Brine or dry rub?

Options
2»

Replies

• dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Brine! The last two years we bought an already brined turkey from Trader Joe's. The lazy way out, but turned out great. And I didn't have to get rid of a cooler full of brine...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Brine! The last two years we bought an already brined turkey from Trader Joe's. The lazy way out, but turned out great. And I didn't have to get rid of a cooler full of brine...

I just treat like I'm marinating meat. I place it in a regular roaster bag and tie it up. Let it sit in the fridge over night. Then I pour out the brine and just place the turkey in a new roaster bag. Much less mess.
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't do either - I rub my bird with Crisco, put in a 450 oven & immediately drop the temp to 350 and roast 20 mins. per pound. It's always beautifully browned and tender & juicy.

Are you serious?
  • lovedogslovecats
    lovedogslovecats Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, I'm serious. Actually, it's in The Joy of Cooking, but it's also how my mom did it for 80+ years.
  • GCanha
    GCanha Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We brime- but we also apply a dry rub (of thyme, basil, salt, pepper) under the skin of the turkey right before we put it in the over. It is very moist and flavorful.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I Brine and my family members talk about how good my Turkey was for the rest of the year!! So I vote Brine!!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I was going to try brining this year until I read NOT to do it if your turkey is "basted" as it leads to it being too salty. I don't have access to fresh and all the frozen I found said basted on them...so I am going with a rub.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    We have been brining for about 4 years. We also rub dry herbs (under the skin) and in the cavity, after the brine has been washed off and the bird dried.. . if we fry that's it. For the oven bird, we make a "blanket" of bacon and slow cook (250 degrees) it all night, depending on the size. Ends up moist and very tasty every time.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Well, yes, I'm serious. Actually, it's in The Joy of Cooking, but it's also how my mom did it for 80+ years.

^^ This is what my dad does too, except he uses butter instead of Crisco. It is very old school, but very yummy, for sure.

Personally, I just rub my bird with a bit of salt and rosemary. I'll be roasting mine in my NuWave oven, which makes roasting meats quick and painless. :smokin:

This will be my first Thanksgiving with the NuWave, but I've roasted plenty of chicken in it, and it's always perfect.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Brine........HANDS DOWN. I use Alto Brown's recipe. Can't beat it.