Inexpensive, decent quality watch Heart Rate Moniters?

Options
Hello!

I've recently become rather frustrated with trying to figure out my and calories burned during work outs. I'm planning on asking for a heart rate monitor for Christmas, but I don't know which kind to get!

My budget is around $0-$80, which I know isn't a lot when it comes to heart rate monitors, however I just thought I'd make a post to see if anyone had any suggestions for any that were cheap and worked well.

I want a wrist heart rate monitor that can tell me the calories I burn in work outs, preferably one that is waterproof, and maybe have number of laps or miles run (the last part would be a luxury, not really necessary).

I've heard about a lot of heart rate monitors, but I get so confused reading all of the reviews! Help!

Thanks for your time :smile:

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 and FT7 seem very popular. Don't think any of them are any good for all day wear. Lots of people have a HRM for exercise and a Fitbit for all day activity.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT4, FT7, and RS100, as well as Timex Ironman Road, are all great quality units that fit within your price range on amazon.com. None of them can be used to figure out your TDEE as the algorithms in HRMs are only accurate when reading an elevated state. There's no real accurate way to measure your daily calorie expenditure. All methods used to calculate it are merely estimates.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just bought this one. It came this weekend and today will be my first time to the gym with it. So, I can't yet tell you how I like it, but I can tell you when I asked my MFP they said to get this one. This site was the cheapest I found it and they had free shipping.

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-purple.html#scProductReviews
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Ive just got the FT4 and love it !
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    The Tanita PD 724 is a cheap but accurate 3 axes pedometer which is £25 in the UK. You would need to manually add calories burn at the end of the day- another option.