How to Balance P90X with 2 children under 5

Options
How do you do it? I'm still working through this one myself. So far I've managed to keep my sanity while losing some serious pounds. Something's got to give though right?

Without giving an insane amount of background here, my family has been through a series of 'significantly good events' this year. We successfully sold our house that was supposedly underwater, rented a replacement property for 3 months no bigger than a shoebox, and then proceeded to put an offer on the house of our dreams.Well we got it! 2012 has been an extremely hectic and somewhat stressful year that was full of positive outcomes.

The whole time my wife and I were adamant that our children would not be affected by the busy year. Fast forward to round two of P90X, and we are still achieving massive goals while minimizing the impact on our little ones. How? Sacrifice. Our workouts do not begin until the kids are in bed. Some nights that is easier than others. Dinner time, play time, bath time, story time and night time all take a considerable amount of energy for two full time working parents. Our children are our treasures, so investing time and energy in them is what we do.

Our time and energy is not boundless. How on earth do you commit to P90X on top of being a parent. For my wife the answer is she's always been miss active. For me, it was out of necessity. At 311 pounds I was not caring for my kids. The impacts on my body were becoming significant. The balance comes from not really having any! It's a matter of putting the kids first, and MAKING time to look after yourself. That means if you don't start your workout until 8:00 pm, you work hard until its done. There are no easy ways around commitment. I commit to myself, my wife and my children.Working out together as a husband and wife is uniquely satisfying. Why? Because we achieve together, and our kids are none the wiser to our efforts except for the fact their daddy can run around doing Kung Foo Panda (KempoX) karate kicks now.

Bring it!

Replies

• JenMcCrory
    JenMcCrory Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Lovely story just shows both of your commitment.

Myself and my husband did the exact same thing when we did P90x a few years ago. Work all day, get home, have some family time, dinner, kids to bed and then p90x it was busy but it was worth it. I'm only sorry we didn't get to finish it (terminal illness in family)

To anyone else out there with kids and commitments you can do it!!
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yup...Day 2 today....and I overslept so taking older daughter to school and maybe kicking a toddler while doing Plythometrics......MUST STICK TO IT!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Great job! I wish more people were that dedicated. Kids are probably the number 3 excuse for not working out that I get from clients
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I do not have little kids any more so cant comment on that part but would think youd be really tired at night to do your workout and bravo for getting it done, is perhaps working out early in the morning while they are sleeping doable, like 4 or 5am before you go to work then you can just do all your night family time without worrying you still have to workout.
  • ckurtz3
    Options
    I do it and basically it comes down to how committed you are. Wake up earlier or stay up late. If both fails have them join. I have 3 kids a 1, 2, and 5 year old and when my one year old is climbing on me I tell her to sit on my tummy to help me keep it contracted. I make a game out of it and although my kids cant do it they still have fun trying.
  • simonkurth
    simonkurth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words.