Eat like your goal weight ?

Options
I am finding 1200 calories hard to stick to. I am 5'8 and weigh approx. 195 lbs. When i was maintaining 165 i ate a lot more then 1200 cals a day. I realize this is different because i wasn't trying to lose weight just maintain it. my question is couldn't i just eat the amount of calories it would take to maintain my goal weight, to lose weight?

this was a google result

You can take your current weight and multiply by an average metabolic factor to tell you approximately how many calories you burn per day at rest (which also tells you how many calories you can eat per day just to maintain your weight). In our weight loss program, we use a metabolic factor of 11 for women and 12 for men. For example, a 160 lb. woman could theoretically eat: 160 x 11 = 1,760 calories per day to maintain that 160 lb. weight. This does not factor in calories that are burned through physical activity

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is a well accepted method of slow and sustainable weight loss. Using this method you would eat back your exercise calories.

Another option is to work out your TDEE (e.g. via this online calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ ) and set your weight loss to a 15 to 20% calorie reduction (it is not generally recommended to cut by more than 20%). In this approach you do not eat back your exercise calories as they are already factored into the caluclation and daily allowance.

Visit these groups for more guidance on this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8017-in-place-of-a-road-map
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I am finding 1200 calories hard to stick to. I am 5'8 and weigh approx. 195 lbs. When i was maintaining 165 i ate a lot more then 1200 cals a day. I realize this is different because i wasn't trying to lose weight just maintain it. my question is couldn't i just eat the amount of calories it would take to maintain my goal weight, to lose weight?

this was a google result

You can take your current weight and multiply by an average metabolic factor to tell you approximately how many calories you burn per day at rest (which also tells you how many calories you can eat per day just to maintain your weight). In our weight loss program, we use a metabolic factor of 11 for women and 12 for men. For example, a 160 lb. woman could theoretically eat: 160 x 11 = 1,760 calories per day to maintain that 160 lb. weight. This does not factor in calories that are burned through physical activity

Check this out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method - exactly what it sounds like. This is what I have been doing and it works well for me.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

this was a google result

Check this out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/477666-eating-for-future-you-method - exactly what it sounds like. This is what I have been doing and it works well for me.

This is exactly what I was just about to post! I follow this method, never feel deprived, and love it!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    It worked for me. I'm 5'4", 131, and 36 years old. I exercise 60 minutes daily and eat 1,800 calories per day. I lost 1/2 pound this week.

This calculator http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ is very good for helping find your number. I use the lightly active modifier for my number since spend most of my non-workout time on my butt.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think the number you mention is great for weight loss and very low for maintenance
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this before. Fascinating! Thank you for posting this!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    This is why i LOVE mfp. you guys are great! its nice not to have to worry about asking a "stupid" question.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    This is what I do, because I'd be miserable otherwise. I started out at 1300 calories and was a grumpy pain in the... you get the idea :) I eat around 1700 now on days I don't exercise, more when I do

Your weight loss might be slower if you're eating closer to maintenance, but I think the loss will be easier to maintain in the long run. If you're unhappy at 1200, I'd say up it by 200ish calories, give it a few weeks, and if you're still not happy up it again. Gradual changes are the best, in my opinion
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I had been wondering this as well. Another easy way to do it on MFP is to go to the "goals" section. In the spot where it says current weight enter your goal weight and select that you want to maintain that weight. It will give you your maintenance calories at that weight.

Although beware that on your TL it will say that you have lost some astonomical ammount of weight! Delete that and then change your weight back, lol! Sounds more compliacated than it was!
  • firedupfriend
    firedupfriend Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have just had a lot of input from my MFP friend Sara who has given my great advice along these lines.
    Today I upped my calories to 1400. I am a little nervous and I am sure to put on a couple of pounds but I know I will be better off in the long run. Slow and steady!!!!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    this is basically what I did for the first 40-50 lbs. It works. Especially at the beginning when you have a lot to lose. Just like any other routine, though, be sure you recalculate your calories as your body composition changes.

Also, I would highly recommend getting your body fat % checked somehow (even a bathroom scale is better than nothing), deciding approximately what body fat % you WANT to be (and be reasonable), and calculate your "goal weight" using:

Goal Weight = Lean Weight / (1-Goal Body Fat %)

This will get you in the ballpark better than just blindly deciding you want to be XX lbs because... well, because.

Again, be sure you recalc your goal weight as things change as well.

Good luck!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

this was a google result

You are young, tall, and only looking to lose 30 pounds. 1200 per day most likely WOULD be too low of a goal for you to try to stick to. In your case, eating at a higher level would be appropriate. Just don't expect to lose 2-3 pounds per week like some people with a lot more to lose might be doing. The closer to goal weight you are, the lower your calorie deficit should be and your weight loss will be slower. But you should be less frustrated with staying within your goal.
  • kels67camaro
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I am 5'10 and 196lbs. I lift 3x a week and cardio 3x a week. It has taken me since June to lose 10lbs and i have 30lbs more to go but i gant seem to lose now. I eat anywhere between 1400-1900 but i am wondering if i should up it to 2000? I hate to say it but i am just really confused by the whole calorie thing :blushing:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a decent starting point. Monitor progress and make adjustments as necessary.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too. I am 5'10 and 196lbs. I lift 3x a week and cardio 3x a week. It has taken me since June to lose 10lbs and i have 30lbs more to go but i gant seem to lose now. I eat anywhere between 1400-1900 but i am wondering if i should up it to 2000? I hate to say it but i am just really confused by the whole calorie thing :blushing:

More info to help..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12