starting strength training

Options
ok finally decided to join the gym. I've been exercising at home (workout videos) , but since the scale is not moving and my body isnt changing either I decided to start strength training. I will meet with my trainer on friday.

I'm a little scared and feel I'm not ready for it but I wanna try. Does anyone would like to share some tips/advice? Also as a beginner, what exercise routine should I expect to be instructed to do? The only reason I'm asking is because i wanna get different opinions of people that has gotten good results with strength training and also I dont want to rely on only one opinion (my trainer) of what I should do

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you'll more than likely lose inches and fat more so than scale weight which can be a mix of muscle mass, water and fat.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    you'll more than likely lose inches and fat more so than scale weight which can be a mix of muscle mass, water and fat.

I dont mind the number on the scale as long as I lose inches.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    then definitely go for it. the past 4 months my weight loss has stalled (according to the scale) but i've moved from a size 16 to a size 12 and soon to be 10.

i so a mix of strong lifts and starting strengths. the moves are complex movements like squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, overhead press and olympic lifts like snatches and jerks.
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend was in a similar position, and I bought her the New Rules of Lifting for Women (forgot the author's name off the top of my head). It totally transformed her body in the 6 month program, and I love being able to squat, row, and deadlift next to her. The book is very informative for beginners, but I would look up videos for each exercise so you get a better idea of the form than the still photos in the book. Start slow, gauge your tolerance, then lift those barbells!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting is great ..... I also found this article quite good. http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Lifestyle/BodyMind/376/German_Body_Comp_for_the_Ladies.aspx
  • jencjeffery
    jencjeffery Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women and love it. I am also doing a course to become a Personal Trainer and everything I am learning points to strength training being much more effective to tone muscle and reduce fat. Go for it. I am sure you will see the benefits
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women! fantastic. check out the groups and discussions here.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    thank you all for the input
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    ok finally decided to join the gym. I've been exercising at home (workout videos) , but since the scale is not moving and my body isnt changing either I decided to start strength training. I will meet with my trainer on friday.

I'm a little scared and feel I'm not ready for it but I wanna try. Does anyone would like to share some tips/advice? Also as a beginner, what exercise routine should I expect to be instructed to do? The only reason I'm asking is because i wanna get different opinions of people that has gotten good results with strength training and also I dont want to rely on only one opinion (my trainer) of what I should do

I'm just starting a new strength program, LiveFit with Jamie Eason. Next to all of the daily workouts and nutrition advice, you can watch a video on how to properly do each lift, http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html.

Good luck!
  • fraser112
    Options
    then definitely go for it. the past 4 months my weight loss has stalled (according to the scale) but i've moved from a size 16 to a size 12 and soon to be 10.

i so a mix of strong lifts and starting strengths. the moves are complex movements like squats, deadlifts, pullups, bench press, overhead press and olympic lifts like snatches and jerks.

Listen to this guy lift heavy/lift heavy starting strength is a great way to get started. Don't get stuck in the lift weights/reps rubbish.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Listen to this guy lift heavy/lift heavy starting strength is a great way to get started. Don't get stuck in the lift weights/reps rubbish.
    the hell?!?.. i'm a CHICK. this T&A is too fabulous to be on a dude :laugh:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You need a lock for your locker, shower shoes if you shower there, and bandanas if your gym doesn't provide towels. Otherwise, be friendly and enjoy yourself !
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

That is AMAZING! I'm going to have to keep reminding myself as I do more strength not to rely on the scale so much.
  • vadarvs
    vadarvs Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell your trainer exactly what you want. If you can do a trial session with a trainer first, I would recommend. You won't like every trainer's style. It is amazing how weight training will change your body. Make sure you ask your trainer to take your measurements and body fat % before you start. Like somebody else stated, you might not see much of a difference on the scale, but you will see inches gone. I'm not sure how many days you plan on meeting a trainer, but if only one, pick at least one more day to do weights and make sure you fit in cardio as well since you are trying to lose weight.

Good luck to you!
  • fraser112
    Options

Sorry the advice was to great i assumed it was a guy giving lifting advice :flowerforyou: i never looked at the same of display sorry.
    Feel free to call me a sexist pig :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    Options

Sorry the advice was to great i assumed it was a guy giving lifting advice :flowerforyou: i never looked at the same of display sorry.

drats. and there i was thinking that you mistook my lady bicep for a dude bicep :frown:
  • beanerific518
    Options
    strength training has transformed my body. I do a combination of heavy strength training 3x per week with some HIIT cardio, being generally active, eating clean, and watching my calories (I aim for about 1900 calories each day). I started at a size 20 and am now a size 6.

I am trying out Crossfit now (I got a good deal through Livingsocial) which combines strength training with more athletic / conditioning moves. It is a ton of fun too! Figured it is good to mix things up.
  • fraser112
    Options

drats. and there i was thinking that you mistook my lady bicep for a dude bicep :frown:

stick at it soon you will be able to crush man like walnut
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell your trainer exactly what you want. If you can do a trial session with a trainer first, I would recommend. You won't like every trainer's style.

This x1000. Be explicit in telling the trainer what you want/expect. If your expectations are too high, he/she can tell you. But unless he/she knows what your real goal(s) is/are, he/she* can only give you basic advice.

* Too many qualifiers! It would help if I could remember if you mentioned the trainer was a guy or girl...

:blushing:

ETA: Also meant that while we can tell you what worked for us - it may not work or be suitable for you.
  • proudmommy1003
    Options
    You need a lock for your locker, shower shoes if you shower there, and bandanas if your gym doesn't provide towels. Otherwise, be friendly and enjoy yourself !

Thank you I was just thinking on the exercise part and completely forgot about those things.