Giving up the smokes...

Options

Replies

• gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    The Allen Carr Easy Way book worked for me, 20 year habit quit cold turkey.

You can't crave what you don't want, willpower not required.

Sorry to sound a bit evangelical but that book gave me my freedom back.

This lovely man introduced me to the magic book! It works! Trust him, trust me. Just read the book!

Thanks again, Vim!
  • amykff
    amykff Posts: 80 Member
    Options

i dont want to sound cliche but that book literally changed my life....i owe a lot to it!! and so do a lot of people i know! i stopped smoking 11 december 2011, ive also lost over 30lbs since then too!!

good luck to you :smile:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    try the Eon cigs, thats what Im doing, the smoke hits the back of your throat the right way.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. My quitting wasn't easy, but it's possible. Don't beat yourself up if you do well then end up smoking one again. It happens. Having that one cigarette when you're craving it more than anything else helps keep you from backsliding completely.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    Best of luck. My quitting wasn't easy, but it's possible. Don't beat yourself up if you do well then end up smoking one again. It happens. Having that one cigarette when you're craving it more than anything else helps keep you from backsliding completely.

I disagree. You can't kick the addiction if you keep smoking, you are just prolonging it. Whatever you do, don't smoke. Eat whatever, do whatever, the longer you are without it, the more you are free from it. You will crave a cigarette even after a year. Just don't smoke, every day, every hour without it, it gets easier.
  • Tallblondechick
    Options
    To tell you the truth......I still want one......often too....but after 2.5 years....there is no way in hell.....I remember everytime I quit and started back I hated myself...Felt like such a failure.....I became really upset two nights ago...I needed a cigarette so bad. or thought I did. ..I tossed and turned for 2 hours....this is serious ****......I don't know if that is what detox is like but I tell you what......it was hell... I hope and pray I never do it again......one day at a time....NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!....WHYQUIT.COM.....I still use it 2.5 years later....

It is the hardest thing you'll ever do....but the best thing you can do for yourself......good luck
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    ok, update...
    yesterday went quite well. I figure i was probably on a 50/50 ratio of cigs/ecig. I definitely smoked less. I smoke roll-ups.

next day - its now 10am. I'd normally have had 8 cigs by now, if not 10. I've had 2.

The brand i am using is Gamucci. Looks (a little bit) like a normal ciggy. the tip glows red when being inhaled, and it generates smoke to inhale/exhale.

The thing i notice, is that one cannot replace the 'draw', sound and sensation as a ciggy burns down. But, its going well so far!
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options

I read this 3 years ago and I am still a non smoker - best thing I ever bought.
  • likemeinvisible
    Options
    ok, update...
    yesterday went quite well. I figure i was probably on a 50/50 ratio of cigs/ecig. I definitely smoked less. I smoke roll-ups.

next day - its now 10am. I'd normally have had 8 cigs by now, if not 10. I've had 2.

The brand i am using is Gamucci. Looks (a little bit) like a normal ciggy. the tip glows red when being inhaled, and it generates smoke to inhale/exhale.

The thing i notice, is that one cannot replace the 'draw', sound and sensation as a ciggy burns down. But, its going well so far!

It's good that you smoke less, I know how hard it is. If decreasing the dosage slowly works for you than keep at it. Whatever works, whatever you can do to smoke less, do it.
  • dcurzon
    Options
    update - yesterday, i smoked a grand total of 7 roll ups throughout the day/evening.

i've had one today, and that finished up the tobacco that i bought monday morning. i dont intend on buying anymore tobacco.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options

This lovely man introduced me to the magic book! It works! Trust him, trust me. Just read the book!

Thanks again, Vim!

You are most welcome, very glad to hear that you are still on the straight and narrow. :)
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    Good luck man. From personal experience. I have to say one thing. I have said it before a couple of times, but here goes:

1. you have to HATE cigarettes. You have to hate the act of it. You have to feel guilt every time you light up, and it has to consume everything you do. It has to affect your day to day operations, as in not being able to run to catch the bus, or walk down a trail in Tahoe to your favorite fishing spots. If you do not have that mindset, you are doomed to fail. Hard to digest, but I feel it is the truth.

2. any chemical dependency will not help you. when I was checking out the gum earlier this year, a couple people told me that they depend on the gum, and it has been that way "for about 3-4 years"." I quit almost cold turkey this time, and have never looked back. Gave away my gum to someone else hoping to quit.

3. You will eat more, thus you will gain weight for a while. You have to be okay with that. Do not start working out immediately. I gained 10 lbs in a week when I quit, because I ate everything in front of me and your mama's Christmas recipe, too! But within a month I lost it all back.

4. There has to be little to no stress in your life. Money issues, such as day to day jobs, or dealing with loans, will trigger you. You cannot be in a high stress life situation.

