Weight Loss After IUD Removal

Options
Hello!

I recently posted this thread after finding myself completely unable to lose weight after having Mirena inserted:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774604-mirena-iud-problems

After seeing a doctor, she agreed that the most likely cause for my weight loss issues was the hormonal IUD. Now, I know that several people have Mirena and love it, and they experience no weight gaining/losing issues at all. However, it was just a disaster with me -- weight gain, acne, and I couldn't lose a pound no matter how much I dieted or worked out. While the doctor said that this problem isn't typical of Mirena, she sees enough patients that experience these effects of Mirena that it isn't exactly shocking either. I guess the hormones just affect people differently.

I finally had it removed a few days ago, and I'm eager to hopefully start seeing results from my diet and exercise efforts -- FINALLY! But I don't want to get ahead of myself since I don't know how long it's going to take for my body to readjust hormonally and start shedding the weight.

For those of you who experienced my same problems with Mirena, how long did it take for you to start seeing weight loss results after having it removed? If it takes a while, I just don't want to feel disappointed and scared that there's still something wrong with me if I don't lose weight immediately. Did you start losing weight immediately after removal, or did it take a while for your body to get back to normal? Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I had my IUD removed in October but I started taking birth control pills so I did not see a drop in weight.
  • starjumper12
    Options
    i've never had an iud, but i've been in fertility treatments for years now, including progesterone treatments which is the active hormone in your iud. once the offending hormone is removed, you should start to see the difference almost right away.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose the first week after I had mine out, but I DID stop gaining, which was a blessing!

I had mine out September 18. I had gallbladder surgery, a tubal and an ablation on October 26. From the time I got the IUD out to when I had surgery, I barely exercised and I didn't watch what I was eating. The first week after surgery, I didn't get off the couch except to go to bed at night and i ate whatever I wanted (including an entire pizza in one sitting) and I lost 7 pounds.

I put a couple back on, though I think that was PMS (hard to tell because of the ablation), but I'm back to tracknig and exercising and for the first time in almost two years, I'm losing weight easily. I'm so glad I had it out.
  • bstarkie
    Options
    I usually do not take part in the message board but I relate to this post because I was in your shoes. It took a little while for me to start dropping weight, like a couple months... I don't know that it was just because of hormones either. I think I was having issues because I was a little depressed and didn't really have a ton of motivation. Hopefully yours goes a little quicker but be patient just in case. Each body is different and it takes a little while for your hormones to get back to normal.
  • cwag_afw
    cwag_afw Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I didn't try to lose the weight after I had mine removed but I can say I felt better in general within a few days of having mine removed. Mirena was a nightmare for me!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to add that while I was up a couple pounds this past week, my clothes are significantly looser, which is really what matters.
  • Nickih85
    Options
    It's a relief to know that you all started losing weight after having Mirena removed. It's just been a few days, so I can't tell much difference in weight yet. I'm just hoping it doesn't take months for things to be normal again. I'm tired of having this extra weight and feeling like my body just won't cooperate!

Hopefully things change for me soon now that I have the Mirena out. I have an appointment to have the non-hormonal IUD, Paragard, put in soon. I hope that using a non-hormonal birth control will be the solution.
  • bkitty28
    bkitty28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my IUD removed March 16th. I have lost 7lbs. I
    Have been exercising a lot and eati g better. But the weight has been falling off. My obgyn wpuld tell me that Mirena dis bot cause weight gain. I strongly disagree. I have always been a thin person. Having neber taking any birth control prior to having my daughter I did not know how it would afect me. I held on to the last 20 lbs I gained during my pregnancy. I have tried to lose it for 2 1/2 years. Long story short. Taking the Merana out was the best thing
    I ever did.
  • sarandipity21
    Options
    I had my IUD removed only about 5 weeks ago in Mid April 2013, and have been feeling more and more normal as each week! But no weight loss yet :( It took me a long time to realize that my Mirena was what has been causing me SO MANY side effects for the past 9 years now...including the inability to lose weight after going up over 30 lbs! I just just stayed at the same weight no matter what I did , or didn't do for that matter!! It has been so frustrating! I'm really hoping I will also begin losing weight again soon! I'm very hopeful. I finally have a period again!! I didn't exactly "miss" it....but I really don't think not having a period for 9 years is good for you!! And Everone keeps telling me that maybe I have a thyroid problem...but I honestly think it has been the hormones in the IUD after all the online reading I have done of other women with Mirena. If I do begin losing weight, I guess I will know for sure!!
  • Channs75
    Channs75 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never post things but I'm getting my IUD out tomorrow and am a little nervous did any of you have adverse side affects from taking it out??
  • muaylex
    muaylex Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have Mirena for five full years and never have weight problem whatsoever. Nevertheless, I had it removed sept of 2012, and try birth control pill instead (which I never have try the pill before). Within 6 months of taking pill, my weight went from 124 to 135 within few months, bloated all the time, feel fat, and always hungry. I love Mirena and wish I could use it again but I'm about to get married in two weeks and we have already planned to start family within a few years.
  • patmarshall
    Options
    I got the Mirena to treat irregular and long-lasting periods 7 months ago related to perimenopause. The nuisance symptoms disappeared over time which was great. Within 3 days of insertion I had extremely tender breasts and started feeling fatigued for no obvious other reason. Like being 4 months pregnant. Within the first week I gained 5 pounds and at four weeks I'd gained a total of 15 pounds. Nobody can convince me this wasn't entirely attributable to the Mirena. I'm athletic and track my food and still I couldn't hold pounds lost. I gave my body time to adjust but if I'm not super strict with calories i was finding the scale would creep up even more! Had the iud removed today because I can't tolerate what's happening to my body any longer. I had minimal cramping for about an hour afterwards. Drinking water like crazy and will train an hour daily plus hot yoga 4x/week along with homeopathic liver cleanse and low sodium regimen. I'm crossing my fingers that my body reacts just as quickly to the removal as it did to insertion. If anybody out there has any advice please help!
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I had tons of problems with the IUC, I gained 40 lbs in the year that I had it and lost all that weight rapidly after having the IUC removed.
  • patmarshall
    Options
    Going on 3 weeks post-removal, down 5 lbs and10 more to go. I recommend taking macca, it's been super helpful to reset my hormones.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    IUD weighs approximately seven pounds, so you should see an immediate drop.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    For those of you who experienced my same problems with Mirena, how long did it take for you to start seeing weight loss results after having it removed? If it takes a while, I just don't want to feel disappointed and scared that there's still something wrong with me if I don't lose weight immediately. Did you start losing weight immediately after removal, or did it take a while for your body to get back to normal? Thanks for the advice!
    I had it for 5 years, got it out in March and haven't had any significant weight loss.
  • paulagail
    Options
    To whomever said the Mirena weighs 7 lbs, it is the size of a tooth flosser and weighs next to nothing.
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena a few years ago and it was awful. It's the hormones that it excretes that can make you retain water, hence the scales not moving.

If you are counting calories and being active where possible there's no reason why you shouldn't start losing. Don't be too hard on yourself, everyone is different, it will happen, be patient xx
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    IUD weighs approximately seven pounds, so you should see an immediate drop.

please please note your sarcasm in a post like this.....some might take is seriously.

to others the immediate weight drop is not actual weight...it is probably just fluids and water retention.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says that hormonal BC doesn't make you gain weight, and I'd have to agree. However I have not been able to drop weight the way I could when not using it. I'm bloated a lot and the cravings are sometimes ridiculous. Can't wait to get my paragard!