Belly fat....

Options
Ok, I was doing really well (for me) with my weight loss journey, 10 lbs down in 2 months, then we played the cold carousel in my house and I got two turns! And I recently had a medical situation that meant I couldn't follow my previous diet and exercise regime. So my train was completely derailed. I'm currently only 28 years old and at least 40lbs overweight.

I know there is no diet/exercises that will target specific areas of the body and lose weight there first. But I do have a question similar to that concept. Is there a nutritional plan that tends to help losing weight in the midsection better? I don't really know what "body type" I am and I don't know if that really makes a huge difference to my question, but I carry weight in the front of my stomach.... Like a pregnant lady. I don't carry fat everywhere, mainly just there.

So I was wondering if eating a higher protein (maybe 40-50%) or something would help more? I was having some luck when I was trying to eat about 40% of my calories as protein, but it was hard to do some days. I'm just hoping if I start doing it again, it's the best thing to do. Right now I'm trying to do at least three 30 min cardio sessions a week and I'm going to start adding some weight training/lifting in too. I'm really finding it hard to fit in exercise when I'm working full time, in school full time and I have a 15 month old. I guess I just want to make sure I'm making the best of my time and effort since I don't have much time to spare.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Fat usually comes off the same way it went on. Building muscle is great but it won't target any particular fat nor will diet. Just keep plugging away and eventually it will go.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    You can't really target that area, but a small calorie deficit will allow you to lose fat and build a bit of muscle. Definitely add in some weight training and try HIIT instead of steady-state cardio.
  • cyberblonde
    cyberblonde Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would say no. In my experience your body shape will dictate that. I am pear shaped and my fat goes off the top half first, then stomach and then hips, bum, legs. If you are apple then I would expect that the stomach would be the last to go.