how do i not get bulky in the gym?

Options
I am a model that needs to lose weight. i'm athletic built but i need to lose some bulk on my shoulders and thighs and calves...
So how do I do cardio without making my calves and thighs bigger? I'm just scared haha.

Replies

• mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Easy answer:
    Little or no resistance, elevated heart rate.

Harder answer:
    Talk to one of the trainers at the gym and have them give you a workout routine for just that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From what I have heard, skipping if the best cardio exercise that will not build muscle, machine such as the stairmaster can attribute to building muscle. that being said it is next to impossible to achieve any significant muscle growth by doing cardio, just make sure the resistance isn't too high and you are good to go.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Avoid heavy weights, massive protein in the diet, and testosterone. You're a gal, so no problem.

Really very very hard for women to bulk up - you just don't have the physiology for it. Most men are pretty happy about that, :smile:
  • alereyes228
    Options
    if you're a woman and are not on a high protein diet it is very unlikely that you will bulk up by just doing cardio. don't worry about it
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    no heavy weights....just do cardio
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Do lots of LONG cardio. Not intervals. Not tempo. No high intensity. Just find something you enjoy and hammer away at it at about 65% of HRmax for at least an hour. Lots of calories burned, lots of smooth/slow twitch musle fibers worked, little to no bulky/fast twitch muscle fibers worked (thus no bulk). Add in lots of stretching to lengthen the muscles you have and you should be good. I'm not a PT, so you can always check with the certified PT at your gym.