and that are active...both in real life and on this site. If you gather some friends that you really don't have much in common with, you don't develop a report with, or if they don't participate in your day as you participate in theirs, then cut them from your list and add a couple more. I lost my first 90lbs on my own...clearly it is possible, but it took much longer...than had I joined MFP and used all of the tools available to me! The same tools that are available to you! Don't be shy! Become a part of the community, share your ideas, and draw upon other peoples and you will be set up for success!! Good luck!! :-)

Replies

• AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I just started using the MFP app about a month ago and got on the site shortly after. At first I was kind of leery about the whole idea of adding friends on the site. I didn't think it was necessary to get me where I need to be. However, I have added a few people since joining and I agree that it has been a great experience! I don't necessarily want to add a ton of people, but I think have a small number of truly supportive people is a good thing. It makes me feel more accountable to log in and track my calories even on the days when I would rather not. I haven't opened my diary yet. It's not that I feel like I need to hide anything, but I just think that's for me to keep track of and not other people. I'm sure that mindset will change in time though. I absolutely love this site though and the people on it! It is such a wonderful community. I too encourage everyone to take advantage of it, because it really will help you to do so!