I am something like almost 2 months smoke free for the first time since I was 13. I feel awesome, and am going to be running my first timed 5k at sunrise. I just consider myself a non-smoker now. I do not even think about it. Good luck in your journey!
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I used an electronic cig when I quit in Feb this year.....still off the smokes! It is possible, just give the ecig a try. I still use it with a zero nicotine cartridge when I feel that urge e.g. after a good meal, when I've had a few drinks or feeling very stressed. I will cut it out totally but I'm not putting too much pressure on myself about it.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    3. You will eat more, thus you will gain weight for a while. You have to be okay with that. Do not start working out immediately. I gained 10 lbs in a week when I quit, because I ate everything in front of me and your mama's Christmas recipe, too! But within a month I lost it all back.

Sorry you don't have to gain any weight, I didn't, I didn't substitute, if you substitute a chocolate bar for a cigarette then yes weight will go on, but if you substitute say a 5 minute jog on the spot or a small carrot when you fancy a cigarette the you will be doing yourself the world of good.
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    4. There has to be little to no stress in your life. Money issues, such as day to day jobs, or dealing with loans, will trigger you. You cannot be in a high stress life situation.

That point is all in your head, smoking doesn't relieve stress, think about when you used to smoke, I bet 99% of the time you would smoke the same number of cigarettes whether you were stressed or happy - thats been the case for me and pretty much everyone I've ever spoken to about smoking.

Having a smoke doesn't relieve stress, it doesn't get rid of it, the stress factor will still be there after you stub out that cigarette.

On another point, quitting Smoking is not about breaking an addiction to nicotine but breaking an addiction to the physical habit of smoking.

If you REALLY want to quit you can and will quit without any Nictoine Replacement, and doing it cold turkey. It's your brain you need to train to break the habit of smoking. You probably find yo smoke at the same times of day each and every day, i.e. when you wake up, during a 5 minute break at work in the morning, after lunch, before and after dinner, and before bed.
  • blueeyess55
    blueeyess55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Gitn_Fit
    Gitn_Fit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking with the e-cig too. It's been a little over a year now and still have that same half pack of smokes in my car. I tried one type of e-cig first and it just was too fussy and didn't do it for me, then I got the ego tank (type B) and it just worked great. Then the challenge was finding a flavor and strength. I forced myself to go 7 days without a smoke, ecig only. I felt better after about day 5. Day 7 came and for some reason I couldn't use my ecig (don't remember why), so I had a smoke. It was DISGUSTING, even when I tried chewing on the sinus-clearing strong gum, just tasted like licking an ashtray. That was the end of that.

Occassionally cigarettes smell good to me now, but most of the time not. The ecigs just taste better and I get all I need from them. I too can smell someone smoking in the car in front of me and I was shocked how easily detectable that smell is. I never thought I smelled bad when I smoked. i can only imagine now... as I was 2 packs + per day!

I was so convinced at how easy this was... first time trying to quit smoking too... that I got a couple friends on it. None of them succeeded like me though and I believe it is really about attitude and want. For me it was key to not have any smokes at all. Others do well with some smoking, some vaping and just naturally lessen the smoking.

Best of luck to you. Once you are done you will be so happy that you got it done :) It made a huge difference in my life.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I quit almost a year ago. I too didnt gain weight but lost. I find that not smoking I also dont eat........the two went hand in hand for me. I also know that I always liked smoking. I didnt seem to smoke because of stress, or any of the other myriad of excuses we use to smoke. I never even minded the smell until one day.....

.........one day I noticed I had mega trouble breathing as I walked in to work from my car. I shook it off. Then I began to notice trouble walking out to my car. Now Im not talking a lil huffin n puffin..........Im talking true trouble......like OMG I dont know if I can draw another breath I need to stop for a minute. Did I quit then? Nope...that would have been too simple. It took a breathing test along with lung function tests and some odd cardio testing thrown in for good measure. It all sucked.

........so I quit one day. I merely and quite simply said "I quit". I learned to hate the smell. I learned to hate the taste, the look, the touch, the feel, and gawd knows the money wasted. I discovered that I would save at LEAST $400 a MONTH by not smoking. That's $400 a month towards my new car, or new clothes, or a personal trainer, or a savings account.

I find I have to stay aware--forever more, of how easy it is to slide back into the "I want a damn cigarette" mood. I usta not smoke or even want one from 530 am til 3pm..........and from 7pm to 3am. SO why the hell was I smoking? I never smoked at work, I never smoked in my car, I didnt smoke at other peoples homes. WTF. Why not just "not smoke"

So.......I dont.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    DeadVim, me too - Allen Carr Easyway; finished the book and haven't smoked again. Didn't suffer a single withdrawal pang. It's been an utter pleasure to this day. Best $7.00 I ever spent; cost of a pack of smokes in MD.

Hmph. Didn't work for me. I've read it several times.

Tried hypnotism, ecigs, champix.

Sigh.

I think I'll just give up giving up.
  • dcurzon
    Options
    thurs - just that one early morning cig.

friday. ZERO!

although starting to feel a bit angsty